Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Helical Gears and OD Ring/Pinion options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 01:51 AM   #1

Default Helical Gears and OD Ring/Pinion options?

Just picked up my first TF2 in a trade. It's, not a disaster, but it's a mess. She's lived a rough life. I'm enjoying the process of rehabbing the rig but as it's my first TF2 I don't know some of the basic info I need to know.

First: Does anyone else, besides RC4WD make helical gears for the Yota II axles? (my rig is a Marlin Crawler)

Second: Does anyone make an OD ring and pinon like they do for axial? I'm aware of the OD tcase, but based on RC4WD's listing it looks like 27% is the least amount of OD you can get and this will be a trail rig as well as my class 1 comp and 27% is too much OD for the trail.

The gears are intact, but they are very worn. It's not unusual for a wear pattern to exist but the pinion is sharp enough to slice your fingers with minimal pressure. It's very clearly wearing out. There was grease but it clearly had not been serviced since it was new and has paid the price. If I'm going to replace the gears I'd prefer to go helical, but RC4WD is sure proud of those things! I'm not sure I want to invest $74 in a set of front and rear ring and pinon gears.

Appreciate the help for a new to RC4WD guy!
IronOKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Helical Gears and OD Ring/Pinion options?

Unless your hung up on the scale factor of the Yota axles, your best bet is to convert to SCX10.2 axles. Much stronger all around, overdrive/underdrive options, and JEC makes some slick leaf spring mounts for them. They are a bit wider than stock, but proper wheel choice will keep most of the tire tucked.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Unless your hung up on the scale factor of the Yota axles, your best bet is to convert to SCX10.2 axles. Much stronger all around, overdrive/underdrive options, and JEC makes some slick leaf spring mounts for them. They are a bit wider than stock, but proper wheel choice will keep most of the tire tucked.

Thank you, I'm not overly worried about the scale aspect. I do have an email in to JEC. It looks like they are out of stock for now. Either way an axle swap is a ways off. Thought It might be worth seeing if there was an easy overdrive option in the interim.

Great advice though, may be worth holding off on the gears until the axle swap is a reality!
Old 09-06-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I just ordered the last two ar44 sets in brass this morning. Sorry about that! In fact I read your initial post this morning and it reminded me to order them.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I just ordered the last two ar44 sets in brass this morning. Sorry about that! In fact I read your initial post this morning and it reminded me to order them.

hahahah DOH! I'm not ready to make that swap just yet. I am going to refurbish the stock axles and run them for awhile first.

I'm going to make a post about the truck on here once I finish getting it rehabilitated. It's a fun project but boy was this guy hiding a TON of problems.

Helical Gears and OD Ring/Pinion options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinion and ring gears? what are my options? NeoPyro RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 02-21-2021 01:23 AM
TF2 Ring and pinion alternative options? High Angle Five RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 05-01-2017 01:40 PM
Helical gears broken pinion shaft? whitrzac RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 09-05-2016 06:35 PM
Helical ring and pinion gears sets with an offset pinion? Calderwood General Crawlers 6 09-14-2013 09:06 PM