Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Question Re RC4wd helical gear install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Question Re RC4wd helical gear install

Hi guys has anyone installed the helical gear set from RC4wd? Going into my RTR 4 runner , but the problem is it seems there is quite a bit of play? More so than shimming would solve? I知 sure I知 doing something wrong. I知 using Vanquish RTR driveshafts.
BryanG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #2

Default Re: Question Re RC4wd helical gear install

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanG76 View Post
Hi guys has anyone installed the helical gear set from RC4wd? Going into my RTR 4 runner , but the problem is it seems there is quite a bit of play? More so than shimming would solve? I知 sure I知 doing something wrong. I知 using Vanquish RTR driveshafts.

Anyone have experience with this? Bueller? Thanks again guys.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:23 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yep. It's not just you. The gear mesh is too loose (but better than as-delivered) even after shimming as tight as the housing allows.

It's been awhile since I installed a set, but I remember looking at some of the parts and thinking that you could possibly grind off one side to allow adding more shims to the other... can't remember which part/parts though! You can omit the stupid e clip on the pinion which will let you push the pinion gear in further (until it hits the spool, then back it up 0.1mm, or until you can barely get the driveshaft pin in, whicher happens first) just be sure to shim between the driveshaft and the outer pinion bearing so there is NO play otherwise the helical gears will push/pull the pinion in/out under load. If the driveshaft pin can barely go in (pinion shimmed as tight in the 3rd member as possible) but you still have clearance before hitting the spool, you can sand/file some material off the mating surface of the 3rd member to bring it all in a little closer, just make sure you don't end up taking off so much that you preload the carrier bearings too much. I'm sure you could clearance the housing (or was it the bearing seats on the spool?) to get the ring gear to shove over a little tighter to the pinion. If you want better than stock, you're gonna have to get creative.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Yep. It's not just you. The gear mesh is too loose (but better than as-delivered) even after shimming as tight as the housing allows.

It's been awhile since I installed a set, but I remember looking at some of the parts and thinking that you could possibly grind off one side to allow adding more shims to the other... can't remember which part/parts though! You can omit the stupid e clip on the pinion which will let you push the pinion gear in further (until it hits the spool, then back it up 0.1mm, or until you can barely get the driveshaft pin in, whicher happens first) just be sure to shim between the driveshaft and the outer pinion bearing so there is NO play otherwise the helical gears will push/pull the pinion in/out under load. If the driveshaft pin can barely go in (pinion shimmed as tight in the 3rd member as possible) but you still have clearance before hitting the spool, you can sand/file some material off the mating surface of the 3rd member to bring it all in a little closer, just make sure you don't end up taking off so much that you preload the carrier bearings too much. I'm sure you could clearance the housing (or was it the bearing seats on the spool?) to get the ring gear to shove over a little tighter to the pinion. If you want better than stock, you're gonna have to get creative.
Clear, I appreciate the advice and love the challenge; seems simple enough , so I'll report back if anything comes up; thanks for the reply!

Question Re RC4wd helical gear install - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
27T/8T helical bevel gear Edison Axial SCX10 II 3 07-24-2018 05:59 AM
Can't install pinion gear on RC4WD motor? Bully2RockRomper Newbie General 0 02-26-2015 09:25 PM
Anyone running the helical gear set? arnesto RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 05-20-2013 11:03 PM
Helical gear question quickmr2 Kyosho Crawlers 5 05-16-2007 02:55 PM