Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: T-T-T-T-Too Rad For you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: T-T-T-T-Too Rad For you

Now i have to get some ground hawgs..... Haha looks kick ass dude
mud bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #22
Sinking with the ship

So after struggling with the front steering stabilizer mount I finally got it ironed out on the 4th attempt. I then stated referencing my bank of old school show trucks and found several that didn't just have a dual mount set up but a quad mount. Sooooo I cut up 2 more 70mm shocks and through some well placed spacing was able to get 4 of them on the truck.

I then moved my attention back to the body, using a wrecked spare 4runner body set (was partially ran over...long story) I robbed the chrome grill, bumper, and valance. detailed the grill with a sharpie marker for the grill slots and marker lights

I then cut up a set of wipers and turned mine into dual wipers... Pink paint coming soon
Attached Images

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

SHINYYYY !
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Those wheels are totally rad dude! Does the guy make them for sale or did you just get the hookup?
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #25

The chrome front end did wonders for the period-correctness.

What a killer build!!
CruisinE2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
Sinking with the ship

Some more done last night, whats a show truck without a stereo system? Due to time constraints I opted for the CChand subwoofer, I then sourced some mini speakers from amazon and a DIY bluetooth connection kit. I then used some self stick felt to cover the boxes.

Double wiper set up got a nice coat of pink paint
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Now it's got the ability to cause seismic pulses to match the side stripes!

MINITRUX that go BOOM FTW!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:05 PM   #28
Sinking with the ship

This morning was rather productive, got a lot done on the interior. Nothing says 80s show truck like custom door panels.

last week I carefully removed these from the body, RC4WD had them glued in pretty well but I managed to pop them without damage.

The rear seat I was worried I wouldnt be able to felt with the little hump in the middle and the embossed ends, so I said flock it and flocked it...the second attempt was better, I used gray paint rather then elmers glue.

for the fronts it was back to the self stick felt, I was able to maintain the line definition in the seat and also covered the top part of the console.

Detailed the photo etched parts on the CChand sub box, and sat them on the rear bench assembly for a quick mock up pick...looks the part.

More to come to tomorrow...gotta fire the cricut machine back and and also finish up the model painting aspects and hopefully itll be warm enough spray the paint the chassis and axles too one morning this week.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #29
RCC Addict

This thing is sick bruiser! I remember seein trucks like this when i was a kid. The magic u work to scale it down is amazing! Keep up the great work brother!
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #30
Sinking with the ship

So I got the speakers installed in the back seat, in true giant kick box fashion it just barely fit with the front seats...more disappointing is that its hard to tell its in there. I also added some shock boots to the shifters, bendy straws for the win!

I then started on the SBC install...this has turned into a quite the task... id equate to trying to do it a 1:1...firewall issues, headers clearance issues, servo clearance issues... but I will get it figured put

Old 11-22-2021, 10:12 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Damn, I thought you were done - but the hits keep comin'!
Old 12-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #32
Sinking with the ship

Okay so heres an update in a half... for starters, this tiny truck inspired a big truck purchase...I present to you the 1:1 Too Rad For You II

Complete with tilt bed (tilts to the passenger side too but gotta replace actuator) and SBC 383 stroker.... you know, for proper yeeting thru the car show isles.

Don't mind the awful wheels...they're already off and some 37s have gone on and some Weld Roadhawk wheels will be here Thursday

Alright so enough big truck talk, onto tiny truck talk. The belt tilting just back wasn't going to cut it... soooo out came the styrene, some hinges from Ace Hardware and a few hours later we got a full tilt system...

I ran out of this square stock styrene so before I servo actuate it I wanna brace it up some, although its pretty damn solid being bolted together with some M2 scale hardware for looks and all glued.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:14 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

That's a hella clean 1:1, and of course I just don't know what else to say about the scaler...
Old 12-07-2021, 03:00 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
That's a hella clean 1:1, and of course I just don't know what else to say about the scaler...
For sure! Them Fuels match the truck & colors perfectly, sad to see them go. They would've looked a lot better wrapped in a more aggressive MT...

I like the tilt beds, usefulness always came to mind. In my line of work they'd be nice for loading the bed up with green waste, pull up and dump.

Veterans deserve a whole month too...

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 12-07-2021 at 03:03 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:29 AM   #35
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Thanks man, appreciate the feedback !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
For sure! Them Fuels match the truck & colors perfectly, sad to see them go. They would've looked a lot better wrapped in a more aggressive MT...

I like the tilt beds, usefulness always came to mind. In my line of work they'd be nice for loading the bed up with green waste, pull up and dump.
The fuels just don’t go with an old school show truck theme IMO… to me, anything larger then 16.5 is a no go for his period and I personally prefer a 15. The welds that’ll be here Thursday are period correct and they’ll look good wrapped in the Toyos until I get some 38.5” swampers for it.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:31 AM   #36
Sinking with the ship

Okay its update time! USTE is quickly approaching and the mad dash to finish the Too Rad has begun... I started by breaking down the majority of the truck to paint the axles, suspension bits, and tilt bed rack.

I dusted the axles in a blue similar to the body stripes and shock boots and then painted the knuckles, steering links, U bolt flip, and custom dual steering stabilizer bracket pink. I also found some old touring car disc brake/wheel hexes and painted the slots and back side pink as well. Hard to tell in this photo but I also added some steel braided brakes lines too.

An old school show truck deserved an old school NY plate. My go to for scale license plates is Michelle from Krawler Koncepts and she nailed the old style Liberty plates.

In the back, I finally painted Pat/62Pyro's old school SCX10 links that I used as ladder bars. You may also noticed I started swapping out all the hardware for scale hardware and added pink washers too. The rear flex line to the rear brake junction block was also installed as well.

Back suspension and axles got treated to the same color combo as the front.

Utilizing some old ice tea caps I mad up some rear drum brakes, with backing plates that have hold down spring pins, the slot for the star adjuster and the bleeder screw. Picture hanging wire served as the scale 3/16 hard brake link.

Added in the cab back. Because these come with really nicely painted body I had to be craft in hiding the seam line. I found pics of 1:1 show trucks that would have stainless panels on the rears of the cab when they had tilt beds and mimic'd that with some chrome vinyl, topped it off with more livery and because everything I do takes me forever I felt the saying "Rome wasn't built in a day" was fitting. Fuel cell was relocated, utilized and some body mounts flipped upside down so the bed doesn't slam were installed.

front of bed was treated to a similar treatment.

I have been working a lot on the engine. Typically I find v8 swapped Toyotas dumb...but show sooo moar 8" rear snapping POWA. I started with a SSD RC V8, detailed with an OG Rogue Elements Edelbrock dress up kit, RC4WD aluminum pulley kit, RC4WD headers, 8MM style spark plug wires and a chopped an alternator down some from a vintage Monogram models IROC Camaro kit. You may notice the smaller magnet where the thermostat sits...more on that later.

Due to time constraints, I decided to cheap at tiny trucks and bought one the RC4WD engine bay kits and chopped the old 22RE clear out of it. Some addtional trimming to the inner wells was also necessary due to the triple mounted shocks but I made it work. I told myself I was going to go crazy with engine bay details but my OCD got the best of me and out came the picture hanging wire and micro hardware for scale brake lines off the master

This also applied the wiring hardness and connector on the wiper motor

Last but not least I seen Scale Built on IG was building a blue tooth, working, subwoofer box with working equalizer screen. After some conversation he whipped up the 1 off custom one for the bed of Too Rad and even matched the heart beat livery on the side of the truck. a 9 volt under the bed powers the system and a small 2 position toggle with mounted in the bed controls the power. This way even if the main part of the truck is off it can still be rocking.

Still to finish list...
Battery terminals courtesy if Falvey Design Worx
MSD box and coil (still deciding between the larger made SB ones of the Falvey ones)
washer and coolant jugs from Tim Bloore VS Customs
relocate rear facing KC lights
Some sort of muffler and scale exhaust
Additional scare hardware where I havent installed it yet
Proper 3D printed Dual Wipers with wiper arm boots from a Harry's Wheel Shop
simulated roll bar padding
radio antenna
Additional Falevy scale battery in bed because of stereo system
Install black aluminum servo arms on Reefs mini servos for bed tilting

andddddddddddddd if time allows I scooped one of these Tiny TV kits to do a custom in dash screen...but we will see how far I get.

https://tinycircuits.com/products/tinytv-diy-kit
Old 01-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Oh, hell YEAH!

The totally tubular Toyota is still being tweaked to perfection - what a dream rig...
Old 01-26-2022, 08:19 AM   #38
j0e
Rock Crawler

ok, this project is awesome, but a tiny screen?!?
That's next level, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
...andddddddddddddd if time allows I scooped one of these Tiny TV kits to do a custom in dash screen...but we will see how far I get.

https://tinycircuits.com/products/tinytv-diy-kit
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Super rad, man!

It's like I'm flipping through the pages of an old magazine!
4wd4ws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:47 PM   #40
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Oh, hell YEAH!

The totally tubular Toyota is still being tweaked to perfection - what a dream rig...

Thanks for the props dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
ok, this project is awesome, but a tiny screen?!?
That's next level, man!

Haha yeah man! Gotta keep stepping my game up where and when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd4ws View Post
Super rad, man!

It's like I'm flipping through the pages of an old magazine!

I wish I could find a digital set of the late 80 early 90s mags to flip through

So quick update, I didnt work on this as much as I wanted to this weekend, as some of you have have seen on social media I received back my Chino Clone after years and I was super stoked about that so some my attention went to that as well as a few other trucks to get ready for USTE. I did however get my super detailed dual wiper blades with arm booties...whatever they printed these things in is amazing, the detail is is that of an injection molded part...maybe even better.

I had to take a pic of them with the full size truck ones ill be using this season on the full size Too Rad.

Got them painted up fully and installed

Dare I say they look Too Rad?

Next up was something that was bothering me for some time. When I did the bed rug with Toyota logo, the pink was quite like the pink in the livery. When ordering a different multi bundle of stick on felt a darker more accurate pink was also in the mix

So I fired up the Cricut machine and cut that out.

Last but not least, I had this really nicely printed battery from Falvey Design worx. Considering the stereo system this thing has I figured a dual battery system would be something logical and maybe down the road Ill even had a second alternator to the engine as well.

Still waiting on some more parts to show this week, then ill be wrapping things up for USTE... I don't think it'll be "done" but it will be done enough for the event.

T-T-T-T-Too Rad For you - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rad little hardbody from MST! Shinchu Paint and Body 11 06-16-2018 07:15 AM
Robs Rad Rubicon slobert Videos! 2 08-20-2008 10:26 AM
Rad Rado Terminator13 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 02-16-2007 10:12 PM