Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > RC4WD

Notices

Thread: AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Axial Wraith & SCX10/Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #241
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Axial Wraith & SCX10/Honcho

Pulled the Wraith out the other day to run it and noticed I had no low gear. Tore into the trans and the output shaft is snapped in two, I have the HD version on order. Not complaining at all though, I've put this thing through hell, including 4s on a Pro4 3300kv on a regular basis.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #242
Quarry Creeper

So it turns out I was wrong, that's actually one of the gear shafts. I ordered the R3 trans shaft set that's listed in the replacement parts on the site, but it still doesn't have that shaft. Is the only way to get that to order an entire new gear set? I don't need gears, just the shaft.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
So it turns out I was wrong, that's actually one of the gear shafts. I ordered the R3 trans shaft set that's listed in the replacement parts on the site, but it still doesn't have that shaft. Is the only way to get that to order an entire new gear set? I don't need gears, just the shaft.
Hpiguy did you get yours figured out? I have the same problem I broke my stock original and didn't think much of it I had the spare gear set (i had for 2 years) to take the shaft from now i broke that one to.I don't know if I should fix it again or convert to a different 2 speed set up. My setup is a Turnigy 8th scale sensored brushless on 4s.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #244
Rock Crawler

I am considering getting one of these however I have a cheaper radio with a 3rd channel that's not adjustable. Just on/off. Will this be a problem?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #245
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
I am considering getting one of these however I have a cheaper radio with a 3rd channel that's not adjustable. Just on/off. Will this be a problem?

A 2-position third channel should be okay for shifting duties as long as you can adjust endpoints (which is important).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 05:01 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Refer to the info posted on page two..
Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 AM   #247
Pebble Pounder

Would this work with the newly released Axial Bomber?

It's supposed to share many of its parts with the other Axial vehicles like the wraith but I'm not sure if it's transmission is one of the shared components.

TIA!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #248
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsEveryTime View Post
Hpiguy did you get yours figured out? I have the same problem I broke my stock original and didn't think much of it I had the spare gear set (i had for 2 years) to take the shaft from now i broke that one to.I don't know if I should fix it again or convert to a different 2 speed set up. My setup is a Turnigy 8th scale sensored brushless on 4s.
No I did not, and this is the last RC4WD product that I will ever buy. They list the R3 2 speed shaft set as replacement parts on their site, so I ordered those. Not one of the shafts in that set will work in the AX2, they are different lengths, and the E clip positions are different. When I brought that mistake to their attention, I was informed I could send them back, but because I had opened the package (Silly me right? Opening the parts that were listed as replacements), I would be charged a restocking fee if I wanted to return them, and that they had no plans to offer replacements shafts for the AX2, only the full gear set or nothing at all.

Thanks a lot RC4WD
Old 01-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #249

After reading yup got my mind set on getting one of these bad boys. Only question I have is I have a spare sidewinder 3 with a Castle Creations 1410-1Y 4-Pole Brushless Motor (3800kV) sitting on my bench. Would this work well in a wraith?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #250
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum976 View Post
After reading yup got my mind set on getting one of these bad boys. Only question I have is I have a spare sidewinder 3 with a Castle Creations 1410-1Y 4-Pole Brushless Motor (3800kV) sitting on my bench. Would this work well in a wraith?

The biggest problem with that setup would be cogging at low (I.e., crawling) speeds that is common with sensorless systems. If you want to use that ESC, you would do better pairing it with a good brushed motor. If you want to go brushless, you'd be much better off going with a good sensored setup.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #251

Yeah that's what I figured. Still wrapping my head around proper setups for cralwing. I still want to be able to crawl but kick it into high gear to have some bashing fun. Not opposed to picking up a new setup. Just would be nice to use some of my old racing stuff I had laying around and kept everything water proofed for fun in th emud. Any recommendations? much rather buy once with setup paired to the transmission to give me best of both worlds
Old 01-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #252
I wanna be Dave

Mud will shorten the life of just about all of your components, so no need to break the bank on electronics if you really want to play in the mud. You're probably best off with an inexpensive brushed setup (27t or 35t) on 3S. You could use your sidewinder 3 and pick up a relatively inexpensive brushed motor (Holmes Torquemaster Sport or even cheaper) and get the performance characteristics you're looking for with a single speed tranny and the right gearing. Make sure you clean and lube everything carefully after each muddy or wet run. Re the tranny, if it were my rig, I wouldn't take a 2-speed in the mud with anything approaching regularity - too many moving parts at risk. I can lift the front tires of my Asender off the ground doing a full-throttle launch on pavement using a 35T equivalent brushed motor on 3S and crawl very nicely with the same gearing.

If you're willing to skip the mud, then it would start to make sense to look at the 2-speed with a good brushed or sensored brushless combo. In that case, I'd suggest a Holmes Hobbies combo (BLE ESC with a Puller Pro BL 2200 or 3500 kv) on 3S). You'll get great low-speed resolution for crawling and lots of grin-inducing top end, especially in high gear. Just keep in mind that, as soon as you go brushless (esp if you go 3s), all weak links in your truck will be revealed quickly.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #253
Pebble Pounder

I've been out of the game for a while. Is this AX2 still the best option for 2-speed in a SCX10 based rig?

I built this thing a bunch of years back using the R2 with dig and 2-speed and it was nothing but trouble, eating through gears every 10 hours or so, not shifting, getting stuck in dig... I love the RC4WD scale products, but I'm hesitant to buy another RC4WD tranny. Still, I want that 2 speed back. I can live without the dig.

AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Axial Wraith & SCX10/Honcho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith & Honcho | Trailing in the Forest burtonkidd Videos! 1 01-15-2012 03:47 PM
2 speed transmission for honcho Dfrog Newbie General 18 03-28-2011 07:52 AM