Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Information

Notices

Thread: Super mini class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #161
RCC Addict

Default Re: Super mini class

Agreed, 1.9 wheels, I'm out.

I've already built a roller essentially....

I will stop spending money right now if 2.2 wheels aren't an option.

This build is so fun, I'm using parts that are collecting dust, or cheap as dirt.

Electronics and VP parts are next, which will cost bucks, but I've got less than $100 invested now.

I'll could pull the plug now and not look back.

I can't say it enough, it's not a "mini", it's a mini super........12" gates will do the work regulating the build.

3.2 wheels would be freaking awesome, I just don't have any, yet..if I did, they might already be in the build..

Last edited by MRCrackhead; 03-18-2015 at 06:52 PM.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #162
Rock Crawler

I think it will look more like a super with 2.2s anyway. Its supposed to be a "mini super" right?
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #163
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I am still on the "no restrictions" wagon too. I think if you want to restrict the cars, you should do it with the gates. Make the gates 11" and that could force your small tires but we can still feel unlimited.

I don't know if this idea is any answer but I feel a big problem we are having right now in this hobby is that we are stagnet. Driving stock type cars does not get the blood flowing, building and being forced to think does.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #164
Rock Crawler

I feel like the comp scene has become like NASCAR. All the rigs are very similar, so its mostly about how much money you spend and how much time you spend behind the wheel. That's fine if that's what you are after. Some guys want more tho. They want to be innovative and design and build new things. I would like to see an unlimited class. Run anything you want. No limits on anything, just fit thru the gates. Let the builders come up with the next big thing. The way it is now all that can be done is weight shaving and tire mods.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #165
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

In this hypothetical realm where the 12" gate smites down unlimited trucks, how tall could the tires could be pushed in the opinions of these build goers?

Keep talking guys, because the more yall get the juices flowing the more I like the unlimited side of "unlimited" minis. I'm already there with regard to no rim limits and practically every other aspect being open.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #166
RCC Addict

I'm good. I'm just gonna run a CO2 tank or two w/ a servo operated air valve and blow the gates away. Not touching right?
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #167
RCC Addict

Awesome, I'm glad you're on board Holmes.

The 12" gate really is the truth behind all lies.

I had sporty tires on my build to mock up, they were simply too big to steer, at the narrow width I was shooting for.

My rig sits at 11" wheel base right now, and I'm stressed that it's much to long, but I don't know.

It's getting shortened, but i don't know how much, because there are no rules.

Stress, or fun, whatever. Good times.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #168

So with just a few select word changes the Unlimited Trail document becomes just an Unlimited Vehicle document, almost like it was meant to be that way from the start and it just had some baby fat to shed. No scale nuthin, not even the word truck.

16" standard class and 12" mini class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #169
RCC Addict

It looks like it's unanimous on not restricting tire size...well, except for one.
I had never even considered how one would fit knuckles and a weight system in a 1.9 rim. And I'm not sold on 11" gates.

Anyway, as it stands, there are no rules...not even an authorized class yet. I say people build up what they can and eventually it'll all sort itself out. Ideal wheelbase, ideal width, and yes tire size/width. The more built, the quicker the sweet spot for all these dimensions will be found.

Then the rules can be put on paper.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #170

then we add a sprinkle of what a Classic Comp course is (work in progress, hacking out of the main rulebook for now)

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 03-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

Anyway, as it stands, there are no rules...not even an authorized class yet.
I just authorized it one post above yours
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #172
RCC Addict

Yes, John, I saw it after I posted.
You snuck in here while I was typing...twice.

Last edited by Solitaire; 03-18-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #173

I must be sneaky.

I have been in my graveyard staring at everything and thinking about what could be built. Literally endless possibilities except that gate!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #174
RCC Addict

Well, after years of figuring out how to widen axles, we now have to come up with a decent way to shorten some...considerably.

I have an idea Erik may have something up his sleeve in this department.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #175

I bet there are alot of ideas brewing! I even have a set of twin force axles already made that are the correct width.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #176
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Awesome! It will be cool to see all the new builds. I hope to start mine soon.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #177
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
So with just a few select word changes the Unlimited Trail document becomes just an Unlimited Vehicle document, almost like it was meant to be that way from the start and it just had some baby fat to shed. No scale nuthin, not even the word truck.

16" standard class and 12" mini class.

Am I reading this correctly?

There are now two more "super" classes?

12" and 16" inch gate unlimited?

So the mini super is born, and guys running Bergs/XRs can add rear steer and have a new rig ?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #178
RCC Addict

These unlimited classes sound awesome at first glance, they have my brain turning (sorry I am a little late to the game), but does anyone have ideas on how we can get more people excited about these classes. I hate to say it but a lot of the people out there don't get as excited as us about the prospect of building something totally different. Boston Crawlers holds an unlimited event once a year and each year I am bummed out by how few people go out of their way to bring something truly "unlimited".

Maybe if enough of us start doing build threads it could drive some excitement, but perhaps we can think of some clever way to motivate the rest of the herd so we have people to compete against.

My other concern with an unlimited class is that at some point people will figure out what plain ole' works and then everyone in the unlimited class will do pretty much the same thing, and throw money at it for exotic materials and fancy bits and bobs. At that point you will essentially have another 2.2P class but you will have diluted both of them.

Maybe the way to increase innovation is modifying the 2.2P class rules instead of creating another new class. Don't turn it on its head but start with small changes that would allow drivers/fabricators to try some new ideas without having to toss out their entire rig they spent a year building.

Edited on 3/30/15, after spending more time thinking about it.

Last edited by BC-Brian; 03-30-2015 at 02:30 PM.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #179
RCC Addict

Can't say I'm sold on a 2.2 unlimited. 2.2 pro is still the premiere class that attracts the most drivers to events. With 16" gates and 11" track width, 4WS isn't as crucial.

The new mini supers with 12" gates and likely close to a 9" track could definitely benefit from the extra steering.

With all the extra classes being brought forward, the differences are starting to get a bit blurred. Could end up being a nightmare for an event coordinator.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #180
Pebble Pounder

What happened that this thread died?
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Super mini class - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USRCCA Class 1 - Super Class - Cut N Shut Tire Catalog Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 32 01-29-2023 05:10 AM
how much larger is super class chassis than 2.2 class? SmokeScream Superclass Crawlers 10 09-21-2010 09:26 AM
2.2 class & super class forums? dpdsurf Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 09-08-2008 12:16 PM
Diameter links in alu for super class or class super scale? ELCORDOBES Newbie General 2 01-07-2008 12:15 PM
Colorado Comp #5...........Super Class and 2.2 Class Videos BENDER Videos! 37 06-06-2007 07:46 PM