Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Information

Notices

Thread: 2017 .... its coming and we need growth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2017 .... its coming and we need growth

Crazy idea..... and incomplete for sure but

Newcomer/novice class.
Gates 1-5 are set a little easier...
Any gates completed after 5 are bonus points...
No point out at 40 penalty points.....
New drivers then will get the whole 6 min of drive time...

Like i said just thoughts....and incomplete ones at that
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

just a pure novice class. it will be enough to get em hooked. and 3 wins puts them in modified or shafty.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post

Newcomer/novice class.

With some tweaks for individual clubs something like above might work...
IMO it's the no point out (drive full 6min) that's important for a novice driver. I'd just stop scoring them at 40 points and let them drive timer out making sure they don't destroy course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
just a pure novice class. it will be enough to get em hooked. and 3 wins puts them in modified or shafty.

I'd be open to either class (not to drive myself) locally.
Novice modified class and or Novice shafty class.

When you guys post up comps offer novice class.
maybe let both 2.2M and 2.2S run together as 1 novice class..
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

hmmm... novice 2.2m and 2.2s as one class? I would just consider it a novice class in a nutshell. novice run what they want as long as is fits a 4lb rule being no less than. and 12.5 wheelbase max. bodies only?

I wouldn't run in the class but id hope it gets it going again. I don't think it will be implemented locally in my area though. not sure if farmer is running anymore comps this year. im not up to par on facebook crap really. I just see a lot of scale comps this season.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #105
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

Newcomer/novice class.

I like the concept of the first 5 being novice friendly then the remainder being bonuses for them and more challenging to pro guys. Would make course building easier at events.

Like letting them run the clock out instead of points for sure

What ever it takes to keep the new guys coming ...
use the sportsman class as a tool to attract more, budget conscious people and encourage drivers to try new things.

Last edited by Robbob; 09-26-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #106
RcBros Hobbies

I feel like we beat this horse up every year, and its the same banter back and fourth.. 90% of the numbers is a result of the local club level. First 5 gates being easier, novice friendly, penalty and points issues should all be done at the club level and if it hasn't been the norm yet, then shame on you.

Large competitions should be that, Large competitions. Media is still 90% of the problem. With RCC, Facebook, and Instagram there should be a large amount of social media postings. Look at amount of live feeds, pics and hash tags from any large scale event, then ask yourself why that sector is growing more and more.

I like the idea of large comps offering payouts, but if you don't have the hype to back it up whats the point? I just sent $500 in product to the RC ROCK CRAWLING CHAMPIONSHIPS along with several other vendors. This is suppose to be the biggest comp of the year right? (this is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings as it shouldn't rest on the organizers, but also the attenders). I didn't see a bleep on any of my news feeds, haven't seen pictures posted on the threads or anything. I know there was roughly 40 guys there.. So how was the comp guys? What did you win? Any pics? Video? This is what breaths life into the hobby, and without making it looks fun and enticing no one will even do the research to buy a RTR kit.

I remember a time when the build sections were hustling and bustling and we had to compete on the first page. Our rigs without a doubt look badass, but until we show them off no one will get the point. I've had to take a step back for other reasons, but this is a community effort that shouldn't be rested on anyone or any three to fix.

The club organizers are to help keep the passion of the new comers and help them learn and become addicted. Its everyone's responsibility to help that new comer discover what a comp rig is. We want RTR rigs but without acknowledging those vendors who donate, and increase sales for all vendors that will always remain a dream. Supply and Demand.. Fuel the amount of hobbyist, so those vendors can meet the demand.

Not having proper help on this forum is another issue. Its sad that Erik has to place the Championship thread and info in the wrong section versus the old days when we were all supported and have specific sections for each event. Makes it even harder to not rely on social media.

Last edited by RcBro; 10-03-2016 at 03:05 PM.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Rc Rock Crawler Champions 2016 Horsemans park videos

5Th Dimension Mark ll Chassis Swap.
Post #171

Here's a few videos.... wish I had shot more of 2.2Pro.
I understand your point...
Old 10-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #108
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Rc Rock Crawler Champions 2016 Horsemans park videos

5Th Dimension Mark ll Chassis Swap.
Post #171

Here's a few videos.... wish I had shot more of 2.2Pro.
I understand your point...
Thank you for sharing!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #109
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
I feel like we beat this horse up every year, and its the same banter back and fourth.. 90% of the numbers is a result of the local club level. First 5 gates being easier, novice friendly, penalty and points issues should all be done at the club level and if it hasn't been the norm yet, then shame on you.

Large competitions should be that, Large competitions. Media is still 90% of the problem. With RCC, Facebook, and Instagram there should be a large amount of social media postings. Look at amount of live feeds, pics and hash tags from any large scale event, then ask yourself why that sector is growing more and more.

I like the idea of large comps offering payouts, but if you don't have the hype to back it up whats the point? I just sent $500 in product to the RC ROCK CRAWLING CHAMPIONSHIPS along with several other vendors. This is suppose to be the biggest comp of the year right? (this is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings as it shouldn't rest on the organizers, but also the attenders). I didn't see a bleep on any of my news feeds, haven't seen pictures posted on the threads or anything. I know there was roughly 40 guys there.. So how was the comp guys? What did you win? Any pics? Video? This is what breaths life into the hobby, and without making it looks fun and enticing no one will even do the research to buy a RTR kit.

I remember a time when the build sections were hustling and bustling and we had to compete on the first page. Our rigs without a doubt look badass, but until we show them off no one will get the point. I've had to take a step back for other reasons, but this is a community effort that shouldn't be rested on anyone or any three to fix.

The club organizers are to help keep the passion of the new comers and help them learn and become addicted. Its everyone's responsibility to help that new comer discover what a comp rig is. We want RTR rigs but without acknowledging those vendors who donate, and increase sales for all vendors that will always remain a dream. Supply and Demand.. Fuel the amount of hobbyist, so those vendors can meet the demand.

Not having proper help on this forum is another issue. Its sad that Erik has to place the Championship thread and info in the wrong section versus the old days when we were all supported and have specific sections for each event. Makes it even harder to not rely on social media.
I would have to agree a lot with this post. I was there and shame on me for not taking more pictures. I was however judging almost all day in sporty then judged again first thing in pro. I for the most part was more concerned with getting my courses ran (truck repaired) than worrying about photos. Could I have made time for a few more photos sure but several others had opportunities as well to take them and didn't.

This has to be a community thing and done by everyone in order to get our voice heard. The local clubs will do what they have to get new people interested but if they can't see what a big comp is all about then the local guys will be fighting a never ending battle to get exposure.

I for one will try and make the time for pictures next time I attend a big comp! BTW Thanks Will for the RCBROS Burly Tubes! They will be put to good use!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Im gonna let worlds roll out with their event and then we're taking our thread back! The while thread is Rc Rock crawling Championship.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #111

I recently got reintroduced to rc after 30 years. Rebuilt an old Tamiya. Just happened across crawling on the forums. I attended 1 Boston Crawlers event this summer and I'm hooked. However the problem, as I see it, is getting a rig together. Local shops have no clue so I've tried piecing knowledge together from forums and bugging BC Brian. There should be a standard starter rig available. Even if is on paper so a novice has a starting point. I won't invest $1000 and find out its not for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Antfarm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antfarm34 View Post
I recently got reintroduced to rc after 30 years. Rebuilt an old Tamiya. Just happened across crawling on the forums. I attended 1 Boston Crawlers event this summer and I'm hooked. However the problem, as I see it, is getting a rig together. Local shops have no clue so I've tried piecing knowledge together from forums and bugging BC Brian. There should be a standard starter rig available. Even if is on paper so a novice has a starting point. I won't invest $1000 and find out its not for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Bully 2 is your cheapest route budget wise.
About the same price as a RTR axial rig "scaler"

Last edited by tapped-out; 10-05-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:42 AM   #113

I did look into the Bully 2 but ended up getting a used/beat up Berg just to dip my toes into Comp. I would like to get a shafty class, as well. My problem might be ignorance of the terminology. I thought shafty class was 1 motor as opposed to moa. I've tried getting info through other sources and usually just get told scx10 or similar, I assume, axle models.
Sorry if I'm taking this thread in the wrong direction. I think this is a great discussion. I guess I got to the show about 10 years too late
Antfarm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 AM   #114
RCC Addict

Stick around, while you may me late to the original party (like i was) the after party is just getting started! We're growing slowly but surely and we're trying to organize things so that we might be able to provide something quality.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #115
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
We're growing slowly but surely and we're trying to organize things so that we might be able to provide something quality.

100% agree
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post

I fully agree with this statement, and I will try to do my part and take some picture and some video while I'm at Worlds.

Without getting the picture and video's out there, their is nothing to keep people interested in what is going on in the crawling world.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Comp Crawlers are a special breed. They are built and designed to challenge the status quo, fight gravity, and put a smile on the face of the driver and spectator alike. Scale Rock Crawlers cannot perform in the same way as comp crawlers, and because of that, competition rc rock crawlers will never die.
I feel that this will always be true. and I can fully back this statement. ive thinned off my heard down to two scalers. but ive kept all of my comp stuff
(besides a set of xr axles), 2.2m and 2.2s

this quote above is full of truth.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 AM   #118
RCC Addict

As a n00b who was converted after seeing my first comp in person, maybe I will just jot down some random thoughts and see what sticks in the morning (I probably shouldn't be posting while dead tired, but oh well). Anyways;

Accessibility...without the RTR or kit support anymore, there is pretty much no hope for any large scale growth of the comp crawler side vs. the scale side. Look at Quadcopters for a minute. That word was unheard of 5 years ago to the normal person and only known by RC flying hobbyists. Now, every person could probably tell you what a "drone" is or who they know that has one. Why? Well they got cheaper, they got exposure, and they got easier to get into as more and more "how to build a quadcopter" tutorials appeared and more manufacturers supported them. This is why I think shafty is the only reasonable way to start people because you can take the axles off any RTR/Kit and slap them into a chassis with an AX10 trans and actually have something to use. There just so happens to be an RC crawling forum where you can learn how to do all this, but first it takes initiative and also knowing that MOA/Shafty rigs exist in the first place.

As much as I hate to say "he who shall not be named" here, he STILL uploads videos of his MOA rigs on Youtube and gets 200k+ views and can get people interested, but 99.99% are finished after seeing that the AX10, XR10, Bully, and Berg are basically unobtainable. All we have left is Redcat and Exceed .

There also have to be comps near interested people in the first place. I am not going to regularly drive 4 hours one way just to comp with EPARCC, but maybe 1 hour away for the local group isn't so bad every month. The comps are few and far between around here. I fully intend to bring the 2.2S to any scale comps and hopefully get some people interested, because I would like to see more growth myself. If you complain about lack of growth but aren't posting to social media and getting the word out about events, can you really complain?

Anyways, I just think that comp crawlers will always be a niche thing now that scale has taken over, but that doesn't mean that you can't at least try to get people interested. I don't know how it was back 6 years ago when things were easier and any person who said "hey that looks neat" could up and buy an XR10 off the shelf and go comp with it, but I do know that Axial has gone the way of faster cars and scalers seem to do more bashing than crawling now. I'm going to do what I can, first by getting anyone I can to buy a scaler, and then showing them that piecing together a 2.2 shafty rig really isn't so bad. I'll take the 2.2 mod to scale comps for horsing around and ask if anyone would like to try. I'll post comp rigs on social media just like the scalers post theirs. In the end, I'll do what I can and hope for the best.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

So, I've never attended a comp, so take this however you feel.

In the past .... holy crap, 20 years that I've been building and beating on RC cars, crawling was the most fun for me because of the innovation of having to build/engineer/etc in the early days. Then the AX10 came out and it exploded. Hell, the AX10 really got me into "comp level" crawlers with a DNA chassis/Dig, etc.

Fast forward to today, and I'm running a comp level rig. I've built full on comp worthy 2.2P rigs, currently run a comp worthy Un-Stuck based rig. They get run in my back yard with my sons, I take them on vacations to see if I can find a place to run them, but I don't have time to drive two or three hours to a comp. I am located in DFW and there used to be a presence here, and I know for a fact there's a presence east of here because Nova's Ark is in East Texas. If I have to drive more than an hour to get to a comp where I'm going to spend 5 to 7 hours, and then drive another hour back, I just don't bother with it.

Same thing happened when the raceway in Kennedale shut down, I didn't have anywhere to run the 1/8th scale truggies and buggies, so I sold them. At least I can run the crawler on the rock pile in the backyard.

That's my take on it, no comps because they're not close. Hell, Don from VF/DNA/BWD used to live two streets down from me, and I had the same problem. Comps are too far away here.

Last edited by kmnss; 11-03-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: VF, not VP.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #120
RCC Addict

I hear you, while I can't relate because I get to run with one of the most solid groups of crawlers in the country. I really consider myself lucky. What we have is an organization that is more like family than anything else. We get together every week and its awesome!

I would encourage you to try and create something similar. Running in your backyard s a good start! bring friends over get them started. Then the group will grow.

2017 .... its coming and we need growth - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Through the growth meanbgreen Scale Videos! 1 03-11-2013 10:02 AM
MGH Mini Growth Hormone tybalt6691 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 06-15-2012 06:17 PM
the rapid growth of rc crawling. joehein Chit Chat 14 11-05-2007 09:00 PM
RC Crawling growth!!! JIA's Dad Chit Chat 58 09-12-2007 05:46 AM