Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Scoring question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Scoring question

If you clear a gate and then later in that run the course has you close to the old gate and you hit it, do you incur points?
warfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

All gates are live throughout the running of the course. When you hit a gate marker, you get to points for it and that gate is dead for the rest of that run...

Example:
You clear gate 1, 2, 3, & 4. During your attempt at gate 5, you roll your rig and hit one of the markers for gate 1, you get 10 points and that marker becomes dead (no other points received for hitting that particular gate marker)

Last edited by Greatscott; 06-28-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Yes they are all live during your run even after you clear them. Now if you knock one over by a rock or debri spit out from a tire than it shouldn't be deducted. I've had this happen a few times because of the crazy wheel speed on my class 3.
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

moving this to the rules section.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Another version of the same question: You clear a gate and later accidently come back and straddle it -- no touch. I've seen "penalty" and "no-penalty" calls on this forum. Some have said you can only take a straddle penalty on a gate you're attempting to progress.

This doesn't seem to say that:
6.8 -
Straddle:
A gate is considered straddled if at any time the axle of a vehicle (facing in any direction) passes over
any part of a gate marker and both tires of that axle are touching the ground (or any object on the ground) on opposite

sides of the gate markers, it is considered a straddle and a Gate Marker penalty is assessed
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yep. That's a gate penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Another version of the same question: You clear a gate and later accidently come back and straddle it -- no touch. I've seen "penalty" and "no-penalty" calls on this forum. Some have said you can only take a straddle penalty on a gate you're attempting to progress.

This doesn't seem to say that:

6.8 -
Straddle:
A gate is considered straddled if at any time the axle of a vehicle (facing in any direction) passes over
any part of a gate marker and both tires of that axle are touching the ground (or any object on the ground) on opposite
sides of the gate markers, it is considered a straddle and a Gate Marker penalty is assessed

EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Yep. That's a gate penalty.
You sure? I thought a straddle could only happen while attempting to progress the gate....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
You sure? I thought a straddle could only happen while attempting to progress the gate....
The key words to me in that rule are "at any time". It doesn't say only when progressing the gate.

Maybe this needs addressed in the rules committee. I wasn't in the committee for the discussion of the rule, so I'm not sure the intent. I'm just going by the words "at any time".

6.8 -
Straddle:

Last edited by EvilTwin v2; 10-29-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I understand that....however, IMO, it has more to do with how a gate is progressed than how a gate penalty is awarded. A straddle is only awarded once the gate is progressed (if you straddle and back out, the penalty is not awarded until you actually progress)...so I dont see how a straddle can be awarded on a gate that has already been progressed.

On a similar note, multiple times I have seen no penalty awarded on a gate that has already been progressed and a driver took a tumble down sideways across the progressed gate (flipping over both gates, with the front axle in front of and the rear axle behind the gates), but never actually touched one of the gate markers...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that....however, IMO, it has more to do with how a gate is progressed than how a gate penalty is awarded. A straddle is only awarded once the gate is progressed (if you straddle and back out, the penalty is not awarded until you actually progress)...so I dont see how a straddle can be awarded on a gate that has already been progressed.

On a similar note, multiple times I have seen no penalty awarded on a gate that has already been progressed and a driver took a tumble down sideways across the progressed gate (flipping over both gates, with the front axle in front of and the rear axle behind the gates), but never actually touched one of the gate markers...
Sounds like some confusion over a float vs a straddle. A straddle penalty is awarded as soon as the axle passes over any part of the gate marker with both tires of that axle on the ground, where a float is only when the gate is progressed. The reason for that is the part of the rule that describes progress without penalty occurs only when all 4 tires pass between the gates.

I think people have either been calling it wrong, or they're using the wrong terminology.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
All gates are live throughout the running of the course. When you hit a gate marker, you get to points for it and that gate is dead for the rest of that run...

Example:
You clear gate 1, 2, 3, & 4. During your attempt at gate 5, you roll your rig and hit one of the markers for gate 1, you get 10 points and that marker becomes dead (no other points received for hitting that particular gate marker)
Wouldn't that be 15 points?

5 for the rollover + 10 for the gate marker
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxCrawler View Post
Wouldn't that be 15 points?

5 for the rollover + 10 for the gate marker
5 points for a rollover is only if you have to grab the truck and roll it over by hand. We are referring to a truck rolling on it's own over top of a gate. There is no imaginary plane, so as long as the gate wasn't touched or progress wasn't awarded at the time (from all 4 tires not cleanly passing between the gate markers), then there is no gate penalty.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, that's actually been a really helpful reply
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Sounds like some confusion over a float vs a straddle.
No, I am familiar with the difference in terminology. "Straddle" is the first part of my post, "float" would be closest term to the second.

I would still like some clarification on this.....as I have seen both of these penalties overlooked at local and larger events.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

On a related note, when some people say yes and some say no, I should probably listen more to members of the rules committee. But I don't know who's who. Is there a posted list?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
A straddle is only awarded once the gate is progressed (if you straddle and back out, the penalty is not awarded until you actually progress
That's incorrect, right? The straddle penalty applies to "any time" not after progress. No back-outs.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No, I am familiar with the difference in terminology. "Straddle" is the first part of my post, "float" would be closest term to the second.

I would still like some clarification on this.....as I have seen both of these penalties overlooked at local and larger events.
It's my interpretation, and I've been told by other members of the committee that the straddled is called as soon as it occurs. There is no backing out of a straddle. The float is where you can actually back out and attempt again cleanly without penalty.

I can't remember if this came up at ECC or maybe Motorama in the drivers or judges meetings, but I'm almost positive that it was addressed there.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
On a related note, when some people say yes and some say no, I should probably listen more to members of the rules committee. But I don't know who's who. Is there a posted list?
Here's a link to where you can see moderators, rules committee members, etc. RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board - Show Groups
Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's incorrect, right? The straddle penalty applies to "any time" not after progress. No back-outs.
I didnt say that you could back out of it and wave the penalty.....what I said was that the penalty wasnt awarded until you made progress.

My justification of that comes from this rule:
▪ 7.2.6 If one wheel from the front axle and one wheel from the rear axle passes between two gate markers
(vehicle straddles a gate), that gate is considered a cleared gate. This however will result in a Gate Marker penalty
of 10 points and a gate progress bonus is awarded.

Notice, they are awarded at the same time...
Old 10-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, however it is at the course judge's discretion....