Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > RCP Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial Racing Rock Lizard Tire Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial Racing Rock Lizard Tire Review

I got to try a set of the new Axial racing Rock Lizard tires for the first time yesterday, so I thought I would write a review. The first thing I noticed was, the compound is slightly softer than the Proline M2 and seems to have a more rubbery feel to it. Closer visual inspection revealed what I thought was a VERY cool feature of the rock Lizards. Every surface of the lugs is textured in the mold. It apperas that Axial media blasted only the lug areas of the mold, while maintaining a nice shiney surface on the rest of tire carcass. In other words the tires come pre-scuffed right out of the box.

The overall width of my rig changed from 10 1/4" with the Mashers to a narrower 10 1/8" with the Rock Lizards. The tire height also changed, the Lizards are another 1/8" taller than the Mashers.

The next interesting feature is the foams. The Axial foams are just slightly smaller than the OD of the tire. This is perfect in that it allows for a nice air gap between the foam and the tire surface, much like the Moab XL. The Axial foams are quite a bit softer than Proline foam. They also seem to made with more rubber content. Normally I use a bread knife when narrowing up foams to make a nice clean cut. The bread knife was no good on these foams. The rubber content of the foam grabbed at the knife making it difficult to get a clean cut. I switched to scissors to get the job done.
All I did was take just under 3/4" from the width of the stock foam, leaving just under 1 3/4" total width to use. This is what the tires look like all mounted up. You can see what I mentioned about the texture on the lugs in the pic.

I figured the best place to test these would be on my rockpile, where I know exactly which lines I have, and have not made with other tires. As a control, I took the Hustler out with my Mashers mounted to the same wheels. The Mashers performed exactly as expected. They work very well and got me just about anywhere I needed to go.

Now it was the Rock Lizards turn. I drove right up the first obstacle with ease. Then I turned around into a severe off-camber section and had to really hold my line in order to keep the taller tires from causing the rig to fall off. The close proximity of the lugs, combined with the soft compound, got me through the section.

Next I climbed a spine that I was never able to make with Moabs. But I have been able to make with Mashers and wheel speed. Once I got lined up, the lizards went up it without having to bump the htrottle at all. There is a gap at the top of the climb that almost always swallows up Moabs, and sometimes Mashers. But the slight overall height of the Lizards let them walk right over it, and the lugs gripped the smooth rock clearing the obstacle with ease. One of the other REALLY cool features of the Lizards are the sound the make on the rock when searching for traction. Very close to a 1:1 tire.

Conclusion:

The Axial Racing 2.2 Rock Lizard tires are defiantely a force to be reckoned with. On my droop 2.2 rig, they work very well, so well I will definately give them a try at our next comp.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
I lost my vendor privileges

thanks for the writeup on these. i really cant wait to get mine now. got a comp next weekend. i guess i need to get some wheels quickly.will make sure to get some footage of them in action also.

ummmm im all giddy like a school girl.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

NICE I've been wondering if these would have a sweet compound. Im gonna order some up this thurs.

Thanks for the write up.

Adam
95MoYj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #4
Official Scale Nazi

Yeah I can't wait to try mine on my reworked sw2. Tried the tires on my small trial pile and i'm extremely happy so far. I want to see how they work on the rocks. Guess we'll find out @ The Bean!!!
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:32 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Will these tires be availible in 40series size later?
G-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
I lost my vendor privileges

got mine today. they are sticky and stinky.lol cant beleive how soft they are.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Old guy

I Got Mine Today They Came Fast.they Smell Good Too.i'll Be Running Them This Weekend I'll Let You Know How They And I Do.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I just got mine mounted and they are just like you described. Slightly narrower then the mashers (axles will like that) and slightly taller. I cannot explain how sticky they are. I have a short rubbermaid box that I have under my bed to store all my rc stuff and I was able to drive right over it at an angle. I wasn't able to do that before with the mashers do to the over hang of the box lid and the low ride height of my tuber.

I ended up not cutting the foams because of how soft the foams are and how heavy my tuber is. I think they will work better for a heavier rig so before you cut your foams you may want to try them out with the full foam first.

These tires rock
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-crawler View Post
Will these tires be availible in 40series size later?
i hope so! they would make a great 40 series tire.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote