Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Recon G6

Notices

Thread: Axial RECON Ultra 4 G6 at King of the Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #201
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial RECON Ultra 4 G6 at King of the Hammers

Axial RECON Ultra 4 G6 DMC
Copy and paste or write a brief bio of your favorite racer and list several of their sponsors. Pics of them and their Ultra 4 race cars may/may not net extra credit.

Answer:
Driver:
Robbie Gordon
Bio:
Robert W. "Robby" Gordon (born January 2, 1969) is an American racecar driver who currently competes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series as an owner-driver. He has also raced in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, Champ Car, Indycar, Trans-Am, IMSA, IROC, KOH and Dakar Rally.
Sponsors:
RPM offroad, Toyo Tires, Speed Energy, Torchmate,

nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #202
Jerry's RC Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVNMF View Post

You have proven that you can out "winch" me, but step up to the starting line and Do Work, Phamtasticularisticfrasidocious!!!
Lmao!!!
jerry2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #203
Jerry's RC Garage

The Campbell family has a well documented history of excellence in Rocksports. Few families can boast the success they have had in building vehicles, racing, and Rockcrawling. It is truly a family affair, and that rings true in how they present themselves. Don Campbell must be proud of his family, and how they have dominated our industry. It was not always a story of large corporate sponsorship, with Campbell struggling to find the right balance of vehicle in the early days of Professional Rock Crawling, but there was one thing for sure, a Campbell built buggy would be a crowd pleasing favorite with its outside thinking and liberal use of the right pedal. Most of that story has already been told, so we are going to point out another side of the Campbell family today, the side that fosters the growth of our sport through personal investment.
The humble Shannon Campbell often times gives that awe shucks smile and down plays his wins, but he will fully invest in a conversation with a teenager who is looking for advice on how to be a race car driver, fabricator, or just a black sharpie meeting the fabric of a hat, T-shirt, or poster. Shannon had no second thoughts about throwing Levi Shirley the keys to his Rock Racers which lead to a win in XRRA, often invests in his son Waylon’s growth in Rock Crawling, and even made the day of the 14 year old son of a promoter who Shannon learned had built a samurai from a box of parts by letting him drive his KOH winning car at full speed across the desert.
It is no wonder that Shannon Campbell has been listed as many Ultra4 drivers Hero. He races to win, and you can be assured he will race on the raged edge. He will either win or break his “Junk” beyond repair. His sportsmanship for some, could be considered at times questionable, such as the 2009 DQ in which he refused to give up and kept racing, or the driving over Will Carter’s shock incident, But Shannon Campbell will help any racer who needs help in the pit, and has been seen spotting others through obstacles while he attempts to free his single seat buggy, such as this years Stampede event in Reno. The Campbell family has been known to make phone calls to sponsors or loan parts to help other drivers get back in the race. There is no doubt the crown will see a host of suitors attempting to steal it from the head of Shannon Campbell this February, and I am pretty sure he would have it no other way.

Driver name: Shannon Campbell Co-Driver Name: None
Team Name Team Monster Energy Car # 5AZ
Chassis Builder: Campbell Ent. Custom Fabrication Engine: TurnKey/LS3
Transmission: Hughes Performance/Turbo 350 T-case: Advance Adapters/Atlas 3.0
Front: Designed by ProAm Racing Lockers F/R: ARB
Rear Axle: Currie 9” Steering: Howe Performance
Seats: Mastercraft Safety Shocks: Fox Shox
Tires: Goodyear Tires Wheels: Walker Evans Racing Wheels
Radiator: Ron Davis Racing Products
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #204
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Copy and paste or write a brief bio of your favorite racer and list several of their sponsors. Pics of them and their Ultra 4 race cars may/may not net extra credit.

Good luck and this is your last DMC question. (except for a bonus question, coming soon)
Shannon Campbell, 42 yrs old, hometown gilbert, AZ
Monster energy, Maxxis, dynomax, foxshox
Sports: Rock Crawler, Auto Racing
Bio: About as ‘out there’ as it gets in the world of motorsports, rock crawling and rock racing nonetheless grabs your attention when you happen upon it on TV. And like all the other di... More Bio: About as ‘out there’ as it gets in the world of motorsports, rock crawling and rock racing nonetheless grabs your attention when you happen upon it on TV. And like all the other dirt-based motorsports, Monster’s got the best guy on its team in Shannon Campbell. With back-to-back national W.E. Rock Championship titles to his name, the Arizonan cut his dirt sport teeth with a motorsports-crazed family in off-road racing and circle track. ‘Crawling’ around the desert for some 15 years now, Campbell not only drives the moon buggy-like vehicles, he also designs and builds them up from the ground at his Campbell Enterprises Custom Fabrication shop. The 2005 “Dirt Sports Driver of the Year,” Campbell’s known as a fiery competitor with a humble side that endears him to both fans and other drivers alike. Also one of the only KOH solo drivers-impressive!
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #205
RCC Addict

Shannon Campbell

United States

Results in 2012 for the world’s premier rock racing/rock crawling program weren’t as bountiful as past competition seasons, but Campbell still continued to have the fan-favorite vehicle at all of the events he attended. A podium 3rd place finish at the iconic King of the Hammers race (Campbell being the only driver to win KotH multiple times) and 1st place finish at the Ultra4 American Rocksports Challenge would stand as the competition highlights of 2012 for Campbell and his team.

Last edited by VP Dan; 01-29-2013 at 05:31 PM.
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #206
Rock Crawler

I'm not a driver in the G-6, but I am really passionate about KOH and really excited for my favorite driver...

Hobie Smith started crawling way back when.... His pet rock had recently been confiscated by the government, and he was in a dark place. His forray into the world of crawling was a journey of self-discovery, and in crawling he found the satisfaction of desires he didn't know he had... Through lots of trial and error, and lots and lots of experimenting, Hobie found his groove and steadily rose in the ranks of competitive crawlers. When asked what the highlight of his crawling career has been, his answer has unfailingly been: the opportunity to show his pride for his sport...

In 2007 he was one of the OG 12 for the first King of the Hammers. His impressive performance and stamina in the heat of competition has forever reserved him a place in the annals of crawling history.

*disclaimer: Hobie is a really good friend of ours. He is not gay (afaik), he has a wonderful wife and two adorable sons.
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #207
Rock Stacker

A Pro Athlete for over 2 decades, Dustin Webster has captured dozens of international and world titles in two different sports, trained multiple world class athletes, and lived an amazing life full of stories and experience that he conveys with passion and style that sets him apart. As the first North American Red Bull Pro Athlete, and Professional Toastmaster, his skills as a motivator, speaker, consultant, and coach are in high demand. Dustin Webster the Pro Cliff Diver, Pro Rock Crawler, Motivational Speaker, Stuntman, and Red Bull Pro Athlete.
a few of his sponsors were;
Red Bull
Pro Comp
Hooker Harness
Ruffstuff

Dustin retired from the sport to be with his family, but can no longer return due to the new height requirement
K.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #208
Jerry's RC Garage

Is it G6 time yet?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #209
Pebble Pounder

I'm Dying that I'm not going this year. Team MRB will make it one of these years, I promise you. For those of you who are making the trip to KOH, DO WORK DRIVERS!!!!
madtrouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #210
RCC Addict

YEA BUDDY!!!!! got my official G6 stickers. And a very special gift from Parker

Its to big, but I'll cut it down and glue it back together with tire glue

Thanks Parker, you da man.

Are we there yet????
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #211
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

Are we there yet????
That's why Parker sent it to you, it was to big for him also!!!
chasinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #212
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Good luck and this is your last DMC question. (except for a bonus question, coming soon)
Spotlight on Jason Pickett

Dark horse is a term used to describe a little-known person or thing that emerges to prominence, especially in a competition of some sort or a contestant that seems unlikely to succeed. In Ultra4 racing Jason Pickett wears that badge with honor. If you search for Jason Pickett on the web you won’t find pages of youtube video’s, magazine articles or threads hailing him as the hero offroaders want to become. If you are racing against him and you don’t consider him a threat, you are simply put; a fool.Jason Pickett hails from a region where a liberal dose of skinny pedal morphed technical rock crawling into a no holds barred moshpit of Rock racing in the XRRA series. His car was built by the Carnage crew garage and Aaron Dusenbery who has no problem slugging it out on the web or a race course. Dusenbery, the 2008 Western Division XRRA Champion has been working in the shop since he was knee high to grasshopper, and his artistry shows through in the simply yet effective design of the 4444 Ultra4 car. The team seems less interested in the politics, glamor, and drama, and stays focused on the things that put the team in the position to win when the chips hit the table. Its no wonder that when the stars of Ultra4 racing started falling by the way side at the Ultra4 Grand Prix, it was Jason Pickett who was there to push the winner and made a solid showing finishing just short of the win. Perhaps, the Dark horse will come from nowhere and win the 2012 King of the hammers? But how is it a team that is this consistent can be considered unlikely to win? I guess we will find out soon.

How long have you been competing in Ultra 4 Racing?
We started in 2009 and have been hooked ever since.

How long have you been racing?
We started racing XRRA in 2006.
Tell us about your past experiences in the King of the Hammers and where you have finished?
2009 ran the LCQ made it to the main race and finished in 15th. New car for 2010 that was brought to the lakebed untested and we finished 10th.
What’s the attraction to racing of King of the Hammers for you?
It’s a huge challenge where we get to not only stretch the cars legs and go fast through the desert but also get to do some rock crawling all in the same race.
What’s your favorite part of the King of the Hammers?
I think there are 2 favorites for me. First it’s gotta be pulling up to the start line for the green flag. It’s where the butterflies finally go away and where all the hours of hard work get put to use. Second would have to be seeing that checkered flag waving you in knowing you just finished the toughest one day off road race.
How do you physically and mentally prepare for this type of racing?
I just focus on what we need to do and not worry about what anyone else is doing.
Teamwork is a big part of KOH, Tell us about your team for the King of the Hammers?
My family has always supported me and my racing, without them I’m not sure it would happen. I also have a great group of friends that not only help work on the car in the shop but that are willing to take time off to come to CA and help pit for me.

How much does strategy play a part in KOH?
You have to have a plan in place but also have to be ready to improvise. It’s racing, it hardly goes how you plan it to.
What will it take to win the King of the Hammers in 2012?
Good strategy, a well prepped car, focused driver and co-driver, and I think a little racing luck.
How much does a car vs. a drivers ability play into winning the King of the Hammers?
A good driver can accomplish a lot but I think to win KOH you still need the right equipment for the task.
If you had the opportunity to participate in any race in the world, what would it be and why?
Probably the Baja 1000. Some day I hope to experience it in some way but to actually drive in it and say you had a part in getting a car to the finish line would be the ultimate.
If you had an unlimited budget what would you build to compete in the King of the Hammers?
I’d build a copy of the car I have now but run IFS.
Do you have any advice to give someone who is aspiring to race the King of the Hammers?
Build a strong car and chase your dreams.
Can you tell us about the sponsors and people that have made it possible for you to do this?
Gotta thank Carnage Crew Garage, Consafo Ranch, Yukon gear and axle, King Shocks, Spidertrax, Lundstedt Performance, Custom Design Painting.
The facts Jason Pickett #4444

Driver name: Jason Pickett Co-Driver Name: Doyle Dake
Team Name: Terminal Velocity Racing Car # 4444
Chassis Builder: Carnage Crew Garage Engine: Stroked LS6
Transmission: 4L60E T-case: Atlas2
Axles F/R: Spidertrax Spider 9′s Lockers F/R: ARB
Seats: Mastercraft Shocks: King Shocks
Tires: BFG Krawler Wheels: Raceline

On a personel note:

I have been following and cheering on Jason and the whole RCC, Team Carnage Crew(I still own a Hustler chassis), Axial effort since their first go at KOH. Boy o' boy how KOH has grown since then, and car#4444 has had some great sucess since it hit the rocks!

Pickett better watch out! I can just see Hensel pulling along side of him at "KOH" and unleashing a barrage of rounds from the "airsoft"!.....

Good times a' coming!....
axelsnapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

Are we there yet????

We're are close & THAT IS NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM any indication of my appreciation of your patience!!!

I know the lake bed can be a lonely place, in that case, B-Rad's backside is always open for auction!!!!
DRIVNMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Axial RECON Ultra4 G6 DMC BONUS QUESTION

DMC Bonus Question

This is my first KOH. I have followed the race online and even heckled as if I was at the little sluice and like the racers in the Chocolate Thunder grid lock last year, could read was I was typing. I was so stoked to be part of the KOH experience, even if it was in a virtual sense.

If this is your first KOH, What are you looking forward to the most and why?

If this is not your first KOH, describe your past experiences and what you liked most about the race.

Thank you, G6'ers for starting your Axial RECON Ultra4 G6 adventure, early.

God Speed to Hammertown and stop by and see the Axial Crew and the G-Crew at the Axial Booth on 1 Axial Ave Hammertown, CA.

Bring your Axial based G-Rides for some cool Bonus Time Festivities. This is not mandatory, but highly recommended!

I am "Parker" and I will see you getting your scaler fix in the Axial RECON Ultra4 G6!
DRIVNMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #215
RCC Addict

Quote:
We're are close & THAT IS NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM any indication of my appreciation of your patience!!!

I know the lake bed can be a lonely place, in that case, B-Rad's backside is always open for auction!!!!
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #216
RCC Addict

DMC Bonus Question

This is my first KOH. I have followed the race online and even heckled as if I was at the little sluice and like the racers in the Chocolate Thunder grid lock last year, could read was I was typing. I was so stoked to be part of the KOH experience, even if it was in a virtual sense.

first year for me and i cant wait.looking forward to all of it it going to be just badass
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #217
Jerry's RC Garage

Quote:

DMC Bonus Question

If this is not your first KOH, describe your past experiences and what you liked most about the race.

God Speed to Hammertown and stop by and see the Axial Crew and the G-Crew at the Axial Booth on 1 Axial Ave Hammertown, CA.

Bring your Axial based G-Rides for some cool Bonus Time Festivities. This is not mandatory, but highly recommended!

I am "Parker" and I will see you getting your scaler fix in the Axial RECON Ultra4 G6!
This is not my first KOH. I look forward to seeing the drivers racing off the line, me racing over to chocolate thunder to watch the trucks race up chocolate battling for position, last year it was a bottle neck cars were going everywhere to get around. Then we race over to backdoor to see the trucks come down the waterfall. The whole week is full of excitement. I will be out there this sunday to see the moto race. Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #218
Rock Crawler

DMC Bonus Question

Answer:

Never been to a KOH or any big 1:1 offroad event. (for anything 1:1 I prefer to build fast cars). I have seen the KOH video from 2011 and really enjoyed watching it so with all that being said I look forward in seeing all of the 1:1 rigs, finshing this G6, and have fun.
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #219
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

DMC Bonus Question

This will be my 4th KOH. It gets a little bigger and better every year, especially last year with king of the motos added in, everyman challenge and the utv race getting bigger. I look forward to king of the motos with more entries than last year and it will probably have the same type of goatpath start up a previously unridden steep rocky hillside. Last year it was awesome spectating on jackhammer watching cars racing down it ripping across the desert and up an unclimbable in a stock rig sandhill a mile away. as if all the great racing, hammertown vendors and amazing race machinery weren't enough, this year we look forward to hanging with parker, axial reps and g6'ers too
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #220
Rock Crawler

Quote:

This will be my 5th KOH. The first year I went we spectated on a few trails and it was a blast!! The next year we decided that spectating wasn't enough fun, so we signed up to man a checkpoint. We spent all week in Hammertown which was AMAZING; it was so great to gtfo of civilization and just hang out with some damn cool people. We spent all of race day on the course, and finally got back to our home away from home around 1130 or midnight. It was one of the best days of my life! We have volunteered at all of them since then, which has never been anything but spectacular!

We have met MANY incredible people, have seen some freaking great action on the course every year (I had to extinguish a pretty good little fire on a rig last year), and last year I had the TREMENDOUS honor to sing the national anthem on race day. The impressive dust layer that was hanging around messed with my vocal chords and I was less than pleased with my performance, but I guess it wasn't too bad because I was asked to sing again this year, for EMC and main race day!

KOH is pretty much our favorite part of every year. I am SO excited that Axial is now such a big part of it!! I cannot wait to see everyone out there! we're getting close!!!

(also, if anyone is interested in being more than a spectator, let me know, I'll give you Shaun's email and phone number so you can get in touch with him about volunteering, they always need more help. there's a ton of work to be done, and it is really freaking cool to know that you are a part of something like KOH. and the volunteer dinner and raffle is awesome-- some cool swag being given away).
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial RECON Ultra 4 G6 at King of the Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE 1to1 AXIAL WRAITH AT THE 2012 KING OF THE HAMMERS (BACKDOOR) HB_crawler Videos! 16 04-27-2012 10:19 AM
king of the hammers ben10 California 0 02-01-2012 05:44 PM
King of the Hammers thehopping1 Arizona 7 03-20-2009 01:27 AM
King of the Hammers jason 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 108 03-03-2009 10:54 PM