Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Official RS10 tips and tricks thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #121
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjiujitsu View Post
i did similar stuff to my tires... i cut my foams in a 16 star pattern added river sinkers out of my tackle box about a 60 front 40 rear in tires. i like this better than adding whights to rims to reduce stress on stock parts. i also found that adding a stick type battery to front axle it seems to help out a lot..i now easily crawl over stuff i would normally have to goose it for on my wood/rock pile in back yard..oh and a it made my servo go out too..

What is redneckjiujitsu! I Have to know!!!!
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #122
Rock Stacker

I'm in a fantasy league on ufc.com and thought it was a clever name to the fighting style of brazilian jiu jitsu..
redneckjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #123
Rock Stacker

easy cheap weight for your tire foams...
stock foams with weight held in place with fishing line think there 1/2 sinkers so doesnt take much to add a lot of weight

these foams came with the rovers, i flipped the foam wrong side out and took a hobby knife cut places to put weights

so a 2 ways to get weight inside ur tires for either cut foams or not cut foams
redneckjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #124
Rock Crawler

I'm very new to the RC thing but I enjoy 1:1 rock crawling for years!

I bought a RS10 witch last me some 40min of run time since it broke the conector on the front motor...

I'm waiting for a replacement.

On those 40min of run time I saw that the mounting point of the shocks on the links were a dragging spot.
Using nothing but ingenuity and a swiss army knife (MacGeyver would be proud!), I tried to fix that with some pen caps!

Here are some pictures:

I put some double side tape and zip tied them so they can glue properly...

Now I just have to do some ajustments and wait for the new motor to test...
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #125

Default My rs10 Body and mods from ZNO.

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC02142-1.jpg" target="_blank">http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC02142-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Last edited by kamakazi1; 02-03-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: I don't know what i'm doing.
kamakazi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #126
Rock Crawler

Default Mod for tires oulling wires off motor fix

I'm sure everyone is aware of a way to keep the tires from ripping the wires off the motor, but I figures I would throw this up here anyways.
I notice my rovers were getting the wires after I increased the servo throw and cut the stops off the axle so I decided to put two layers of electrical tape over the wires and hoven't had a problem since, the tires are not hard enough to cause abrasion to the tape. There is just enough room in between the motor vents to stick the tape and I have noticed no extra heating after the tape. Heres some pics. I run the poo out of this little guy and the tape has held up fine and saved me wires!

It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
I'm sure everyone is aware of a way to keep the tires from ripping the wires off the motor, but I figures I would throw this up here anyways.
I notice my rovers were getting the wires after I increased the servo throw and cut the stops off the axle so I decided to put two layers of electrical tape over the wires and hoven't had a problem since, the tires are not hard enough to cause abrasion to the tape. There is just enough room in between the motor vents to stick the tape and I have noticed no extra heating after the tape. Heres some pics. I run the poo out of this little guy and the tape has held up fine and saved me wires!

How did you get more steering throw out of you servo? What servo are you running?
FJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #128
Pebble Pounder

more steering is not the problem, but if u cut the mechanical stoppers on the axle u can get loose the fitting of the dogbones
corefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #129

Well, I don't know if is a tip or trick, but it worked nicely to store my redcat. You will have to set loose the antenna in order to lay it down.

halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #130
Rock Crawler

Default Zno big boy 540 swap

Here is a full documented conversion to 540's using ZNO's aftermarket housings for 540's, the "BIG BOY" kit.

ZNO 540 swap, Documented;
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #131
Fan of wheelspeed

This may be a stupid question, so brace yourselves. What is the purpose behind moving the shock mounts to the axle from the links? What does it improve?
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #132
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
This may be a stupid question, so brace yourselves. What is the purpose behind moving the shock mounts to the axle from the links? What does it improve?
Doing that, in addition to 4 linking the suspension links, can limit your articulation. No rig needs 90 degrees of articulation, so limiting that down makes your rig more predictable rather than articulating like a contortionist every time it hits a rock. The plastic mounts that are on the links kinda suck and can slide on the links. I also think it looks better having them mounted to the axle.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #133
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Doing that, in addition to 4 linking the suspension links, can limit your articulation. No rig needs 90 degrees of articulation, so limiting that down makes your rig more predictable rather than articulating like a contortionist every time it hits a rock. The plastic mounts that are on the links kinda suck and can slide on the links. I also think it looks better having them mounted to the axle.
Ahhh, I see. Thankyou sir. What is the average degree of articulation? Right now mine is the rs10 xt. So the 4 links already done, I put on the 30 deg. bent links as well. I've got about 85 deg as it stands. The only real issue I've had is the back end wanting to wrap around when using the 4ws in a bind. I've bent link ends in two. I'm not sure on my shock setup either. Here's a pic, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

here's one to show the articulation that it has now.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pitt View Post
Still in the "Motor upgrade" section, what do you think about this one:
It's from Atomic RC and it's a 26T 380 can:
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index...emart&Itemid=5

On the same page they have a big range of "Climbing" motors, but I think those are 540 can...

I've found those one from Team Epic there is 33T and 22T:
33T

http://www.teamepiconline.com/shop/i...p?item=TEP1500

22T

http://www.teamepiconline.com/shop/i...p?item=TEP1501

So what do you think of those?
The Rs10 is a T70 motor. If you put lower T motors into your RS10 you will sacrafise torque for speed and posibly strip out your gears in your axle. The Hight the T # the highter the torque but slower the motor. The Lower the T# the highter the speed but lower torque. This is one thing I have I have figured out in my searchs for upgrading my Rs10 motor.
jonspot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #135
Rock Stacker

I had a small motor issue today. The rear motor locked so when I got home I took it off the truck.

I could see thru the cooling slots that the plastic fan had come loose from the shaft and was wedging up against the brush assembly.

I peeled the 4 tabs back and cut the 2 capacitors from the outer can. Once the cap was removed the fan fell out.

I repositioned it and mixed up some 5 minuete epoxy and dabbed a little on the top of the windings to the fan in 3 different spots.

Re assembled and re soldered the caps then wired up to my Checkpoint charger and did a 20 minuete break in at 1.3V

When it was done I swear the motor runs smoother than the front one.
Maybe I'll take it out and run it too.

Last edited by 1320Fastback; 10-08-2011 at 04:49 PM.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #136

Question Newbie needs some advise

Hi All,
I am a 61 year old NEWBIE to all this RC stuff.I was wonder what brand of tires I could get to replace my stock ones on mt RS 10 XT ?

Thanks in advance for any advise..

Steve / Lakeside,Az.
chuggyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #137
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggyII View Post
Hi All,
I am a 61 year old NEWBIE to all this RC stuff.I was wonder what brand of tires I could get to replace my stock ones on mt RS 10 XT ?

Thanks in advance for any advise..

Steve / Lakeside,Az.
white dot hot bodies rovers (ckrc.com they r bout 12 bucks a pair) trust me u will b pleased i think the best tire for the money and add some stick on wheel weights to the front rims while u have them apart
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #138

which tire would be better the rock crushers or the super swamper boggers . my rx10 is not just for rocks but mud and dirt has anyone tried thes tires
gduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #139
RCC Addict

This thread isn't the ideal place to ask questions about which part is the best. It is, however, a good place to share a tech tip or mod that you come up with. That said, it would be easier in the future to just start a new thread or search the hundreds of threads about tires to get some opinions.

chuggyII - depends on your budget and what you're looking for out of a tire. If you want something that flat out performs, the white dot rovers are a great choice, but so are the other aftermarket comp tires, such as panther leopards, cougars, losi boss claws and comp claws, hot bodies rovers and sedonas, the list goes on and on. None of those would be bad, and you'd likely be happy with any of them.

gduck - I don't have experience with either tire, but based on looks alone, the super swampers would probably be a better choice for mud and dirt, and would likely work well on rock also.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #140

Default RS10 Motors 380 vs 390

Hello everyone , i`ve been reading all the great ideas and tips here and can`t wait to get my red cat,while searching the internet for the best price w/free ship ( on a budget gotta save my cash for upgrades ),i discovered that the older version is still available with the 380 motors, while the XT model has newer 390 motors. In several posts about the older RS10 some members recommended replacing 380`s with aftermarket 390`s, my question is , if i upgrade the servos and tires ,will this stock motor be good enough or can you recommend a better 390 ?

ordering mine today ,found the XT for $155 w/ free ship, i think i`m gonna 2 day ship tho to get it here this week . ( still a big kid lol but then ain`t we all).

Thanks Don

" I take mine on the Rocks ,shaken not stirred"
Rock_Diggn_Don is offline   Reply With Quote