Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: rs10 motor choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rs10 motor choices

i'm looking for some advice on what motors to run in my rs10. I just put some reedy mini stump pullers in it and it has about zero torque and goes about 20mph with the same stock gearing that makes it work "ok" with the stock motors. so please help me. so I don't waste another $90 on motors I cant use. I greatly appreciate and eagerly await your response. thanks in advance.
iluvny081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Check out the official rs10 tips and tricks thread that I typed up. I posted the several upgraded crawler motors we've found on there and links to go along with them.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the quick reply. I did see that forum and it really is good information. I was just looking to see which motors work the best. so if anyone has tried one or more of them I would love to hear your opinion. thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
RCC Addict

No prob...a few of the guys that have rs10's use the banebots and seem to like them...and for around $5 per motor, you can't go wrong. I personally use the 13 turn cobalts, but they're almost impossible to find now...if you can get your hands on a set, they're nice. If you wanna drop some extra money I hear the holmes hobbies 454's are really good as well. Unfortunately a lot of the motors I listed nobody with rs10's on here have tried them...so getting them is a bit of a gamble, but they're crawler motors.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

If you are getting banebots, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 380 7.2V NOT THE 390 12V UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING 12V TO THEM YOU WILL HAVE NO POWER. The tips and tricks has a link to the 390s
yotafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotafrog View Post
If you are getting banebots, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 380 7.2V NOT THE 390 12V UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING 12V TO THEM YOU WILL HAVE NO POWER. The tips and tricks has a link to the 390s
I noticed that...my bad on that, the link is fixed now and links to the 7.2v. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

wow, that is extremely cheap for a motor. I'm new here and I gotta say that you guys are very helpful and that is greatly appreciated. are the banebots good? do they have alot more power than the stock motors? one more question. do either the banebots or holmes hobby motors require any altering of the motor mounts? thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Hopefully the guys that run banebots will chime in about how much an improvement they are. Any 380/390 sized motor will mount up to the rs10 without any modifications to the motor mounts...so yes, the holmes hobbies motors or the banebots should bolt right up without issue.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

thanks alot for the great info. the stupid reedy motors I got are a weird size and I had to trim a small amount of the plastic on the motor mounts away in order to make them work. I guess they are designed to work with the losi mini crawler specificaly because they don't work worth a damn in the rs10. hey JSOWENS, do your holmes hobby motors have alot more power than the stock one's? I saw a video on the holmes website of the 7 turn puller 540 size motor in a crawler and it was launching off jumps. can your rs10 do that? thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeah mine have a lot more power than the stock motors...if I go full throttle from a stand still the front tires come slightly off the ground. I basically never use mine at full throttle and they have plenty of torque to crawl with. The big thing you should worry about with more powerful motors is the fact that the RS10 has plastic gears. They're not made strong enough for a powerful motor going full throttle all the time. Shouldn't be an issue running motors like the banebots, but with the 7t cobalt pullers, they can destroy gears real quick.

Last edited by jsowens; 01-17-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #11

Sounds like the Holmes has a little more power than the banebots. The front tires don't quite come off the ground on a full launch. They do however have more than enough power to crawl and baja through soft stuff. Way more power than stock and $16.50 delivered to my door. I don't see a need for any more power. I have about 5 or 6 hours of driving on mine and no problems so far. Couldn't be happier with them. I think the pitch of the mounting hole is slightly different than the stock mounting screw. I just gently influenced my screws in and they mounted up fine.
yotafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

that sounds awesome. have you stripped any spur gears(differential gears) ? i'm using my rs10 to compete at my local crawler comps. would you recomend the 454's for my purpose? thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Yep, you don't really need as much power as my motors have...but the torque they have is why I like them. I rarely get clod stall.

iluvny081, if you don't mind spending $80 for a pair of motors...the 454's would be a good choice. On the holmes hobbies website, they say they use them on a comp berg with a 7.4v lipo with good results. If you're looking for budget motors, I'd just stick with the banebots.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

To be perfectly honest its going to come down to life on the motors. The banebot 380's are plent fast and havent stalled on me unless the situation gets really sticky. I have an 8t pinion in the rear and the stock 10 t up front.
I got both motors

M5-RS380-72 RS380 Motor - 7.2V 2 $4.95 $9.90 Shipping: U.S.P.S. Priority MailŪ: $6.65 Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $16.55

I took it to a local G2G and one guy commented on how much power the little 380's had.
In reverse it will lift the wheels off the ground with the front battery mount.
If you full throttle going forward they lift one wheel off the ground about a centimeter.
house_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

thanks alot for all your help guys. for the price I think I have to go with the banebots. from what I hear they work pretty well and for the money what do I have to lose. you guy's are awesome. thanks again.