Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Guide to motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Guide to motors

I'd like to see a guide to motors that people are running on the RS 10.

Seems this would help to clear up what is working and what is a shortfall.

I wanna go to better motors and am gonna try just one ESC after I do it.
(using dual traxxas blue vxl-5's) for now and they work good. but I have so many RC's that I could use that ESC on another if I find something other than the 380 class motor.

I see the EM400 serries is a plane motor and people say they work.
one or two of you are using NYLINT motors. (what are they? 380's??)
banebots are robotic motors and also 380's

Also, do what you run bolt right up or are there mods. And if so what and how have you Modded the critter?

So lets see what ya got, how they run,and where did you order them from!

Maybe get a official RS10 motor compatibility thread going here.

SO what are ya runn'n....????

later
Rich

Last edited by armalite_ar50; 04-06-2010 at 06:04 PM.
armalite_ar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i have three trucks all have one esc and run venom 8.4 5000mah.these are my motors,45 turn lathe motors,35 turn motors and 21.5 turn.All have worked great and have not spun any gears.
thatgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Stock ESC with a pair of cobalt motors and 10t pinions. Bolted right up with no modifications and they work extremely well. I would imagine it's even better with a good ESC, but I'm not upgrading until the stock one gives out.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

novak 55t terra claws . Slower than my stock motors waaay more torque , took about ten min to shave a hole for the motors never run hot, get about 1.5to 2 hours on a 3800 battery at 7.2v dual 10t pinions.
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
novak 55t terra claws . Slower than my stock motors waaay more torque , took about ten min to shave a hole for the motors never run hot, get about 1.5to 2 hours on a 3800 battery at 7.2v dual 10t pinions.
Is having slower motors causing you any problems? Would the fix for wheel speed be as simple as installing some 12 or 15 tooth pinions? Is this hole shaving something that once you have motors in hand you will know what has to be done? The course I crawl at home transfers from soft dirt to rock and I could use a bit more wheel speed on tap. I'm just about ready to spring for motors.
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I finally got the Holmes motors yesterday.They are awesome.I definately reccomend them .With RC$WD 10 tooth running 7.4 Lipo they have TONS of wheelspeed and good torque.Well worth the wait.They are the same motors that JSOwens is running but the guy at HH put a tune on the HH ones.good motors for the RS10
Santa Cruz Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Running Novac Fifty - Fives with Rooster Shaved gear box
and yes once you have the motors u'll no.. just don't cut out the inner sleeve that holds the first gear shaft in place!!
dgna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
jwo
Rock Crawler

3 cell lipo, sidewinder esc, 12v banebot 390's. 8t pinions.1-1 1/2 hour run time. banebots fit in no problem.may have to play with your bottom links for more clearance depending on chassis.hair shorter then a standard 540. temps are a tad warm. good torque, good wheel speed for 11.1v.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #9

I'm running dual traxxas xl2.5's with the titan 380's and 8T pinions. The truck is a monster. Low speed driving has suffered though. Its not bad but its more difficult to roll at a walking pace. It consumes batteries (20 min run time on 3000's) and it broke the drive pin in the front diff (spool). I wish I could drop the gear ratio a little more to make it a little slower. The esc's are awesome because they are waterproof and they fit perfectly on the servos. They suck because they have no drag brake.
92gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

YA, 92gsr I'm running the XL5's from traxxas in dual mode.
That's why I started this thread. I think it's ESC enough for two motors.
I know what ya mean about no drag break but once you are used to it you can hold the trigger just so and make it hang on a climb, or high center it for a break while I figure my next move or to just give it a rest.

I will say The the XL5's have made a WAY big diffrence in clod stall.

ANYWHO......
Back on topic....!

What are you guys running for motors and what mods did you do to make them work?
I know there are a whole pile of RS 10 owners that haven't chimed in yet!

Later
Rich
armalite_ar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #11

did you have to do any other mod to run the 12 volt 390s or do they just bolt up and go i dont want to have to change electronics
firefighter404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter404 View Post
did you have to do any other mod to run the 12 volt 390s or do they just bolt up and go i dont want to have to change electronics
they pretty much just bolt right up. i had to make new links to work around mine because of my chassis i built.not sure if how they would fit with stock chassis. they use these in the cliffys with good results. these will not work with the stock esc. well they would but not very good. i have read in the cc forum that these are pretty much useless on anything below 9.6v. they work good, but im going to going with pullers later. you cant beat the banebots for the money. im happy with them. good motors if you have an esc that can handle more voltage.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

New 380s on the way. Also, I saw a right angle motor mout that would make a motor stand on end (used on x-ray processor motors). I am still in contac with Kodac processer center, may pick up on to see if it will mount to the gear housing on the axle. If it does, there would be no limit to the size of the motor you could run.......with metal gears......
rockunlimited2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Anybody tried the $6 5 pole 540 motors from Holmes Hobbies.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote