Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: going to brushless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

I am still running the stock motors and the stock ESC but switched to 8T pinion and 3S lipos. Huge difference in torque and wheel speed. I figure it's a good test to see how far you can push the stock stuff. The plan is to go with the Novak All In One when it comes out. Unless the stock ESC hangs in there.

As far as Brushless goes, do you really think it's needed based on the lack of speed or rotations per minute crawling vs racing all out with a stadium truck. I've never run brushless but again I am going to see how long the brushed last.
DinoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

well i never did the brushless on my stadium trucks for comp. but when i did practice and messing around the brushless setup saved me ALOT of money and wear on the motor and brushes. and the brushless was a close second in power to mt d5 flat liner modified motor it just didnt have quite the top end or rpms my d5 put out when it came to straights. but from what i have seen the mongoose is as close as you can get for trying to comp. with em and by far the most reliable. and when it comes to racing its all about reliability. i have had motors crap out on me in my stadium trucks and cost me a solid win before. and the mongoose crawler setup is a solid match for all of the best 540 motors available for crawling and cheaper to build a dual motor setup compared to 540 comp dual motor setup that you would have to force fit. and still is a fairly cheap upgrade for the more moderate crawler that will last them a very long time.

Last edited by talon0713; 04-18-2010 at 08:54 PM.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

and to add with the sweet esc. that it comes with it should pretty much eliminate clod stall and add good hill brakes for deciding your next line in the middle of a course. and add alot more low throttle power for precision movements.

and as far as doing an all in one from novak the problem you are going to run in to is the fact that i dont think novak makes anything for the 380 motors accept the mongoose setup and no one makes brushless speed controls for dual motors. so in doing anything else by novak you would have to do a bit of make over work on your truck to make the larger 540 motors fit. the rs10 uses 380 motors that are normally used in 1/18 scale and the larger 540's that normal 1/10 scales use dont fit without doing some pretty serious changing to the axle and chassis setup.

Last edited by talon0713; 04-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

anyone got any other input for the brushless setup???
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Ya I definetly do not want to go 540 in these axles. I saw a thread on it and it gets ugly. So when you go brushless how much more torque will you have over the stock motor and 3S lipos? I know its a guess but what are you thinking you will gain?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

i guessing it will be a night and day difference because the motors they put in them really are not that great and novak has really good comp products even tho the mongoose is not a comp kit it has very similar performance stats to the 540's. and from what i have read the mongoose crawler setup has pretty good torque and the rpm is abt 4400rpm@5v which is a good speed for crawling and adding 3s or even 2s lipo to that you will get even more torque and rpm out of it. the only thing is if you do this you will want to be careful with the throttle as you will probably strip gears. but hopefully they will be puting out new metal gears soon so that concern will be a thing of the past.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

So you are going with 2 Mongoose Micro systems correct? I am looking forward to hearing about the results on the power and how well the two work together. Oh and how long your gears last.

Always looking for MORE POWER.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

ya it will be a couple weeks before i get the mongoose crawler stuff but i will definitely be doing it.. more powa
Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I have been going back and forth with you on this and I just now took the time to read up on the system. I can see the attraction and you have me sold. But I'm going to play the waiting game and let you do the testing. While I am always looking to improve the RS I am also building a Hellstrom Bully. Actually I have just ordered it and am patiently waiting. Should be fun comparing the two.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

ya im anxiously awaiting building this thing and puting the mongoose setup in it. i think its going to take the rs10 to that next level everyone has been waiting for. i will definatly let everyone know how this turns out i know theres a few guys awaiting to see what the results are going to be out of this build as my self. i just hope it works lol. i have faith in novak components tho lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

if anyone wants to look more in to this setup here is the link to the mongoose micro crawler system.

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...ler/index.html
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Did you get it yet???? Keep us updated if you have it set up and let us know how it runs
Santa Cruz Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

noope still waiting for taxes to come back. i will prob get em next week.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #34

Hey joined rccrawler for this reason. I am going to build my crawler with 2 Mongoose 380 18.5t . Control for Dig function through a punk rc Programmable Computer servo control. I will be posting more as I go the parts should be here within a day or so now.
Chitowncustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

haha thats funny im gonna be runing the same setup cool glad im not the only one lmao. lemme know how it goes im gonna be seting mine up in a week or so. also doing ckrc hi steer knuckles and ckrc mg995 servos and i will be ruing 3s 3800 lipo with the mongoose crawler 18.5t setup and zno rc batwing removal kit stage 2 narrow kit and keeping 4 wheel steer for now unless the lhs or someone starts doing local comps but there r none for now. also gonna run the hammer tires and rover tires.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

oh im also already runing losi xxxt aluminium threaded shocks reverse mounted. i made a post in the tips & tricks thread on how to do it. it works 10 times better.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I believe the novak dual dig can handle brushless and all you need is one slot on your reciever and it has to outputs for dual esc setup . and I just so happen to have one in the classifieds.
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote