Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Servo Plate and Hi Steer Prototype

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Servo Plate and Hi Steer Prototype

So we made the first prototype for the steering yesterday and the servo mount. We decided to raise the servo as high as possible to keep the arm as far from the ground as possible and the bent cross link clears the servo arm and gear case perfectly. I think the next revision i will raise the cross link above the servo arm but let me know what you think.

Name:  Servo Mount 1.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  51.6 KB
Name:  Servo Mount 2.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  56.5 KB
Name:  Servo Mount 3.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  55.2 KB
Name:  Servo Mount 4.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  52.3 KB
Name:  Servo Mount 5.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  54.7 KB

The other thing I would like to do is get some hi steer knuckles instead of using spacers but the spacers are working good so far.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks pretty good. I bet with a pair of high steer knuckles it would look much better.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

here is a pic of the mount that has my point of concern. you can see it where im pointing the screw driver
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
here is a pic of the mount that has my point of concern. you can see it where im pointing the screw driver
Yeah that drew a little concern from us as well when we were designing it. What we did was use 3mm screws in the 2 holes on the gear housing and with the plate being 1/2in it that was practically enough to hold it on its own but we also tapped the hole on the axle tube to 3mm which didn't leave much meat but we put a long screw into it so it strengthened it all the way down.

So with the 2 holes on the gear housing preventing rotation the 3rd hole on the axle only being there to keep it on the same plane we have a feeling it will hold up pretty well but we are still testing.

Quote:
Looks pretty good. I bet with a pair of high steer knuckles it would look much better.
I'm going to order a set today of the high steer knuckles to do the second revision and also I was thinking of testing my other idea of mounting the servo on end so the servo arm would be facing down instead of out the only thing i am unsure of is if the connecting rod from the servo to the steering knuckle would hit the housing at full passenger side turn.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ya with that long servo horn you got it will probably hit the gear box. ok so what thread pitch are you using to tap them? is it course thread like the original screws or is it a finer thread? i was going to pick up a tap to do this mod.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
ok so what thread pitch are you using to tap them? is it course thread like the original screws or is it a finer thread? i was going to pick up a tap to do this mod.
The 3mm screw we used would be identical in diameter (not length) to the ones that hold the factory knuckles on. The original screws in the servo plate are a wood screw type similiar in size to a 2.5mm screw.

The tap is a 3mm x .5 and we use it for everything we do it makes switching out all the rodends and anything else you want to install much easier.

Last edited by ZNO-RC; 04-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Wouldn't shortening the servo horn not only give you some clearance, but also provide more torque to the wheels for steering?

looking good!!!!!!!!
Cam_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wouldn't shortening the servo horn not only give you some clearance, but also provide more torque to the wheels for steering?

looking good!!!!!!!!
yeah it would definately help with the torque and clearance but the shorter the arm the less throw you have so your turning radius is limited. That is the fine line we are trying to walk right now is somewhere in the middle of torque, size and steering abilitiy. This was just one horn we had laying around though so I will definately try a shorter one on rev B. Thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #9

glad to see the critical spots getting some attention.
Keep up the good work
seven_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

so aparently you didnt like the leopards performance aye? i noticed u got them off now lol.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
so aparently you didnt like the leopards performance aye? i noticed u got them off now lol.
No actually I still haven't run the lepards on any obstacles since we are still using them for pics right now and I actually got the lepards for the berg I'm building. We did however put the rovers on a set of new clear wheels we have in stock to see how they look and work. One thing for sure is they are quite a bit narrower than the factory wheels.

If nothing else everyone can see we run every part we sell on our own rigs and test them thoroughly .

Name:  Clear Wheel 1.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  52.7 KBName:  Clear Wheel 2.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  53.7 KB
Old 05-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ya. are they taller tho? i wanted to get a set of tires that are a bit taller to give my axles a little more clearance. i softened my stock tires up and now they sag a little low for my liking.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

lmao i just noticed the clear wheels in the pic... lmao im slow... they look cool i cant wait to get mine...
Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yes the rovers sit a little taller than the stock tires do and I run the 2 stage foam in them so there is a little sag but not to bad.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

cool i will have to pick a set up then and try em out. i dont mind some sag but mine hit the rim ALOT lol. i also got a set of hammers im gonna try out too see how they work out.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #16

Im digging the narrower rims, but are you guys going to come out with different offsets? or is there not enough room with the narrow rim?
seven_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

We actually dont make these wheels so we dont have any control over the offset but according to RC4wd who we buy them from they are the maximum offset but they dont call out an actual dimension for the offset.

We just love the fact that they are clear and compliment the pieces we do make
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Are you running the stock plastic knuckles? how are they holding up to the added leverage of the risers if so? I was thinking something along that line on top of my highsteer but Im afraid of the risers working like a pry bar to break my knuckle off.
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

No they look like stock knuckles but they are actually black anodyzed aluminum knuckles and the factory knuckles definately would not hold up to any leverage at all I broke one on my first rig without any modification to them at all just a strong servo.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
jwo
Rock Crawler

the rock rippers are a good wheel. they will increase the track width, because of their offset. they use em on the cliffys because of tire rub. will help us with the tire rub as well. i believe they only make one offset.i narrowed my 8 shooters to aid this problem, but i also run some home made wheel hex wideners. that would also make a good hop up part for you guys to make. easy as pie to make zno-rc. i like the fact that someone finially stepped up for making actual hopup parts for the rs10.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote