Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Steel Gear Official Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

maaan i seem to tear that slipper cover up more then the gears. over long usage it tends to start geting all wallowed out and when the pin snaps it just tears it up bad. thaqt i think should be the next thing to be changed and made metal or even aluminium would be better.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

M y Order is IN!!! ETA ne 1?
dgna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon0713 View Post
maaan i seem to tear that slipper cover up more then the gears. over long usage it tends to start geting all wallowed out and when the pin snaps it just tears it up bad. thaqt i think should be the next thing to be changed and made metal or even aluminium would be better.
Ya i hear ya my rear one is gettin pretty wallowed now ive done both pins already and just waiting for that cover to go.
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

So what's the deal with the gears? Are they available yet?

Jake
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #25

We are still waiting for the factory to finish with the gears.

I don't want to give anymore dates of when they are expected since the last few have not come true. I do apologize for this but I do guarantee they will be here at some point.

When they actually ship from the factory I will be happy to give a firm date.

Thanks

Darin
RedcatRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

just a suggestion redcat might want to think about making this piece metal as well in the future.

this is the least chewed up one i have. my other one is far worse. i have chewed through 3 of em now. the first one i chewed up in a week of having it with all stock components.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #27
jwo
Rock Crawler

it would be nice to have that piece metal as well. im gonna be making myself a metal set of those. i have come up with a good way to make one. on mine its not that piece thats wearing out. still perfect. its the hole where the pin goes thats gotten really sloppy. i have even considered making a slipper set up on the diff gear to help aid the chance of breakage, but im not sure how well it would function under that much stress. the only issue i have had yet was a mangled up dogbone. twisted and bent pretty bad. other then that my axles have taken a beating and are holding up great.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
just a suggestion redcat might want to think about making this piece metal as well in the future.

this is the least chewed up one i have. my other one is far worse. i have chewed through 3 of em now. the first one i chewed up in a week of having it with all stock components.
So talon the 3 that you have gone through have all been the factory replacement assemblies? Have you tried replacing just the pin on one before using it? I sacraficed a drill (.082) on the set that I have and they have been holding up great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo View Post
it would be nice to have that piece metal as well. im gonna be making myself a metal set of those. i have come up with a good way to make one. on mine its not that piece thats wearing out. still perfect. its the hole where the pin goes thats gotten really sloppy. i have even considered making a slipper set up on the diff gear to help aid the chance of breakage, but im not sure how well it would function under that much stress. the only issue i have had yet was a mangled up dogbone. twisted and bent pretty bad. other then that my axles have taken a beating and are holding up great.
We are getting these assemblies in from redcat probably the end of this week for those of you that have already wiped out the hole or plastic casing and we are going to be selling just hardened steel dowl pins to replace the factory ones. The set of factory pins in 2 of our Rs's worked decent for a long time but the most recent 2 cars we sold had the pins go bad within the first 2 weeks.

Hopefully this will be an easy cheap fix to keep us up and running
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Just installed a set and everything lines up and meshes perfectly. They run a little louder than plastic gears do (all metal gears will do this), but the added torque these can handle will be well worth the little bit of extra noise!

if your runing the gears for added torque. then what kind of engine are you running exectly?
CubCadet Pulling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNO-RC View Post
So talon the 3 that you have gone through have all been the factory replacement assemblies? Have you tried replacing just the pin on one before using it? I sacraficed a drill (.082) on the set that I have and they have been holding up great.
hea i now have some better fiting 13mm long pins i got from gunnar and now they dont have any slop in them so it doesnt have room to get chewed up and its holding up alot better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubCadet Pulling View Post
if your runing the gears for added torque. then what kind of engine are you running exectly?
alot of the guys are running bigger 540 motors in them as am i. and they have a lot more power then the 380 motors.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #31

Confirmed first batch of steel gears have been shipped from China. We should have them within about 4-5 days.

Thanks

Darin
RedcatRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedcatRacing View Post
Confirmed first batch of steel gears have been shipped from China. We should have them within about 4-5 days.

Thanks

Darin
Damn I already sold my redcat axles
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:

I broke the stock pins within 2 days of buying mine but luckily I didn’t chew the plastic housings up too much. After breaking I was scrounging around my property looking for something to fix it with when I stumbled upon some weed blocker fabric staples. They were a tight fit in the housing and all I had to do was cut them to length. Been holding up really well now for a few months so far. You can find the staples in the garden department at Home Depot / Lowes next to the weed blocker fabric for a few dollars and you will have enough staples to do lots and lots of pins.
turbojeep275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

I saw mine was getting chewed up as well so last time I had it apart to do the 540 conversion I drowned it with loctite and let it dry for a day before using. Took some of the slop out of the axle and sofar it's holdin up to the new Integy V10 55t motors. Funny though, as soon as I have enough power to climb, I start breaking Steering knuckles. Luckily the ax10 ones fit pretty good and the LHS had them in stock.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #35
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNO-RC View Post

We are getting these assemblies in from redcat probably the end of this week for those of you that have already wiped out the hole or plastic casing and we are going to be selling just hardened steel dowl pins to replace the factory ones. The set of factory pins in 2 of our Rs's worked decent for a long time but the most recent 2 cars we sold had the pins go bad within the first 2 weeks.

Hopefully this will be an easy cheap fix to keep us up and running
that's a very good idea using hardened steel. i replaced my pin with a piece of an allen wrench. the plastic casing is perfect.its the shaft the pin goes in for me. i think the steel is a little on the soft side that was used. but then again they do well dealing with 540's, brushless power, and puller motors. im still going to make a new spool for it, eliminating the pin and the plastic casing for it altogether. it will just bolt right to the gear. i would think the load wouldn't be no where near as bad as it is on the pin. we cry about areas for improvement and you are here trying to give what we need and want. i know as well as others and i . we thank you
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Steel gears are in stock. All the local guys, please PM me with qualitties, so I can pick them up Monday morning. Pre-orders are also shipping Monday as well.
RAMTech-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTech-RC View Post
Steel gears are in stock. All the local guys, please PM me with qualitties, so I can pick them up Monday morning. Pre-orders are also shipping Monday as well.
RIGHT ON Cannot wait Is western NM Local LOL!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Sure, meet me at the 7-11 on Chandler Blvd!!
RAMTech-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTech-RC View Post
Sure, meet me at the 7-11 on Chandler Blvd!!
Hay Brother I received my gear sets today very heavy and very good mesh
Thanks for the quick shipping and great communication!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #40

Thumbs up

got my set of steelies from crawford performance. i haven't installed them yet (still waiting on hardened steel pins), but they are heavy and arrived super quick even using usps for shipping. VERY satisfied with the quality and can't wait to install.
jozo5150 is offline   Reply With Quote