Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: LittleE's Low Dime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
That sounds pretty reasonable and if it doesn't sell very easily, you could always part it out.
Exactly what i was thinking
LittleE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Just an update of my rig.

I recenetly had it up for sale for a little while but i kept thinking and thinking that it's just a little to personalized for anyone to really buy it. I took out of the for sale on here but kept it on craigslist for local sale incase someone does want to buy it. If noone local buys it before i get my next bit of money, i'll be keeping it and making it better. So the updates from the last pictures are:
-raised GC to 3.5"
-put stock shocks on front with internall spring setup (mainly for BTA steering clearance)
-made my custom aluminum BTA steering arm
-narrowed the wheels
-lowered the electronics a little more

Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

So made ANOTHER chassis, this one has the slanted bottom so the GC is 2 3/4" at the front and 3 1/2" at back, i also made a different skid for it, it's sanded down for the battery to slide in and almost be flat to the ground and not be slanted bellow the front links. I really like this chassis, still needs some sanding on the bottom, still tuning it a little. I went to test it yesterday though and my steering got caught in a crevis while going down a steep crawl and it rolled forward and somehow my right knuckle snapped. So it's going to be down for awhile until i get the money to get the CKRC higsteer knuckles.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

well if your going to revive this thing, I'll revive your thread!
Looks like it's a pretty nice rig. Judging by your video, some new motors would bring it up to snuff. 540 gear cases are on the market now too from ZNO-rc. Don't give up on her yet.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

What did ya do with the old chassis?

Justin
WILDMAN442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Default i say part it out

I would say part it out, most people who have crawlers dont want them already done, if anything they want them totally in pieces so they can make their own. Eveyone i know with one is always looking for "parts" and never "rtr." I think you would make more if it was parted out too.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Well here it is. This is what I could with what I had. Basically, I took the entire thing apart and reassembled it as right as I could. I used stock shocks in the front with internal springs so that the tires have more room with turning. I had to use an old tie-rod I built along time ago basically when I first started modding this thing, it's not the best but it gets the job done and its all i have atm. That is the chassis that I built and talked about in the last post about a year ago, it's slanted at the bottom, just a concept I want to try. I dont have anything to measure with on me atm so i'm going to geuss that its 2 1/4" at the beginning out the skid and about 2 3/4" - 3" in the rear. I did a quick drive around my room with what little battery it has and it seems to work just as well as it used to. If I get really frustrated with the ghetto lock out I'll buy some aluminum knuckles for all around and some new lock outs from ZNO-rc. Also I don't have enough money for the 540 upgrade, well, I do, but i'd rather spend it on my 1:1, also the old chassis plates are sitting on my work bench or are thrown away, I'm not really sure.

The ghetto lock out with snapped knuckle.

What I don't miss from this hobby

Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Well if you come across the old plates and want to throw them away to me I will pay the shipping!

Looks good though man.

Justin
Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDMAN442 View Post
Well if you come across the old plates and want to throw them away to me I will pay the shipping!

Looks good though man.

Justin

Definitely, I'll let you know if I find them. And thank you.

I plan on taking it out this weekend to test it. I'll update how well it works in the state its in
Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Absolutely!

I am still trying to get mine right.

Need to figure out link geometry.

Make sure to get some pics and video!

Justin
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDMAN442 View Post
Absolutely!

I am still trying to get mine right.

Need to figure out link geometry.

Make sure to get some pics and video!

Justin
Will do.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I was wondering if anyone has their old plastic knuckles and/or steering linkage I'd buy it off you and pay shipping or you can just through it at me and I'd still pay shipping . Trying to find a cheaper route from buying new stuff. Let me know.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

So, I've been looking at things I could fix without spending to much and I also am selling some stuff to fund fixing this thing up. I priced out a 12"x12" sheet of 1/8" delrin, a 6"x6" sheet of 1/4" polyethylene, a 4ft stick of 5/16" delrin rod, 100 m3 bolts, and 100 m3 hex nuts from McMasters at $25.78. Aluminum knuckles and some m3 rod ends from ZNO-RC at $27.69 including shipping. So $53.47 for me to get this thing into a way better condition. I'd build ANOTHER chassis (because I'm never satisfied with the one I have), new set of links, new steering set up and most likely a new servo mount. I already sketched up an idea for the chassis. It's a little more complex than any thing else I've done so I'd definitely actually spend time on doing it right and getting the wholes as even as possible. Basically make it looks as good as I possible can, unlike all the other one's I've rushed to make. It's basically just a simple main chassis with adjustable shock mounts. I'd also mount the bottom links on the outside of the chassis this time because It'd only be 2 1/4" wide. That also means that I'd have to have the shocks spaced out a lot from the chassis so that it doesn't interfere with the motor to much. I thought of that while sketching it so I though why not make a custom spacer that takes two holes to mount, I don't need a bunch of wholes because it adjusts so It'd be a 3/4"x1/2" piece of polyethylene shaped from two holes to one. It's kind of hard to explain but I think the pic helps.

The design on the side is just an idea, that'd be hard for me to do. Chances are that the links would be straight, no bends and that the shocks would stay in the 70/30 droop set up they're in now. Right now it's just an idea so any input on the design is respected.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

So, went out to test and take pictures and record, turns out the only spot I know of around here is being redone so now I have nowhere I know of. Wish I could had a good update today but geuss not. Going to have to go hunting for rocks when I have time.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleE View Post
So, went out to test and take pictures and record, turns out the only spot I know of around here is being redone so now I have nowhere I know of. Wish I could had a good update today but geuss not. Going to have to go hunting for rocks when I have time.

Tell the wife your building a "rockgarden". It worked for me..............
Come to think of it, She left me....... But, I'm Reasonably sure it wasn't because of the rockpile.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Tell the wife your building a "rockgarden". It worked for me..............
Come to think of it, She left me....... But, I'm Reasonably sure it wasn't because of the rockpile.
Not married so it wouldn't be a problem but I'm in school right now, living with my dad so it's kinda an issue with him , I have a little obstacle in front, its a 60* climb into a 50* downward crawl into an uneven turn and down a near drop. It's nothing special but I also have some little stuff in the way in places and on the climb you have to take a certain line to make it, I actually tried to record on that but the RC was having some trouble and now I'm a little mad that it's not working so great, I'll be working on it and tuning it for the rest of this week after work and this weekend until I get it the best I can and then mabey record. It couldn't even make it up my stair set, which used to be really easy, also then again, I'm a year out of practice.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #37
RCC Addict

lookin good little e, really liking that body on it. good job
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Im having a problem. When I'm only about 5 feet away from my crawler, it starts having seizures.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleE View Post
Im having a problem. When I'm only about 5 feet away from my crawler, it starts having seizures.
Fresh batts in the radio?
wires tied together?
antenna wire as for away from other wires as possible?
antenna sticking straight up?
metal on metal rubbing? the servos love that.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Fresh batts in the radio?
wires tied together?
antenna wire as for away from other wires as possible?
antenna sticking straight up?
metal on metal rubbing? the servos love that.
Ended up redoing all the wiring, trying to keep the wires apart yet clean and I also placed the antenna differently. It's better, I get about 15 ft of range with no worries. That's good enough, it's very rare that I'm even like 6 ft away from it.

Thanks.