Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: LittleE's Low Dime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: LittleE's Low Dime

So had some time to work on the thing. I'm going to be ordering another banebot 390. Previously, I would have just done the 540 upgrade but I'm on college budget now so.. no more of that. Everything seems to be working fine, except the front motor of course, it was nice driving it around the dorm a little. Going to see if i can crawl through the stairwell at some point. When no one is around that is. Here are some pics of it. I had to remake that rear wheel stabilizer, I replaced that broken front shock and all is well for now, The links need some adjusting; the wheelbase is still too long.

LittleE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Friday update:

I went through everything:
-Checked all the wires to make sure they were in good condition
-Lubed the shocks and replaced the oil
-Tightened all the bolts

Thing was in pretty bad shape

I replaced the front lower links with some older ones that are shorter. That took my wheelbase back to 12.5", so that's good. Suprisingly my sort of bad wheel narrowing job is still holding. I also messed with the suspension a bit, brought it back to one of the old set ups that I liked a lot (pretty much how it was in my carnage pile video). So now it's sitting at just a little lower than 3" with about 0.3" droop in the front and about 1" in the rear. I'm going to start looking for a spot that I can test it. Can't really think of anywhere in LA though. Might have to wait until I go back for thanksgiving to test it but I still have my roommates junk to crawl over

Also, does anyone have any input on the banebot 390s vs the 395s? I need a new motor and if the difference is good, i might as well get two.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

So I made a quick course in my living room with random stuff, I'm going to post another video in a little while of it taking as steep of a vertical as it can but it's charging right now. I did the best I could with the motor not wanting to help to much, that's why the front got stuck behind the chair near the end.
Low Dime Test In Dorm Room - YouTube
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

What seemed to be a successful night turned pretty bad after I noticed some stuff I didn't like. That resulted in me just making the decision to tear the entire thing apart. I plan on putting it back tomorrow with full service to EVERYTHING. Going to take some time and I've already noticed some things that may need replacing and with being on about a $0 budget I'm going to have to pull some magic out of my ass. I am dedicated though. Also, if anyone in the Northridge/San Fernando Valley area knows of some good hobby shops and crawling locations, that would be awesome to know. I've looked up some stores but don't know where's good. So, hopefully update later tomorrow with the thing together and running smooth. Still need new motors. Wish I could drop the coin on 540s but ya. Oh well. This thing will be amazing with what I have and maybe some other stuff. Back to tinkering.

How it sits right now:
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleE View Post
Also, does anyone have any input on the banebot 390s vs the 395s? I need a new motor and if the difference is good, i might as well get two.
Hey - nice rig. Have made a few bodyless chassis and cabs along the way and know how challenging it can be. Truck looks good, enjoy it.

Just got a set of 395s in the mail yesterday. Had a chance to pull the stock motor and take a hard look at the two side-by-side.

Will say the Banebot looks to be better made overall. You can see the copper wound inside whereas the stock motor you see a plastic disk. Size wise they are the same. Exact replacement. Holes in the endbell are cut differently, and the 395 has a metal sleeve as a heatsink.

If you need one, would agree to get both. Some have said the 390 has more torque and the 395 more top speed. But have not seen a data based comparison of the two.
CAIRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIRN View Post
Hey - nice rig. Have made a few bodyless chassis and cabs along the way and know how challenging it can be. Truck looks good, enjoy it.

Just got a set of 395s in the mail yesterday. Had a chance to pull the stock motor and take a hard look at the two side-by-side.

Will say the Banebot looks to be better made overall. You can see the copper wound inside whereas the stock motor you see a plastic disk. Size wise they are the same. Exact replacement. Holes in the endbell are cut differently, and the 395 has a metal sleeve as a heatsink.

If you need one, would agree to get both. Some have said the 390 has more torque and the 395 more top speed. But have not seen a data based comparison of the two.
Thank you for the input. I have 390s right now but The one I have on the front is pretty much dead. I think I'm going to just get another 390 as a replacement instead of changing to 395s. Ya, the main issue I'm having right now is the rear suspension, it's just not... right. Also, weight distribution needs to be worked on. I love this thing, tried selling it multiple times but just couldn't go through with it. I've done a lot too it over time. I've had it at a better stage before, back when it had the jeep body was probably when it was at its best but I always am compelled to try new things so that went away. I'm sort of forced to stay with this chassis right now, so all that means to me is I will mess with this thing until it's as perfect as it can be.

Last edited by LittleE; 11-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.