Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: no foam testing with new setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
jwo
Rock Crawler

hey thanks jr104. went out and ran it again the other day. slapped the rovers on it again. tried something new with the foams. still using the stock foams, just added a 1/4" thick of foam around the stockers. alot better. they preformed awesome. better then the leopards. in the vid you can hear every lug searching for traction, instead of folding over and losing the traction. they walked right up a steep incline that they and the leopards suffered in before. i have another short vid. my rear dig switch decided to want to stick on me. so it hindered me a bit. usually a quick jolt of the throttle will un stick it, but it was resisting a bit.
http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...7-28150730.mp4
the second hill going up is much steeper then it looks. its as steep as the back side i tried going down with a failed attempt. i think a little more throttle with the rear locked would have been the ticket going down. i will master it!

i also went down to the lhs to find me a new body. i was hoping for a bug. the guy that runs the counter was showing me what they had. asked me what i was looking for, which was the bug. they didnt have any in stock, but he had one that he was gonna use on his comp truck that he never used. so i struck gold. he offered to sell it to me. cut and painted. i had to take it. i told him a few times he didnt have to if he didnt want to. well here it is. he said it wasnt his best paint job, but it looks pretty good. no holes, not a scratch in it. im still gonna do up my own body after this one gets messed up a bit.

it almost kinda sad. this chassis works great, but it requires alot of hacking of the body to help get the most out of it.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

NICE I was surprised by how much it wadded and DID NOT bounce..with the air
dgna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
jwo
Rock Crawler

yeah i was surprised with the aired leopards myself. it never had bouncing issues crawling on rock. the only time i got it bouncing was climbing the back window of my car full throttle. it was bouncing pretty hard. it was kind of funny to watch. tried it again with my rovers with foams and no bounce, so i would say the only time the bouncing would be the issue would be long slick rock climbs. it was a fun test to try. never had any issues with them. i did have to give short little bursts while using the dig due to the amount of bite. only changed it out to try a different setup with the rovers. need to pick up another set of wheels at some point for the leopards to make tire changes easier.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #24

sweet rig! i really dig the home brew mantis chassis!
d-ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo View Post
hey thanks jr104. went out and ran it again the other day. slapped the rovers on it again. tried something new with the foams. still using the stock foams, just added a 1/4" thick of foam around the stockers. alot better. they preformed awesome. better then the leopards. in the vid you can hear every lug searching for traction, instead of folding over and losing the traction. they walked right up a steep incline that they and the leopards suffered in before. i have another short vid. my rear dig switch decided to want to stick on me. so it hindered me a bit. usually a quick jolt of the throttle will un stick it, but it was resisting a bit.
http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...7-28150730.mp4
the second hill going up is much steeper then it looks. its as steep as the back side i tried going down with a failed attempt. i think a little more throttle with the rear locked would have been the ticket going down. i will master it!

i also went down to the lhs to find me a new body. i was hoping for a bug. the guy that runs the counter was showing me what they had. asked me what i was looking for, which was the bug. they didnt have any in stock, but he had one that he was gonna use on his comp truck that he never used. so i struck gold. he offered to sell it to me. cut and painted. i had to take it. i told him a few times he didnt have to if he didnt want to. well here it is. he said it wasnt his best paint job, but it looks pretty good. no holes, not a scratch in it. im still gonna do up my own body after this one gets messed up a bit.

it almost kinda sad. this chassis works great, but it requires alot of hacking of the body to help get the most out of it.
That looks really good with the Bug body on it! I think you really did a great job . You deffenitly took the Rs10 to the next level!!..

I have Rovers laying around, but I still want to play with the Leopard some more. I had to take a break for a while due to health problems and a recent surgery two weeks ago. But I just started tinkering again and got our rigs back together. So hopefully I'll be doing some foam and tire testing also.

Again, great job!! I think your rig is one of the coolest I seen yet! Keep it up !

Jake
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #26
jwo
Rock Crawler

thanks for the kind words jr104. i still love the leopards. they are getting worn and working better the more i run em. i keep switching back and forth. still a work in progress, but i made some alterations to it. much better then the original. i dyed this one. it was suppose to be dark green... after a while i was worried it wouldn't dye. an hour and a half later i had a blue chassis.oh well, looks better then the white.i will post up some pics later when i clean it up from today's run. i took it out for some more runs on the chassis. i couldn't believe it. i snapped one of my dog bones. twisted it and shredded t ball right off. they were from an1/8th scale crawler. i kept on bashing on it pretty hard and took out the other. oh well, gonna order up some cvd's tomorrow. give those a shot.i would buy mip's cvd set, but i have had no issues with the rear.shame they discontinued the pair ones. the axles are holding up great other then repeated bent and twisted up dogbone issues. sorry to hear about the problems. i was thinking i haven't seen any posts from you around for a while about a week ago or so. hang in there. get better soon.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #27

Default Nice build!

Could you explain a little on how your rear end setup works without the shocks? I just got my RS10 a couple of days ago, (first crawler) but Im ready to start designing my own chasis. I would like to use some of your ideas after watching your climb, I am just confused how it works!

Thanks, and nice work!
bjs1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs1785 View Post
Could you explain a little on how your rear end setup works without the shocks? I just got my RS10 a couple of days ago, (first crawler) but Im ready to start designing my own chasis. I would like to use some of your ideas after watching your climb, I am just confused how it works!

Thanks, and nice work!

i will see about getting some pics for you. the rear aluminum fourlink plate on the axle is mounted the the tail of the chassis. the rear lower links are mounted about 3/4's of the way down on the chassis that hold the rear on. the rear twists due to the material, but not alot. i had also layed my fronts down quite a bit to help aid flex.i think the droop setup also helps with this setup as well. i have noticed a few things that needed attention on the newest one to help the tracking of the rear end of the rig. after i get some pics ill show the changes i have made as well to help aid the issues.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Default Dang

I am green with envy....I am in the middle of building the CRAP out of my RS10 and it is going well except I got the wrong DIG and the wife has cut me off from the bank account I wanted to keep the stock chassis so people could see that they just got beat by a RS10.......but I like your setup and I am re-thinking my game plan now......In short, your is AWESOME !!!!
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

I'm a newbie but is the chassis actually twisting on the rear?
barshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I can't speak for jwo but I have the same chassis (he made it for me) and I was having trouble with tracking due to the rear end. I tried several setups including a batwing type brace to run rear shocks (which made it worse). In the end I used straight links in the rear which helped with tracking (thanks again to jwo) and now it kicks ass. The rear will twist a little but the articulation comes mostly from the front. Hope this helps.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #32
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barshots View Post
I'm a newbie but is the chassis actually twisting on the rear?
it is and does twist. mostly due to the material i used. i have had mine flexed pretty hard in some situations. it has more articulation then you would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_pimp View Post
I can't speak for jwo but I have the same chassis (he made it for me) and I was having trouble with tracking due to the rear end. I tried several setups including a batwing type brace to run rear shocks (which made it worse). In the end I used straight links in the rear which helped with tracking (thanks again to jwo) and now it kicks ass. The rear will twist a little but the articulation comes mostly from the front. Hope this helps.
yup at first the rear end would like to drive under its self if that makes sense?!. rc pimp would understand what im talking about. the changes i have made to it helped it out greatly. there is still some fine tuning that could be done to it, but it works very well.i think if i mount the rear chassis lower link holes level with the tail(top axle mount)it would help even more with the tracking and make it so it wont lose as much wb while articulating with my droop setup. im currently thinking about making a 3rd version of it to see if i can get more out of it. im probably asking for to much. it does just about everything i want now. im glad you like the chassis, as well as the info helping.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

is the material polypropylene? if so i have some of that =)
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #34
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
is the material polypropylene? if so i have some of that =)
i know its poly board, probably short for that. all i know is its cutting board and pretty cheap.the stuff i used is 2.50$ and will get me two chassis plates. the thickness is right for what i wanted and needed. i searched every where for a usable material. where i get it is about 20 miles away from where i live. i usually stick with what works for me. i wish i could find it in larger sheets though. if i go through with a third version im gonna see about picking up some delrin for a better look. the cutting board i used was textured so after i was done cutting it out, i shaved and sanded the chassis plates smooth as i could get them for a better look. it can be dyed. it just takes a while. i also made my rock rings out of it. so it is more useful then you would think.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Yea i made the chassis last night but I don't have enough screws and stuff like that to bolt it up lol *sad face*
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #36
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yea i made the chassis last night but I don't have enough screws and stuff like that to bolt it up lol *sad face*

i know the feeling! luckily i have a place that i can pick up hardware by the pound, so i always have a good supply on hand.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Default Oh Please

Please oh please e-mail me.....the gifted one.....the life size "blue prints" so I can butcher my wifes cutting board
Old 10-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHog View Post
Please oh please e-mail me.....the gifted one.....the life size "blue prints" so I can butcher my wifes cutting board
x2 =)
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #39
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHog View Post
Quote:
x2 =)

if you guys are up for the challenge, just pm me address. i will see what i can come up with for blue prints for ya.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Default Blue Prints

I like to thank you Mr. JWO.......here in front of everybody. You didnt have to go through the trouble of making then sending all the chassis information that you have come up with, but, you did and I think it says alot about you and your character........your A number one in my book. Thanks