Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: sealed electronics box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default sealed electronics box?

So i was checking out ebay and came across a RS10 with a different paint job kinda and metal gears but what intriged me was that it had a sealed electronics box for those "Wet" days...Has anyone seen these yet and has anyone tried them out?? Thx.

Last edited by RTVIC; 09-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Sometimes, I make things.

It can be done but if its completly sealed you will need to watch out for heat issues. I would recommend a cheap waterproof esc, like a used XL5.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

For the most part, I wouldn't imagine you would need a sealed up electronics box, unless you do A LOT of playing around in mud or plan on turning your crawler into a submarine. There are plenty of little tricks that you can do to "waterproof" your rig, such as the electronics boxes or enclosing your esc in a balloon.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

didnt see it on ebay. i would stick with the waterproofing methods jsowens said. crude but simple.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i was checking out ebay again and its actually Heat hobbies edition i guess just tweaked a little bit and now i dont see the part were i read it was sealed for those wet days wtf!!http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Rock-Cr...item3f02fe0676

i do plan on doing lots of trailing in the forest this winter i when i see a big azz puddle its hard to stay away from it and also ive never tried driving it in the snow yet lol..Im liking the ballon idea tho def going to give that a try thx for the tip!! and i guess the servo can be ballooned also right.

i was also wondering if anyone has tried the rockslide 1/8 scale axels with the 540s on the RS10?

Last edited by RTVIC; 09-09-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

2x3 Rat-shack project box.
RTV blue.

Ran a bead around the lid flange, then used my finger to fill it in a triangular shape.
After it dried I ran a razor blade at a 30deg angle all the way around.
Added four round disk blobs of RTV where the screw boss' meet the bottom half.

Bought servo extension cables (3-6") and ran them through a slot.
Then RTV around the outside of them, then pull them inward 1/4" to pull the RTV into the slot. Finish off with some around the inside of the slot.

Here is a pick of the box and lid before I ran the wires.

In my JK
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

that looks like the same truck. same price pretty much with steel gears. good buy.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

that box looks pretty sweet altho the only prob i could see is theres prob not much room for the fan to get air..And ya i would say thats a great buy indeed with the steel gears in there already since those are going for around $50 a pair.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i couldnt see the box from the pick. I got my gears from crawford performance. had themn on sale for 17.99 per axle. had to snatch t hem puppies up. LOL i just said snatch.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Before I came across your thread I noticed several Redcat's in the gallery sitting near or in the water. I was wondering if it might have came waterproof. Apparently not according to your posts here. Wonder why Redcat doesn't offer diferent body styles or at least colors?
wheelchair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

not really waterproof. electronics are mounted high so as long as it is not submerged you are ok IMO. I have no problem running it in a few inches of water. different bodies and or colors would be nice but there are so many options i think they played it smart and offer the one they do and let someone else make a little coin by offering different bodies.