Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Going LiPo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Going LiPo

Will the stock electronic handle a LiPo setup, like what should i look for if I buy battries and a charger. Not the best with electronics sorry.
barshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Will the stock electronics handle lipo? Several people on here have ran lipo on the stock electronics without issue. However, the stock electronics aren't rated for higher voltage, specifically that of 3s lipo and COULD fail. The other issue is the stock ESC doesn't have a lipo cutoff built in, so you run the chance of messing your battery up by running it too low. If you wanna try it out, you can find plenty of battery info just by searching for lipo on here. Batteries and chargers are relatively inexpensive these days...you can get a decent charger for as low as $60ish. If you plan on using the stock ESC, I would recommend at the very least getting a lipo alarm so you won't over discharge your battery and mess it up.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yea i was gonna invest in an alarm or a led display or something along those lines. There are a lot of good deals on hobbypartz.com

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html Charger/discharger/balancer

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-4000ma...4-25c-car.html LiPo battery

Good or bad
I not sure and juss wanna hear from someone more experienced in this before i order it. Thanx

Last edited by barshots; 10-10-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I ran 3s lipo on the stock esc for a while. The fan will whine and burn out though. Get a different fan or put in a resistor to drop the voltage. The NiMH batts don't hold a candle to the lipo. The alarms work fine but you have to find a place for them.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I juss wanna know if the battery and the charger is a good quality and worth ordering.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

We have never run a 2S on the RS10. I'm sure it would be a good setup to run but with the RS10 already being a slight underdog it is nice to increase the voltage to 3S Lipos (11.1V rated, 12.6V charged) It gives you the extra torque to really put it through its paces.

The Charger/Balancer looks good I would just recommend getting a dc-ac converter to give you options on charging in different locations. The batter would be awesome though and more than likely give you hours of crawling time.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

One main point in doing the change over to lipo is the ESC. You will gain a lot and could save your rig with the right ESC. The ESC in the RS10 is not lipo compatible. So along with a good lipo and charger, I would recommend a new ESC.
Also, when looking for a lipo, stick with a 3S as ZNO-RC stated. Pair that with a chager that will charger any type of battery, and you will really improve the performance of our RS10!

Let me know how we can help...

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanx alot guys for the info I'll be placing a order tonight
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Make sure you know that that charger DOES NOT plug into the wall. You'll need to buy an ac--> dc converter that does at least 5 amps at 12 volts. The cheapest way is to find a computer for free that doesn't work and remove the power supply on it. You can jumper it on and use it as the 12v input. Google " psu jumper 12v power supply "and you'll see all sorts of how to articles on this. Or you can buy one but that just adds $$.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

HEHE I Have like 4 PSU laying around that wouldn't be a problem for me lol
Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Scratch that, i juss bought 4 powerizers nimh batteries and a dynamite vision peak 2 charger for 50 shipped