Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My RS-10 build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My RS-10 build...

Well I got my RS-10 about a month ago and was running it in the woodpile and ended up stripping a servo. This prompted me to order a bunch of new parts and completely tear it down and rebuild it while waiting for said parts... Onto some pics!

Built a new skid with a place for a stick pack as well as the reciever, esc, antenna mount, and a recessed hole for the switch. All the wires between the reciever and esc and the wires going to the motors run under the esc and reciever in a milled out channel.

Built a couple aluminum wing eliminators and aluminum servo mounts.

Then I proceeded to build a cantilever shock setup and use some traxxas aluminum shocks off my t-maxx and the stock RS-10 springs. I neglected to take any pics during this part of the build so I'll just throw up some of the finished product.

billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

And some additional pics... Oh I forgot to mention I also threw on a set of HB white dot rovers, 8-tooth pinions front and rear and upgraded both steering servos too!

I have a few 5300MAH stick packs coming off of e-bay but it'll be slow getting here because they're coming from Hong-Kong! Lol.

Last edited by billybob_81067; 12-14-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

Holy crap the wing eliminator and servo mount are gorgeous. Have any plans to sell those? I am sure I am not the only one intereste in them. You look like you are handy with a mill, how about making some gear halves that will accept bigger mottors hint hint
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

+1 for sure they look great. I love the look of the shock setup let us know how it works
87silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

And one more here... Those pieces are really nice!!
Big Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #6

Agreed. Those are some really nice pieces, I like the way you changed the chassis set up. How does it work in comp situations? I have my axles set up with 540's from my bro who got them from CamoBob, I am putting my dig in this week to comp it on Saturday. Again, love the chassis set up. Post action pics or vid of truck running please/
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #7

Try to bent those links and you will get amazing CG. They looks like plastic so throw there some stock bent links.
MRff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the comments guys!

No plans on production of the wing eliminator or servo mount... If I had a CNC mill I'd set up and run a start batch of 100 of each and be all over it like white on rice! I've had dreams of getting one, but can't quite justify it. Most of the stuff I do isn't large quantities of any one item anyways... just one off stuff for all my different projects.

I have no idea how this would work in a comp. We don't have anything like that around here. I live way out in the sticks and bash around my yard with this thing just for fun. I took it out today and it was climbing all kinds of stuff I couldn't have in stock form. Probably most of that was the tires though... the HB rovers are soft and grip like crazy!

And yeah I replaced the stock lowers with Acetal links, and then used the lowers for the uppers. Lol! I'll run the plastic ones for awhile, but maybe someday I'll change to some bent aluminum ones.

I will attempt to get some pics/video of it, but it might be a few days... gotta get my cousin to run the camera for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Jer
Rock Crawler

Roughly what did it cost you to make the eliminator and servo tray? If you had a digital copy of it send it to a couple of the rs10 vendors here I am sure they would love to have the R&D done for some nice looking parts.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #10

Mad skills there with the metal work!! That wing eliminator is really sweet, Nice Work!
Kcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the compliments!

As far as cost goes...

$22 for an 18 pack of bud light lime and some bar stock aluminum I had lying around in my metal pile.

Seriously though the actual materials cost is almost nothing... I bought that aluminum bar from some surplus store over the internet to help fill up an order and figured I might need it someday. I think I gave like $10 or $15 for a 3 foot bar of it and used less than a foot of it for the two wing eliminators and the two servo mounts.

Unfortunately no digital copy... This was seriously low-tech. Me in my garage with a mini-mill, a pair of calipers, and a magic marker that I used for layout fluid so I could scribe lines into the aluminum. Most the measurements are not critical, just so long as you get the hole placements right to screw them to the axle, get the width of the wing eliminator right so that it fits snugly over the axle, and the distance between the posts on the servo mount right so that a servo fits in snugly.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

$22.00 for 18 pack of bud light!!!!! That lime must be exspensive I get 18 pack bud light for 14 out the door!

Great Build way to think out of the box!!!!!!!!

You should make a small skid to go between lower links on frame and add some 540 motor
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I just love how that wing eliminator looks. Its a lot better then a dremeled down piece of plastic like I have
87silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

verry sweet looking
lawndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #15

awsome build man.
kpickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #16

these parts could probally be sand-casted from aluminum or whatever, maybe could make a balsa wood form of the part needed, then could be cleaned up and drilled/tapped

anybody do that kind of hobby work? aluminimum foundry and sand casting?> Ive been thinking about it
TheRockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

What are you using to machine these parts? CNC?
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockguy View Post
these parts could probally be sand-casted from aluminum or whatever, maybe could make a balsa wood form of the part needed, then could be cleaned up and drilled/tapped

anybody do that kind of hobby work? aluminimum foundry and sand casting?> Ive been thinking about it
Yeah they definately could be cast and then cleaned up a bit and that would save a bunch of time hogging off material! I've also thought about doing some aluminum casting before... I have a barrel 2/3's full of crushed beer cans and it's only gonna get worse!

No CNC, Just an X2 Mini mill. One of these day's I'll have a full sized knee mill. Just gotta find one around here!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Just an update. Got some new T-maxx big bore shocks with threaded bodies so that I can adjust the spring stiffness more easily... They are on it now. Also just got aluminum knuckles and steel gears for the axles in the mail today. Plus a 67 F-100 Parma body for it.

When I get around to it I'll get all that stuff put on it and the body painted and take a few more pics.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

mr. moneybags. Rig looks awsome dude. Love the suspension.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote