Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: aluminum steering knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default aluminum steering knuckles

i installed them today they are for an axial ax10 and everything fit perfect, the bearings, the grommets, even the stock steering hardware threaded right into the new knuckle and when i put my tire on it doesnt go onto the spindle nut far enough and is tight against my beadlock (you could easily cure the problem with a dremel). also you would need a shorter rod end on ONE side to cure the angle at witch one tire would be at (ill post a pic). Luckily my buddy has an axial and will buy them if i cant find someone with a dremel...youll notice they have a different curve which prevents tire from going all the way on.

this is also were it rubs on the beadlock jus millimeters off would fix the prob

i really like the look they add to it

just a heads up in case you are getting some

this is how one short rod end would be necesssary to fix it

Last edited by redneckjiujitsu; 01-01-2011 at 10:05 PM.
redneckjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

i got the same predicament when i changed to axial alum knuckles what i did was to bend the stock link from the middle you got two choices from here either go for hi-steer setup or go for a BTA setup, dont sell it off yet i can say bending has its advantages
bahogtubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
RCC Addict

just bend the drag link , problem solved
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I would say keep them...mod them with a dremel so they work with the wheels, then either get shorter rod ends, make new links, or bend the stock link. The extra strength of the knuckles and the fact that they won't flex like stock plastic knuckles is worth the little bit of work.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

my buddy is bringing a dremel over...also my son has taken one of my lug nuts so i gotta find a nut to use so we can go crawlin today....my buddy and i are going to consolodate our rock piles and get some bricks from my father in law and use my 740 sq ft garage for an indoor crawlin spot lol
Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=jsowens;2834622]I would say keep them...mod them with a dremel so they work with the wheels,

you DONT have to dremel anything , got the same ones on my truck i used all stock parts on mine just a little bending on the drag link, pic sent

Last edited by crawlhog; 01-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

the drag link isnt the big problem... its the way that the curve differs between the two (first pic). it rubs the beadlock bad and if i dremel it down there wont be anyting left..the rim doesnt even go half way onto the hex nut..
Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Bet I can make them work
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Jer
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHog View Post
Bet I can make them work

Or you could tell him what you had in mind and help a guy out.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

smaller beadlocks, longer axle shafts, or a different bend on the curved part are the only ways i can see it working, and it all fitting GOOD enough without it being on my mind when im crawlin...and u read my mind on warhogs reply...he must be the jamie hyneman of the rc world

Last edited by redneckjiujitsu; 01-03-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I took my inner beadlock rings off and chucked them up in the lathe and turned out the middles so that I would have as much clearance as possible.

I was planning on building my own hi-steer aluminum knuckles, but I dunno if or when I'll get around to finishing them...
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Just seemed to me in the first paragraph you wanted to find somebody "who had a dremel".......well I got one and some righteous hillbilly engineering skills. Wasnt tryin to ba a smarty pants....more of an offer for you to send them to me and when you get them back.....they'll work.
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Jer
Rock Crawler

I think a dremel at bare minimum is a required tool for the hobby, they are cheap too. I would look into different wheels that might fit it, ax10 wheels are cheap and plenty, I am sure you know someone that would let you test fit their wheels. Not to mention it's only a few tire changes away from your stock wheels stripping anyway.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I've only had my crawler 2 months...bought it with a bunch of scrap metal I had layin around in garage...the scrap wire might buy me a dremel
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
Jer
Rock Crawler

You'll wonder how you lived without one lol
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Well I'll be danged if I didn't order some aluminum knuckles with my last order from ZNO-RC! Lol I totally forgot I had them ordered... Kinda scary really. What else have I been doing in my insomnia induced late night rampages/ordering sessions?

Sooo... One of these days I'll let ya know how they work out with my bored out inner beadlock rings. Right now I have my Traxxas T-maxx stripped down to nothingness, so I gotta get it all back together first!
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote