Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Antenna tube.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Antenna tube.

I can't seem to feed the cable through the tube. Is there a trick to doing so. Also I was thinking about upgrading my servos with a couple of these.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Do I need to add a bec or will it run ok like it is. I'm not in any compition.

One last question please. I seen this on redcat's website.
http://www.zno-rc.com/pages/products...te_stage1.html

Is this so I can use a flat pack.

Thanks.

Gates
gates59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sprinkle some baby powder or talcum powder on the antenna wire to make it slippery and it will slide right through the tube.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Baby powder worked great. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I have no experience with those servos, but based on their torque ratings they should be better than stock. As far as them working without a BEC is concerned...they may or may not. When I upgraded to my new servo my rig glitched like crazy until I put a BEC in. The BEC supplies more power to your servos resulting in more torque...they're never a bad thing, whether you comp or just drive around for fun.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I would like to add a bec but too bad they don't make one that is plug and play. I don't like the fact of cutting wires. Too bad they don't make them like before. They ran on extra 4 AA batteries.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

I should be getting some servos almost like those, I think the only difference is the sticker on the front, I also recieved a bec yesterday in preperation of the new servos. I will let you know how they do, hopefully this afternoon !
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

It would be nice if you could let me know if they work without the bec. Also a picture of your bec installed. Thank you so much.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates59 View Post
I would like to add a bec but too bad they don't make one that is plug and play. I don't like the fact of cutting wires. Too bad they don't make them like before. They ran on extra 4 AA batteries.
The rc4wd BEC is virtually plug and play. On one side you solder the wires to your ESC battery wires...for me, I have deans plugs and just soldered the wires to my ESC wires at the plug. The other end you plug into your receiver, then you pull the red wire loose from the ESC plug that goes into your receiver. You can tape the red wire down and re-insert it later if you wish.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm not great at soldering. I always wanted to buy some new tools to solder but don't know where to start. I have two soldering irons but none of them seem to work good. One small pin type and a large gun type. There are some with an open flame but don't know how well those work. It might be the solder I'm using?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #10

I'm pretty sure these replace or update the MG995 servos - which initially got horrible reviews. I've seen pretty good reviews for the MG996's but it may be worth the time to google these and check out the reviews.

Based on what I've read, for a crawler application they will probably work well but I would not want to use them in a plane...

Regards
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Everytime I play around a little with this thing I find more problems. Now the transmitter antenna is falling apart. One of the section is very loose and I see a copper ring that shows up. Only on the second battery charge. I doubt that redcat will replace this. I sent a request for new servos early this morning. No reply yet. I'll try to send another for this now. Not expecting a reply anytime soon. They might not warranty anything since I live in Canada.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Everytime I play around a little with this thing I find more problems. Now the transmitter antenna is falling apart. One of the section is very loose and I see a copper ring that shows up. Only on the second battery charge. I doubt that redcat will replace this. I sent a request for new servos early this morning. No reply yet. I'll try to send another for this now. Not expecting a reply anytime soon. They might not warranty anything since I live in Canada.
Not true, just give them an email, if you read the warranty section on the redcat site they have a lifetime replacement program on electronics and a 90 warranty on defects and workmanship ! I sent support an email about my transmitter that I just got 10 days ago and they are sending me a new one, and I dont have to send mine untill I recieve the new one! And I got a reply the same day !
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #13

It may cost you a couple extra bucks for shipping but you should not have any problems with getting fixed up.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

They only have a 30 day warranty on electronics not lifetime. If I have to pay to ship something back to them it would be cheaper for me to buy it here. I sent the 2 e-mails yesterday. One first thing in the morning and nothing. Well see what happens but I will be selling this thing. Too cheaply made for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #15

http://www.redcatracing.com/information/warranty.html

90 day limited waranty
Lifetime electronics replacement program.

After the 90 days they only charge you a portion of the cost of a given item, even if you smash it with a hammer (It will just cost a little more for misuse.)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Still have to send old parts back. Shipping from Canada to us is very high. Might as well buy new on ebay. Cheaper. That is how they get you. No one will bother to send in a claim. Atleast that is how I think it is. They still have not replied to me yet.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
If you have a local hobby shop around buy a better replacement antenna for the TX. Mine fell apart within a hour.
CrAsHmAsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I wonder if redcat will send me a replacement. I don't have a dealer near by. Atleast I know now that they are easy to find. I thought this might be something that only one type of antenna fits. Thanks to all for your reply's.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #19

I had the same problem with my antenna so i got some fishing line and fed it down the tube then tied it to the antenna cable and pulled it back through the tube worked great.
dawbzcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #20

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-MG996R-Metal-...item41539bfd8c

These are the servos that I installed today along with a UBEC that I got for $10.00 shipped. The UBEC has an output of 6v at 3A, which is probably the most your gonna get out of your stock battery. I saw significant improvment over stock ! I ran the servos without the bec at first just to see if I could tell a difference in the servos from stock and I really didn't see that much change, hooked up the bec and they came to life !! So in conclusion, a bec is a must ! And I recomend these servos for the price!