Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Why Cant A Redcat win a comp??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Why Cant A Redcat win a comp??????

Remember the things you use to compete with and kick @$$ just because you liked ( loved ) to do it!!! Why is a Redcat rs10 any different??? are we older and more lazy or just giving in to sales "
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

its not that they cant win it just takes alot of work to get there had mine at many comps , never first but never last check out ZNO,S builds they comp theres all the time and do quite well, but again alot of work
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

All it takes is time and money.... The RS10 is more then capable to win one with all the right mods. And the right driver. 80% rig 20% driver.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

IM gonna have to disagree and say it's closer to 80 driver 20 rig . But either way , Redcats dont win because they were cursed by the mighty Beelzelbob
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I actually placed 1st novice class at a comp last weekend with my RS10, even I was surprised! There are definetly things you can do to make it comp worthy and even do really well with it. A driver that really knows what his rig is capable of is important. If I was running pro class though, I would have not done as well. Some rigs are just so dialed in that it would take alot of time and money to get a RS10 to keep up with them. But again it has alot to do with the driver, so I could see a Redcat in the right hands do amazing.
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If a driver put in a lot of time driving a RS10 and shelled out the cash to set it up properly I'm sure one could do quite well in a comp. Problem is, most people don't wanna shell out too much cash on a rig that costs less than $200. Camobob is right, though. You could put a $1,000 comp rig in the hands of a noob and they would do horrible with it, but on the other hand you could put a $500 rig in the hands of a pro and they'd do much better.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
IM gonna have to disagree and say it's closer to 80 driver 20 rig . But either way , Redcats dont win because they were cursed by the mighty Beelzelbob
Oh Ummm... My bad.... I am still half asleep here at work. I completly agree with you 100%.... I really did mean that the other way around.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #8

i have to disagree with that i believe any rig with some upgrades can win a comp its in the hands of the driver look at 1:1 rigs at comps it really the driver that looks at the lines he knows his rig can do without alot of bashing been to about 50 1:1 crawler comps and i ve seen stock class do better than super class rigs cause they pick their lines
irishfabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Not to bash redcat (I own there ground pounder) but there not comp worthy. There a great basher but redcats not quite there yet. But just like what was said above its mostly the driver.
lipbr302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbr302 View Post
Not to bash redcat (I own there ground pounder) but there not comp worthy. There a great basher but redcats not quite there yet. But just like what was said above its mostly the driver.
I'm curious...why don't you think they're "comp worthy"? Most people also say that an out of the box RTR ax10 isn't "comp worthy", yet they're praised like no other. I personally think that if someone bought a RS10, actually took time to research and learn how to set up their rig properly for a comp, and spent the money on quality electronics and upgrades that there's no reason they couldn't take it to a comp and probably do decently well with it assuming that they're a good driver.

Part of the problem is that RS10's are a relatively new rig on the block and people, other than mostly newcomers to the hobby, stay far away from them since they're such an inexpensive rig. In stock form, they're not that great at all, but people rarely leave any rig stock for very long and if you take time to tinker with them, a RS10 can be quite capable. I certainly don't expect to see someone take a RS10 to a comp and expect to hang with bullies, bergs and xr10's, but there's no reason someone couldn't take one and run it in a sportsman class or novice class if available. I would gladly consider mine worthy enough for me to take it to a comp. Would I win with it? Doubtful...but I would have fun.

Last edited by jsowens; 02-02-2011 at 08:42 PM.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The pricks at my LHS have $$crawlers and try to bash on my rs10, But they keep they're mouths shut now because I walk all over them. I got rovers out 6 ounces in the each front and 3's in the rear lowered and 4 linke it with a good servo. the main thing is I have been offroading in the 1:1 world for a long time and when I look at a line on a course I can almost always know where my tires will get traction and do work. Where in these other guys simply rely on the crawler to do work for them.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #12

its only a matter of time till one wins really more and more are being worked and comped...
FJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Hopefully this year my bro will get to compete with his mod RS10. Yes he has 2. I gave him my RS10. So far his mod RS10 has been doing excellent. The stock motors didn't last long. Holmes 454 are the way to go. So we shall see.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

OK.. so everyone is saying that they can't hang with this rig or that rig and that it needs mods and lots of cash.. BUT, no one is really saying "WHAT" needs to be changed?

We already know they need tires and servos and most have already done that. But what else?

I've lightened mine with a new frame, lowered COG, got new tires, different esc, lipo, new stronger servos , added weight to wheels and changed out to lighter shock oil.. By the way, on 3s, the motor are really pretty decent.

What else needs to be done other than tuning? What else do you guy think it's lacking?

Last edited by bpd964; 02-05-2011 at 07:34 AM.
bpd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
RCC Addict

well i always felt that the motors were the biggest weak spot, and then the clearence issues. they just dont have the power of the 540,s.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

On a light setup and running a 3s 850 25c lipo, these motors have no problem moving this rig.. If there wasn't so much snow everywhere, I'd post a video..

Old 02-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Also.. Practice.. Practice.. Practice..!!!

I've been running this rig every single day for at least an hour and I can climb over and through things that I thought was impossible when I first started.. Now it's getting easier and easier. The key is knowing the capabilities and limits of YOU and the RiG..
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

My RS-10 would eat Bergs, shit Bullies, and wipe its ass with XR-10s....LMAO, IF there where any around. I dont know that for sure but I refuse to believe that I would be "walked all over" or that it is "crap"
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Good attitude!

I am actually gonna take a ride up north to an indoor couse and put my money where my mouth is and put it to the test. I will make sure I have a video rolling. If I fail, then I'll go back and try again after a little more tuning or modding or whatever else needs to be done. I want to see for myself from actual experience. I can buy any crawler setup I want but I want to see what this will need to get it looking good.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHog View Post
My RS-10 would eat Bergs, shit Bullies, and wipe its ass with XR-10s....LMAO, IF there where any around. I dont know that for sure but I refuse to believe that I would be "walked all over" or that it is "crap"
That is hilarious!