Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New to the scene and have a question about rs10 vs rs10 XT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #1

Default New to the scene and have a question about rs10 vs rs10 XT

Hello everyone from chicago. New to the crawling scene but not to the rc scene. Anyways please read this before responding. Ive been doing alot of research lately and am leaning towards to the rs10 for my beginnings to the crawling scene. Anyways i have no plans other than tires and a new body and maybe battery and charger and thats it in regards to upgrades. Its not that i dont want to do other things but i plan on just enjoying the crawler for fun around my house and neighborhood. That and i have other hobbies that get money first usually (my lifted 75 k5 blazer for instance) so below is my question

Anyways after doing much shopping and browsing and reading is it worth it to get the rs10 XT or just go with the rs10? The avg difference in price on the net is about $20-25 on up so based on what you read above should i drop the extra money or save and go with the rs10? Thanks for the input i greatly appreciate it. Take care
sky56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Go with the RS 10XT. In the long run you'll save some $ from getting the RS 10 and doing the same upgrades.

Last edited by CrAsHmAsTeR; 02-05-2011 at 09:36 AM.
CrAsHmAsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I agree.....go with the RS-10 XT......it better and stuff
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

thanks guys thats what if figured but id rather have the opinions of seasoned crawlers vs anything. Ive seen him on this forum while searching and crawford engineering is offering the rs10 XT with the wing removal. Is the wing removal that great of a mod to do?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Jer
Rock Crawler

It removes the giant body smashing wings, and put the upper links at a better position for proper axle travel.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky56 View Post
thanks guys thats what if figured but id rather have the opinions of seasoned crawlers vs anything. Ive seen him on this forum while searching and crawford engineering is offering the rs10 XT with the wing removal. Is the wing removal that great of a mod to do?
It's not just us, ANY RS10-XT has the wings eliminated versus the original RS10. You'd easily spend the difference in price to make the same changes to move from a RS10 to RS10-XT.

I'd say that the RS10-XT's (through us anyway) outsell the RS10 easily 20:1. You're getting a lot of upgrades for the extra $15-20.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The RS10XT is your better option in my opinion..
bpd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

What is the charge time and run time for the standard battery pack that comes with the XT? And is there a different one out there that is awesome but doesn't break the bank for a pack and or charger?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm not sure if the XT uses a different charger than the regular RS10, but with the regular one you would have to charge your battery for several hours to get a half hour-ish of run time. Stick packs are usually easy to find and fairly cheap to acquire, but I highly recommend getting a decent charger. I paid around $20 for a losi micro peak charger and it works well and I can charge a couple of saddle pack batteries in a few hours. I wish I had spent the money initially on a charger that charges nimh, nicd, and lipo batteries, though. You can get them starting around $50.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #10

the rs10xt is the way to go. but there are some things u want to do to it right away. first, get new steering servos the ones on it are junk plastic geared. get some high torque metal geared srevos they run about $40 each. if u dont u will be sorry u didnt. i am saying that because i own a rs10xt and the first time i took it out and was crawlin some fist sized rocks in a pile and striped the gears in both servos and had to upgrade. second do get a good battery charger one yhat charges all types of batterys. they do run agout $50 but if u decide to get new batt. or go with a lipo pack ucan charge whatever u get. and full charge time is greatly reduced. full charge time for the stock charger is 5-6 hours for a upgrded charger 1-3 hour for a full charge, depending ont the charger u buy.
good luck and happy wheelin
gofastturnleft_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Definitely the RS10 XT. Then you'll want a nicer set of rubbers and foams. They make all the difference in the world. Just adjust it properly and it will crawl like crazy. I did break a drive/sheer pin in the front tranny though. A 2mm dia. drill bit ground to size worked well. These are nice crawlers for the dough.
strato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #12

Default modified redcat rs 10xt

i too have a rs 10 xt, all these other guys here are right, first off change the servos. i found some tower pro mg996r 10kg metal gear servos on hobbypartz.com for $11.70+tax each and have had no problems.as for the battery, i sugest going with a 5000mah nimh. any lipo charger will charge them, also put a deans or other high current plug on it.i am running proline hammers on the stock beadlocks with memory foam. i also wraped the rims with bodyworking sheet lead before final assembly. i also moved the upper shock mount to right behind the outer cross braces and the lower mounts all the way to the end of the hex on the lower link. in doing these mods, i found a much lower cg, much better grip onthe rocks, and a better all around crawler. a redcat can make it to comps. have faith in yourself and your rig. happy crawling.
high-dez420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #13

Default tires -

are you running stock tires or did you upgrade?

tires are my next purchase and I am looking at white dot rovers

Sno Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky56 View Post
Hello everyone from chicago. New to the crawling scene but not to the rc scene. Anyways please read this before responding. Ive been doing alot of research lately and am leaning towards to the rs10 for my beginnings to the crawling scene. Anyways i have no plans other than tires and a new body and maybe battery and charger and thats it in regards to upgrades. Its not that i dont want to do other things but i plan on just enjoying the crawler for fun around my house and neighborhood. That and i have other hobbies that get money first usually (my lifted 75 k5 blazer for instance) so below is my question

Anyways after doing much shopping and browsing and reading is it worth it to get the rs10 XT or just go with the rs10? The avg difference in price on the net is about $20-25 on up so based on what you read above should i drop the extra money or save and go with the rs10? Thanks for the input i greatly appreciate it. Take care
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno Dawg View Post
are you running stock tires or did you upgrade?

tires are my next purchase and I am looking at white dot rovers

Sno Dawg
Rovers are a great choice for a tire...I think you'll like them a lot. I love mine.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #15

Default white dot rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Rovers are a great choice for a tire...I think you'll like them a lot. I love mine.
Hey JSOWENS - what foams and weights are you running with them?

Where did you get the tires? I have seen them for a bunch of prices.

Thanks for the info,
Sno Dawg
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno Dawg View Post
Hey JSOWENS - what foams and weights are you running with them?

Where did you get the tires? I have seen them for a bunch of prices.

Thanks for the info,
Sno Dawg
I got mine here:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/ON-SALE-4...2-p-17154.html

I run stick on lead weights...I forget the exact amount, but somewhere around 6oz total in the front and 2oz or so in the rear. Something like that. For foams, I ran the stock rover foams for quite a while, but now I run Vanquish Products adjustable foam front/rear.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I also use the stick on weight on the wheels. My Rover whites with Nova 2" foams seem to just stick to the rocks.
strato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #18

Default Re: New to the scene and have a question about rs10 vs rs10 XT

Go with the rs 10 xt
bigrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New to the scene and have a question about rs10 vs rs10 XT

for $25 or so difference get 390 instead of 380 motors, the 2.4 ghz radio, a stick pack type battery and a better linkage instead of the bat wings... definitely worth it. ALthough I haven't seen many places or vendors on Ebay still selling the RS10, seems like everyone changed already to the XT.
2WheelFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote