Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's a good cheap metal geared servo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #1

Exclamation What's a good cheap metal geared servo?

So I got a set of metal gears for a hitec servo thinkin it would work in my stock lansu servo and it was a close match but didn't quite work. The gears were cheap so I just took a gamble. So my question is where can I find a good cheap metal geared servo that would work on my rockslide rs10xt? Will pretty much any servo work? My local hobby shop stopped carrying redcat products I bought there very last lansu metal servo and can't find any lansu ones online so any suggestions on a decent replacement that wont completely empty my wallet? Thanx for the help.
spanky84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I got a few of these and they are working great and have a ton more torque than the stockers!

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...62&item_id=117
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Check out the Tower Pro MG996R, you can find them on hobbyking or on ebay.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6221
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Although it is a little more expensive I have found out you cant go wrong with the Hitech 645MG. It is well worth the extra $$$
huffman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

We offer our 15kg servos as well: CPE Hi-Torque Metal Gear Servo
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have the ones from CPE and they work great. No problems at all and they will won't overload the internal BEC of your ESC. Nice for the money. Just my humble opinion.
strato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #7

I have 2 996r servos in my rs10 and they do the job. if you want more torque for the same price tho there is also a 946r offered by Tpro. i got mine from hobbypartz.com for a great deal.
bigman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Sorry to thread jack but had a quick question about the mayhem HD metal servo that zno sells. I bought this as a replacement for my front servo only as i'm locking out the rear stear on my RS10 XT, what my question is will I have to run a bec as i'm only running one servo?? Will this cause "glitches" as i've heard I hope this is only a real problem when you run the front and rear not just one?? Sorry again OP, I just didnt want to start a whole new thread, plus it may be good info for you as well

Last edited by AZ-RS10XT; 03-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.
AZ-RS10XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-RS10XT View Post
Sorry to thread jack but had a quick question about the mayhem HD metal servo that zno sells. I bought this as a replacement for my front servo only as i'm locking out the rear stear on my RS10 XT, what my question is will I have to run a bec as i'm only running one servo?? Will this cause "glitches" as i've heard I hope this is only a real problem when you run the front and rear not just one?? Sorry again OP, I just didnt want to start a whole new thread, plus it may be good info for you as well
I had to put a BEC in my rig and I run only one of the mayhem servos. I have the rear locked out, as well. I'm not sure that you'll have a problem with it, but I did. If it glitches, just pick up a BEC...it's a good part to have and practically mandatory in almost any crawler.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i ordered one of these to try out. for the $19 cant go wrong with 20kg servo i guess..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16272
cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

My http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...?products_id=2 's just showed up today in the mail. Great price, I'll be testing em in about 3 minutes.........
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The mayhem from rc4wd is a good servo for the price, and has a little waranty. It does draw more current though which is what makes the stock electronics glitchy. If you want more power than a mg995 than you'll need to upgrade to a bec ( or run a seperate battery for your servo). Once you upgrade your steering power you'll be pissed that you waited so long. It's like" huh, I want to go left and the dang thing just goes left. sweet" no more bumping throttle to wiggle your steering.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #13

Thumbs up Metal gear servo from my girls bro

Thanx for all the suggestions and help, my girlfriends brother bought 2 servos from CPE when he bought his crawler so today he let me borrow one since his plastic servos haven't gone out on him yet so I hooked it up on mine and it seems to be a good servo. Now I gotta buy him one to replace the one he gave me haha thanx again for the help
spanky84 is offline   Reply With Quote