Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RS10XT wheels speed test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RS10XT wheels speed test

Just a little test to show the wheel speed for the stock 7.2 nimh vs. 2s Lipo vs. 3s lipo on stock RS10XT cans..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0IdU8zngtE

Last edited by bpd964; 01-21-2011 at 11:21 AM.
bpd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Cool.....what was it on "tha big dawg" 3s ?
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHog View Post
Cool.....what was it on "tha big dawg" 3s ?
240 rpm on 7.2 nimh stick pack

240 rpm on 2s lipo

360 rpm on 3s lipo
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My bad....I thought I saw one more 3s at the beginning of the clip
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

nice work bpd964 i been thinking of a 3s lipo upgrade was that through the stock esc still? its the power change as big as that?
FJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ73 View Post
nice work bpd964 i been thinking of a 3s lipo upgrade was that through the stock esc still? its the power change as big as that?

Thanks..

I used a mamba max for the test. I only tried the stock esc on 2s. Didn't try it on 3s. I guess I could try and see if the stock esc can handle 3s since I'm not using it.

What the heck, I'll go try it now and let you know in a few..

OK, I spooled it up with a 3s 1300 mah lipo and a single 27T brushed motor and it's spinning at a pretty good rate so far for a couple minutes without getting hot.

I can't say for sure if this is a good idea or not or how long it will stand up to that amount of voltage but it's still spinning. I will let it run until my pack hit 3.2v per cell..

I'll let you know what happens at the end of the cycle.

Last edited by bpd964; 01-21-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd964 View Post
Thanks..

I used a mamba max for the test. I only tried the stock esc on 2s. Didn't try it on 3s. I guess I could try and see if the stock esc can handle 3s since I'm not using it.

What the heck, I'll go try it now and let you know in a few..

OK, I spooled it up with a 3s 1300 mah lipo and a single 27T brushed motor and it's spinning at a pretty good rate so far for a couple minutes without getting hot.

I can't say for sure if this is a good idea or not or how long it will stand up to that amount of voltage but it's still spinning. I will let it run until my pack hit 3.2v per cell..

I'll let you know what happens at the end of the cycle.
Thanks heaps i want to upgrade my esc to but i would like to run it for as long as i can first. Carnt wait to hear how it holds up.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

There are a handful of people who have ran the stock ESC with a 3s lipo with no problems. The thing you should be aware of is the ESC isn't rated to be able to handle that kind of voltage according to the specs of the ESC itself, so doing so is taking a risk. It's one of those things that you could run the setup for a year with no issues at all, or kill the ESC your first trip out. The voltage on a 2s is 7.4v, and 3s is 11.2v, so that's a fairly significant increase. I'm not trying to discourage you from the 3s lipo...by all means try it if you have one, just use a low voltage cutoff and keep an eye on your ESC.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Agreed!

The esc held up and even withstood the 12.6v of a fully charged lipo but again, the longevity of this situation is questionable..
Old 01-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

And once you put a load on it things may change. If it is just sitting there running in mid air for testing it might run fine. To really know is to go climb with it and see how hot the esc gets.
CrAsHmAsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #11

Well i have done the 3s upgrade on the stock esc and what a upgrade this has made the truck some much better. The fan on the esc didnt last more then a 30 seconds so i have taken it off and have now ran it for more then 3/4 of an hour and the esc is not even getting warm and i have flogged it. I would recomend the upgrade to anyone.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default look at AMPS not VOLTS

These results have NOTHING to so with 2s vs 3s and everything to do with the fact that your 3s is 40/50c. Run a high C, 2s or two 20c, 2s in parallel (using a Y harness), and you'll get the same results...and a much cooler ESC since it won't be working a high voltage resistor...which is what happens when you run anything over 7.4V.
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Pretty sure it was just a test to show us the difference in stock vs 2s vs 3s batteries.....nothing more and nothing less
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooktakesqueen View Post
These results have NOTHING to so with 2s vs 3s and everything to do with the fact that your 3s is 40/50c. Run a high C, 2s or two 20c, 2s in parallel (using a Y harness), and you'll get the same results...and a much cooler ESC since it won't be working a high voltage resistor...which is what happens when you run anything over 7.4V.
Where do you get the information to support this? A 3s battery even at 20c will turn those motors faster than 2 2s 30c batterys in paralell. There must be a reason people switch to 3s . I have a $6.00 900mah 20c 3s battery that will make my losi do wheelies and a 2800mah 30c lipo that will not even get it off the ground without rocking back and fourth.
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default High Voltage=HEAT

You have a bad cell in that battery or it's out of balance. It's in the fine print on all 1/10 scale esc that they're designed for a 7.4V or LESS (most esc put out around 7.2V to protect the motor) output but the better ones allow for a much higher amp output. AMPS are where your power comes from, not the voltage. I've said this before...ESC's are nothing but electronically controlled VOLTAGE RESISTORS...that's where the heat build up comes from...resistors get HOT when they're taxed by higher volts than they are designed to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
Where do you get the information to support this? A 3s battery even at 20c will turn those motors faster than 2 2s 30c batterys in paralell. There must be a reason people switch to 3s . I have a $6.00 900mah 20c 3s battery that will make my losi do wheelies and a 2800mah 30c lipo that will not even get it off the ground without rocking back and fourth.
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #16

Quote:
You have a bad cell in that battery or it's out of balance. It's in the fine print on all 1/10 scale esc that they're designed for a 7.4V or LESS (most esc put out around 7.2V to protect the motor) output but the better ones allow for a much higher amp output. AMPS are where your power comes from, not the voltage. I've said this before...ESC's are nothing but electronically controlled VOLTAGE RESISTORS...that's where the heat build up comes from...resistors get HOT when they're taxed by higher volts than they are designed to handle.

So then how come my stock esc with no cooling fan is not getting hot running 3s 30c lipo?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yeah so these guys are telling me its safe to run this 10th scale esc on 6s because its not and they wont warranty anything and since its 10 scale its only safe for 2s . http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_max_pro.html.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

You my friend sound like an idiot... So your telling me that NO ecs will run at 3s, 4s and put out the rated voltage? An esc is NOT a "voltage resistor"! if it were why would they came with an input voltage rating from the manufacture? So manufactures and actual people that run these high voltage packs have been lieing to us the whole time?? The C rating is a rating at which a lipo can discharge safely (diff in every setup). I've been an electrictian for a little over 15 years (i know ac and dc is diff but have the same principles) and your trying to tell me if i am to change out a 120v,15 amp breaker (the same principle as the "C" rating on a lipo) with a 120v,30 amp breaker my celing fan in my bedroom will spin twice as fast?? in electricity amprerage is taken...Not given! a device has to DRAW amperage to recieve it! The amperage rating on a DC battery is the MAX avalible...not what it "pushes". Same with an AC breaker, it has to be drawn through the breaker to recieve it!! and as for your heat "theory"... heat is not built up by resisting voltage...heat comes from resistance in a component! For instance....when a motor/motors are trying to draw more AMPERAGE then the Battery/ECS/WIRES/connectors and connections can SUPPLY!! In my eyes a higher voltage system would run cooler then a low voltage system.

Last edited by cumminsontherocks; 02-12-2011 at 08:46 AM.
cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Exactly what I was trying to say , thanks for taking care of that for me. I hate when people misinform on a regular basis and then are followed because they are just constantly talking and not because they are correct.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

heres a 4 page thread in the samrty pert of the forum that EVERYONE even john holmes calls this guy out and he keeps talking in circles calling the MANUFACTURES dummies! if i had read this frist i wouldnt have even fed the troll!!

4S setup
read it! it gets pretty funny on page 4!
cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote