Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Front servo going out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #1

Default Front servo going out?

While driving today my front servo started making a noise when I turn in either direction. It's like multiple small popping sounds and wont turn to full capacity on the ground. When I left it up its the same thing but once it reaches its full turn it will attempt to continue to turn with more pops. Is this typical signs of it going out, or is there some there an obstruction inside that I can remove. I blew air into it but same thing. If it's going out I was planning on upgrading anyways. Whats the best one to get and where to get it at? Thanks guys.
Coffinspire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

It's been said a million times before........stock servos are shit and yours sounds like it just joined the grave. I got a hitec 645 when mine went out, but I haven't been that impressed ith it. It's kind of weak for a crawler and recently it let the majc smoke out and is en route back to hitec for warranty work as I type. Meanwhile I bought one of these servos for each of my crawlers.https://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net...Tv14D6v8bLBw--The specs are miles better than a 645, but we shall see if they are true or not, seems like to good to be true for 12$. If they work good then the hitec will get demoted to dig duty on the ax10, by the way go ahead and call redcat and get a warranty unit headed your way because the servos work great for smaller jobs, such as I use a lansu for a dig servo on the axial and it does well.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
It's been said a million times before........stock servos are shit and yours sounds like it just joined the grave. I got a hitec 645 when mine went out, but I haven't been that impressed ith it. It's kind of weak for a crawler and recently it let the majc smoke out and is en route back to hitec for warranty work as I type. Meanwhile I bought one of these servos for each of my crawlers.https://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net...Tv14D6v8bLBw--The specs are miles better than a 645, but we shall see if they are true or not, seems like to good to be true for 12$. If they work good then the hitec will get demoted to dig duty on the ax10, by the way go ahead and call redcat and get a warranty unit headed your way because the servos work great for smaller jobs, such as I use a lansu for a dig servo on the axial and it does well.
bad link...
eggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

I've read about the stock servos being crappy, but not a description of "going out" since I'm a newb and haven't had one go out before, but now I know. I've heard about people running a rc4wd mayhem high torque servo. Does anyone know about those?

http://store.rc4wd.com/Mayhem-High-T...vo-_p_484.html

My question is about these specs listed on the website:

• Torque @ 6.0V: 220oz (16kg), Torque @ 4.8V: 206oz (15kg)
  • Speed @ 6.0V: .16 sec, Speed @ 4.8V: .18 sec
  • Weight: XX / XX oz
  • "J" type connector with approx. 5" wire
  • Standard size servo
I understand that you receive less torque at less voltage, but how do I know what voltage I will output from running my stock electronics? Also will this servo simply fit right in with my links and previous space the servo took up?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's a good servo, it will fit perfectly and the stock electronics are putting out 4.8 volts.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I've been running the RC4WD mayhem servo for quite a while now with great luck. The stock servos have plastic gears, and when the teeth on those things decide to strip out, you'll hear that clicking sound you're describing. The voltage your stock setup puts out, without a BEC, is 4.8v or around that area. So yep, lower the volts, less torque. The servo will fit just fine on the stock servo mount and should work well with the stock links. If you really wanna stiffen up your steering a bit, it's also a good thing to pick up an aluminum servo horn for whatever servo you decide to get.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggie View Post
bad link...
oops, try this'n http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I've been running the RC4WD mayhem servo for quite a while now with great luck. The stock servos have plastic gears, and when the teeth on those things decide to strip out, you'll hear that clicking sound you're describing. The voltage your stock setup puts out, without a BEC, is 4.8v or around that area. So yep, lower the volts, less torque. The servo will fit just fine on the stock servo mount and should work well with the stock links. If you really wanna stiffen up your steering a bit, it's also a good thing to pick up an aluminum servo horn for whatever servo you decide to get.
Thanks again for the help, your essentially the rs10 bad ass. Is it necessary to run a BEC on crawlers, do you use one? Will it also be a good idea to change the steering links, or is stock fine until they brake or feel like upgrading.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
RCC Addict

A BEC isn't a bad thing...it will supply more power to your servo, resulting in more torque. I have one of the RC4WD BEC's and like it, but the one from Castle Creations is a bit better since the voltage can be adjusted. The stock steering links will be fine for now. If you replace them in the future, I suggest making your own.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #10

I have the mayhem servo and love it I also got the robotronics alum servo horn which seems to be really stout! Very happy with the mayhem, i would recomend it as a great replacement to the stock ones. ** also i dont have any upgraded BEC and it works fine with one servo as i locked out the rear stear **
AZ-RS10XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Maybe took the teeth off your gears or servo horn. When you buy a new one buy the nicest one you can aford,I have 7 burned out servos in a box to remind me of that lesson learnt
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabandit1 View Post
Maybe took the teeth off your gears or servo horn. When you buy a new one buy the nicest one you can aford,I have 7 burned out servos in a box to remind me of that lesson learnt
Based off of your 7 failed servos, which ones or price range should I avoid?

Also, to the others discussing BEC's. Would a BEC also allow you to run a 3s lipo or a higher voltage 2s and not worry about burning up the ESC?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinspire15 View Post
Based off of your 7 failed servos, which ones or price range should I avoid?

Also, to the others discussing BEC's. Would a BEC also allow you to run a 3s lipo or a higher voltage 2s and not worry about burning up the ESC?
A BEC basically routes more power to your servo(s) directly instead of going through the ESC first, resulting in more power and torque from the servo itself. It doesn't give you the ability to run a 3s over a 2s battery...and a 2s isn't a higher voltage. All 2s batteries have the same voltage, the higher "mah" number is basically how much runtime or the capacity of the battery.