Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axial wheel hubs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default axial wheel hubs

Does anyone know if these fit redcat axles? Are the dogbones compatible? I was hoping to run axial alloy steering knuckles as well. can I use the redcat ball bearings? or are the axial ball bearings a different size on the hubs?

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...84&p_catid=124
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
RCC Addict

all the parts you mentioned will work, i used them on mine with no problems
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Not sure.

I tried to run some XR-10 wheel on stock hubs and they rubbed Uber bad with rovers.

Justin
WILDMAN442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Running HR axial steering knuckles on mine and the stock bearings from the plastic RS10 knuckles fit fine.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I'll order some of these guys up. Needed to replace a hub anyways. the cup is worn, causing that dogbone to spit out. a fresh one otta fix it.

We gotta work on some proper CV's for these things. wish I knew how to weld things that small.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

For fine welding see this pdf: http://www.oxyturbo.it/pdf/EN_welding.pdf. This is for an Italian range of oxy-hydrocarbon gas welding sets. See the pages on the Turboset 90-110. I have the 110 set and it offers microjets for really fine work as small as jewellery (UK spelling). These are really just trimmed hypodermic needles but they do work. Obviously an existing skill at gas welding is a prerequisite but it is a cheap and effective way of doing close to oxy-acetylene welding at much less cost and hazard than acetylene kits. Don't know if it would be available to you in Canada but hope you will find the info of interest. Got my set through eBay.co.uk but can't see similar on eBay.com for you.
rockonpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #7

Installed some axial aluminum c hubs and high steer knuckles. They turn very easy not on the axle. When i secure them to the axle they become very tight and make a grinding sound in the ring and pinion gear. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Installed some axial aluminum c hubs and high steer knuckles. They turn very easy not on the axle. When i secure them to the axle they become very tight and make a grinding sound in the ring and pinion gear. Does anyone have any experience with this?
So how did you go about installing the aluminum C-hubs out of curiosity? The RS10 axle housings have the C's molded into them so did you cut those off or what?

But onto your question...take a very close look at everything you changed. Do the wheels contact the knuckles at all? Try removing your wheels and see if you still get the noise. Also look at the screws you attaches the steering knuckles with. Are they long enough to where they actually touch the cup where the dogbone sits?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I noticed my 12mm hexes would cause grinding if they were too tight up against the steering knuckles. I had to just space them out a mm or so.
It's worth checking.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
So how did you go about installing the aluminum C-hubs out of curiosity? The RS10 axle housings have the C's molded into them so did you cut those off or what?

But onto your question...take a very close look at everything you changed. Do the wheels contact the knuckles at all? Try removing your wheels and see if you still get the noise. Also look at the screws you attaches the steering knuckles with. Are they long enough to where they actually touch the cup where the dogbone sits?
I have a Axial. I just figured I would ask the question since the post name was axial wheel hubs.
Grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
I have a Axial. I just figured I would ask the question since the post name was axial wheel hubs.
Ah, I see. You might wanna post up in the axial specific section...you might get more help since a lot of guys in here don't run axial rigs.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

So I got the integy steering knuckles, and the integy 15mm extended hubs. I installed them using the rs10 bearings, and there seems to be a lot of play between the hubs and the bearings. Do I need to change to axial bearings?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
So I got the integy steering knuckles, and the integy 15mm extended hubs. I installed them using the rs10 bearings, and there seems to be a lot of play between the hubs and the bearings. Do I need to change to axial bearings?
Is there enough room for a small washer? On mine, I had some play and just slid a small/thin washer between the hub and bearing and it fixed it.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Is there enough room for a small washer? On mine, I had some play and just slid a small/thin washer between the hub and bearing and it fixed it.
Yeah I think I see that now. either that or drill out the extension to fit farther on the hub. Not much consistency between each extension eh? A mm or so difference on each one.