Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: thuink i let the magic smoke out...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default thuink i let the magic smoke out...

this morning while i was waiting on a customer i decided to relocate my electronics to the axles, that went well, but i had to lengthen some wires and my 7.2 was dead, so i used a 9.6 to test with....yeah, well it appears i smoked the speed controller. does nothing, the fan runs is all and heats up really fast even on the 7.2. if would seem i do not have access to the classifieds yet, all i see is the feedback. anyone got a stock unit for a rs10 xt they want to let go of? and no, DON'T USE 9.6 VOLT PACKS lol, should have known better.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

lol well im glad i seen this i always swap between 7.2 and 9.6 packs with my rock force because my esc can handle 7.2-16.8 volts(novak super duty xr) and my friend has a rs10 and is always tempted to use my 9.6 packs when his are dead..also id say look for a better esc then the stock problem descent used ones on e bay for like 10-20+shipping
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I know very little about radio setups, like i just figured out the a DIG is the hand held lol. is there a after market i can use with my stock dig and still have my 4 wheel steering? what am i looking for?

ack! see i still don't know what i am talking about.....so i could use about any sped controller i wanted huh???? do i have to be mindful of the out put to the radio? or is that standard

Last edited by Docwolf; 07-13-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
I know very little about radio setups, like i just figured out the a DIG is the hand held lol. is there a after market i can use with my stock dig and still have my 4 wheel steering? what am i looking for?

ack! see i still don't know what i am talking about.....so i could use about any sped controller i wanted huh???? do i have to be mindful of the out put to the radio? or is that standard
I think you may be a little confused as to what a dig actually is. There is no "stock dig" on a RS10. If you're referring to your radio setup as a Dig (the radio is NOT a dig, just fyi), then yes there are radio systems that allow use of 4 wheel steering. Take a look at the flysky fs-gt3b, which is around $35 shipped and 2.4ghz, which is nice...and a guy on the forum named losikid figured out a way to hack that radio to add the functionality of rear steer, among other things. Best bang for the buck radio out there, in my opinion.

For speed controls...you technically could use anything you want, but honestly...save yourself a headache and get something decent and crawler specific. I wouldn't bother buying another stock ESC...they're quite crappy. I picked up a virtually brand new axial ae-2 ESC from the classifieds on this forum for $40 shipped...it's a good middle ground between the stock ESC and a nicer unit and can be programmed by a castle link.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I think you may be a little confused as to what a dig actually is. There is no "stock dig" on a RS10. If you're referring to your radio setup as a Dig (the radio is NOT a dig, just fyi), then yes there are radio systems that allow use of 4 wheel steering. Take a look at the flysky fs-gt3b, which is around $35 shipped and 2.4ghz, which is nice...and a guy on the forum named losikid figured out a way to hack that radio to add the functionality of rear steer, among other things. Best bang for the buck radio out there, in my opinion.

For speed controls...you technically could use anything you want, but honestly...save yourself a headache and get something decent and crawler specific. I wouldn't bother buying another stock ESC...they're quite crappy. I picked up a virtually brand new axial ae-2 ESC from the classifieds on this forum for $40 shipped...it's a good middle ground between the stock ESC and a nicer unit and can be programmed by a castle link.

yeah i have been doing some research and know a little more then i did this morning, not much mind you. The radio, as far as i know is fine, i think the controller too the blunt of the surge, I still don't have access to the classifieds, at least not last time I check. i found a OEM unit on ebay for 37 bucks so i bought it. I will look at a full upgrade down the road, was not planning of doing after the first week LOL
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
this morning while i was waiting on a customer i decided to relocate my electronics to the axles, that went well, but i had to lengthen some wires and my 7.2 was dead, so i used a 9.6 to test with....yeah, well it appears i smoked the speed controller. does nothing, the fan runs is all and heats up really fast even on the 7.2. if would seem i do not have access to the classifieds yet, all i see is the feedback. anyone got a stock unit for a rs10 xt they want to let go of? and no, DON'T USE 9.6 VOLT PACKS lol, should have known better.

thats odd. I've swapped in my 9.6v nicads and nimhs several times with no issues. In fact they seem to run VERY similar spd and pwr as my 2s lipo. Guys run 3s lipo (11.1v) all the time, though they aren't rated for it. A 9.6v pack usually runs as high as 12v on a fresh charge. I'd still give your wiring a good look over befor pluggin in a new esc
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

you might want to check the wiring too, i used 3s for along time usually finishing 2 1.6mAH of 3s batteries every time i go bashing. it took a few packs before the fan gave up. and alot more packs before it went crazy. still works though but starts with full speed and slows down when the throttle is pulled
bahogtubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
RCC Addict

well, i will look it over, is there a way to test the controller separate of the radio?? i thought it was odd too. i was jsut doing bench testing and had done my final test before i put the body back on and normally i shut the truck off before the hand held, but this time i killed the hand held first. i noticed the servos jump a little and the light on the controller flashed and went dead. but then the whole truck was dead, not even any interference twitching from the servos. when I plugged the 7.2 in, the fan came on, slow first and then sped up and when i touched the heat sink after being powered on for maybe 20 seconds, it was really hot. i was going to try and warranty, but then it dawned on me, they will prolly reject it when they see i cut the wires going to the radio and extended them. my new OEM unit is on the way, but i will do some wire checking in the mean time, won;t be today though, got to go work.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You should read through the manual and try reprograming the esc. Also make sure the adjustments on the radio are correct. By adjustments, I am referring to epa/trim.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_pimp View Post
You should read through the manual and try reprograming the esc. Also make sure the adjustments on the radio are correct. By adjustments, I am referring to epa/trim.

I don;t really think that is the issue as there does not appear to any power going to the radio.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
RCC Addict

so....i thought about what i said in my last post, got a multi meter and well...yeah. one of my solder points had already rubbed through, fix that and guess what, all is fine. on the bright side, i will have a spare speed controller on hand and will continue to run the 9.6 packs LOL