Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat (LanSu) 4ws 2.4 GHz radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Default Redcat (LanSu) 4ws 2.4 GHz radio

I noticed that the new 1/24 Sumo crawler has a 2.4GHz radio and has 4ws. I then noticed that you can buy the 2.4GHz tx/rx as a replacement part and it says its compatible with the RS10.

http://www.redcatracing.com/3CH-24GHZ-RADIO

Has anyone tried to replace their stock 27MHz with the new 2.4GHz? Does the 4ws work the same as the RS10?
turbojeep275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

very interesting , very interesting indeed. but for 80 bucks, i am not ready to try thing lol
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

They function identically to the stock FM radio, just with the 2.4ghz technology. We offer them considerably less than $80...
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
They function identically to the stock FM radio, just with the 2.4ghz technology. We offer them considerably less than $80...
Go on..........

$?
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm wondering if the quality of the thing is any better than the stock one. I would hope it's better if they want folks to spend more than a few bucks on it. I would still suggest actually getting a nice radio if you're spending the money.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I'm wondering if the quality of the thing is any better than the stock one. I would hope it's better if they want folks to spend more than a few bucks on it. I would still suggest actually getting a nice radio if you're spending the money.

Are there any "nice radios" that can keep the same 4WS functionality?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep275 View Post
The "same functionality" probably not. There are, however, plenty of radios that offer 4ws functionality, it just might be a little different than the redcat units and a lot of it depends on what you wanna spend. The flysky radio is awesome and can be modded to use 4ws and is, in my opinion, one of the best value radios out there. If that redcat 2.4ghz radio is cheap enough, that would probably be a decent option, but there's no way I would pay more than $50 for it, especially if it's the same quality as the stock one.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #8

Well I figured for the price CPE is offering them its worth a try. I will post up on how it works once I get it.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
RCC Addict

that is a much better price

http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...roducts_id=279
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep275 View Post
The Spektrum dx3c has built in mixing for 4ws, crab, and all that for 120 bucks and comes with a rx. plus 20 model memory, and a 3 way 3rd channel. I picked one up a few weeks back, its a nice little radio.
AngryTradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #11

Ok so I got the new transmitter/receiver installed and it works. Everything functions the same but with no glitching or interference and a much longer range (which will never get used on a crawler).

Here are a few general notes:
  • It does not come with ANY instructions.
  • It only take 4AA batteries.
  • You will need to bind the transmitter to the receiver:
    • 1. Press and hold the receiver’s bind button as you switch the receiver on.
      The led on the receiver will flash fast.
    • 2. Press and hold the transmitter’s SET button as you switch transmitter on.
    • 3. It should now be bound, check functionality.
  • If I turn the transmitter off before I turn off the receiver the car goes full throttle in reverse and turns all the wheels to full lock.
If anyone has any other question let me know.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #12

Default Re: Redcat (LanSu) 4ws 2.4 GHz radio

Hi,

in which Code Type does it work: PPM/GFSK - FHSS or .................?

Thanks al lot!

Greets

Ludwig
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
The "same functionality" probably not. There are, however, plenty of radios that offer 4ws functionality, it just might be a little different than the redcat units and a lot of it depends on what you wanna spend. The flysky radio is awesome and can be modded to use 4ws and is, in my opinion, one of the best value radios out there. If that redcat 2.4ghz radio is cheap enough, that would probably be a decent option, but there's no way I would pay more than $50 for it, especially if it's the same quality as the stock one.
x2!!! I bought 2 of the Gt3bs (a lot to do with seeing JS talk about them so much), 1 for my daughters' Redact and 1 for my Bully. They work a little differently than the stock Lansu ones though., because they actually work more than 10 feet away!! I can run mine 20 houses down the street no problem. Try that with the stock FM Lansu!!!

As for the 4ws... way better. You still get crab (don't know why you'd want it though) and 4ws. Here's the payoff.... I can set the rear steering to only turn x % of the front to help the steering. I DO NOT HAVE TO TURN THE SAME AMOUNT as the fronts do. This means that the rear will not walk out of line when you are trying to set up your approach for 3 obstacles down the trail. I can not give any more props for these radios. Just my 2 cents. Thanks JS!
Sydwall85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwall85 View Post
x2!!! I bought 2 of the Gt3bs (a lot to do with seeing JS talk about them so much), 1 for my daughters' Redact and 1 for my Bully. They work a little differently than the stock Lansu ones though., because they actually work more than 10 feet away!! I can run mine 20 houses down the street no problem. Try that with the stock FM Lansu!!!

As for the 4ws... way better. You still get crab (don't know why you'd want it though) and 4ws. Here's the payoff.... I can set the rear steering to only turn x % of the front to help the steering. I DO NOT HAVE TO TURN THE SAME AMOUNT as the fronts do. This means that the rear will not walk out of line when you are trying to set up your approach for 3 obstacles down the trail. I can not give any more props for these radios. Just my 2 cents. Thanks JS!
How did you get 4ws to work on the gt3b i thought the 3rd channel was just on/off. I locked my rear out when i got my gt3b because i couldnt figure it out and i havent been able to get a DIG to work either so my steering is pretty limited
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The 3rd channel button is crab/no crab. The steering trim buttons (arrows?) on top are the toggles between all of the modes. Could be made to have the 3rd trims as the rear control with momentary or proportional as well. I forget how I set it up, and I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon. If I get a chance I will look it up and chime in.

EDIT, just found it:

> choose menu EPOINT and press ENTER-long
> menu EPOINT will blink
> select one of mixes 4WS (4), DIG (d), brake cut-off (b),
multi-position (P)
for mixes 4WS, DIG:
> press ENTER and choose channel for this mix or OFF
- for dual-ESC steering (boat, tank, ...) select DIG channel 1 and
with D/R reduce required ESC travel (at 100% it will go to contra
to allow steering at place)
> press ENTER and set mix in range -100...0...100 %
0% is default and means both channel have same max steering/throttle
100% means 100% reduce on rear steering/throttle (eg. no steering)
-100% means 100% reduce on front steering/throttle (eg. no steering)
> for 4WS press ENTER and select crab (CRB) or no-crab (NOC)
for Multi-Position:
> press ENTER and choose channel for this function or OFF
> press ENTER and set channel value for first position
> press ENTER and set channel value for second position or END
> ... up to eight position
Its also in the hack thread, search 4ws hacked in electronics forum.
Sydwall85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
sgl
Rock Stacker

Hello,
Just reading your thread and see you are using the GT3b Tx, I couldn't tell if you were able to bind it to the Redcat Rx ? or are you using the Flysky unit?
Secondly if you were able to bind with the Redcat Rx which was it the 24734 ( comes in 2 versions 1.1 & 2.2 ) and is a combined Rx and ESC and uses a button to bind it comes with the 1/24 micro crawler? Or with the 28464 (tornado, aftershock etc. looks simular to the flysky with a bind plug)?
Thank you
SGL
sgl is offline   Reply With Quote