Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First time RS10 owner, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

Default First time RS10 owner, need advice

I got an RS10 in a trade and see a few issues. Apparently it has a 540 motor mod on it and non-stock rims and tires (Panthers mounted on a beadlock rim). (I'll post pictures tonight) I've searched and can't find answers so I apologize in advanced for my lacking search-fu. Issue 1: Tires rub against the steering knuckles. Are there different offset rims in crawling? There isn't a lot of room to shim out the rims due to the length of the axle vs. thickness of lock nut but I'm going to try that first. Issue 2: The lower link doesn't clear the motor (540 Novak 55turns), it binds up. I fixed this by repositioning the shock mount location on the link (the shock is mounted at the end of the link), and bumping the link to the outside of the mounting location on the axle. but this ties into issue 3. I'm wondering if theres a better solution. Issue 3: With the lower link mounting position moved out a little, the tires rub against the links at full steer. It's not so bad that I can't "ignore" it, but I'm anal about that kind of thing so it will ALWAYS bug me!! Issue 4: Where do you usually mount your battery and how. I believe it's a stock chassis. I'm assuming the battery goes on the lower plate and the electronics go on top. Thanks ahead of time. This is my second "real" crawler (I owned an exceed Mad Gear which after changing the shocks to associated sc10 shocks, upgrading the drive axles and putting in a brushless system and 12.5oz of weights per axle (6.5 on the axle 3oz in each tire) was a very capable crawler). I'm not sure if I like the MOA style vs. driveline style better but I want to make this one work and settle on it.
scottgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #2

Default Re: First time RS10 owner, need advice

Well I've solved most of these issues.

1. fixed 75% - I put a thin washer between the 12mm hex and the rim and that bumped it out a little as well as repositioning the links back to stock position. Tires still rub against the link a tiny bit, but the truck is usable. The rims don't rub at least.

2. fixed 100% - On the front, I installed used fuel tubing on the inside of the shock to limit shock length and slid them up. The rear, I bumped the links to mount on the outer part of the stock mounting spot. There's no more binding.

3. see previous posts

4. I bought a short lipo. Solved the problem. I like to use high mah batteries for run time, but I'm going to use an 1800 for now and see how it goes.
scottgir is offline   Reply With Quote