Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Starting with a new truck or building from scratch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Starting with a new truck or building from scratch?

I just want to share what I just learned. It may make this choice easier for some.

The only parts on my truck that are stock are one side of the case, and the axle tube tops at this point. I was kicking myself in the butt for not just piecing this thing together. Thinking, that I could've saved myself the initial $137 price tag of the RS10 XT.

Well, I just sold all of the stock parts on eBay. I ended up getting $151.43 and the stock radio hasn't even ended ended yet. As you can see, I actually did better by buying the whole truck, using just a few parts, and selling the rest.

Now, I didn't plan on redoing EVERYTHING. It just kinda snowballed, as these things often do.

Just food for thought of anyone is considering a complete redo...
BackToThePast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Starting with a new truck or building from scratch?

Wow you did really good nice job!
Redcat1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

i look at it like this, the last step in my build will be swapping out the MOAs for shafties, when i do that, i will be left with a RS10XT in a pile. or, rather, a crawler for my kid lol. this is a starter rig, some guys go full comp with them, but they where never intended to do that and even then you have a mostly after market rig. i can;t imagine why anyone would want all teh stock take offs, but to each their own.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
i look at it like this, the last step in my build will be swapping out the MOAs for shafties, when i do that, i will be left with a RS10XT in a pile. or, rather, a crawler for my kid lol. this is a starter rig, some guys go full comp with them, but they where never intended to do that and even then you have a mostly after market rig. i can;t imagine why anyone would want all teh stock take offs, but to each their own.
That's what I thought. I put everything up with a $5 starting bid. I was surprised what some of the stuff sold for. The tires and wheel: $32. Esc: $30. Motors: $21. Etc...

I did make sure hat I put "rock crawler" and "Clodbuster" in the descriptions. Clodbuster, only where it would apply. They are dual motor and have 12mm wheel hexes after all. That way you're not only appealing to people who most likely have the same pile of parts that you do.

I'm not planning on doing any comps with this. I just got a little carried away!
BackToThePast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I too learned the hard way that it's more fulfilling and rewarding to build a rig from scratch when I built my scaler. It takes way longer, especially if you take the time to shop for good deals here on the classifieds, but in the end you get a much nicer rig and the satisfaction of a custom build. Most of the time this can be a little more expensive, but not by much.

A while back I picked up a spare set of RS10 axles to have for spare parts from a member here on the forum and ultimately ended up piecing together a rig for my little cousin out of the old parts I had upgraded.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

You did a great job making your money back! Props.
If i were starting over i would start from sctach, just to avoid the extra money spent.
i will just hold onto these parts untill i make them useful
FullScaleDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I've lost money, but I'm using the ESC, TX/RX and servo's for other things.
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Starting with a new truck or building from scratch? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting from scratch ? Bananaclip General Scale Talk 6 11-13-2010 04:09 PM
starting a build from scratch fstrnu Newbie General 2 11-27-2009 10:28 AM
Starting From Scratch (ARTR Kit) Build DrewGzy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 10-10-2008 10:13 AM
Starting from absolute scratch... 79DUG Tamiya Clod Buster 3 11-21-2004 12:02 AM