Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: BRAINSTORM; Moving Those Motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #21

Default Re: BRAINSTORM; Moving Those Motors

the XR10 is far from perfect so we'd be doing the same to that too lol. + modding these are 1/2 the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYrs10 View Post
i haven't posted anything in this thread for awhile, been spendin alot of time on scaletrailrunners.com-most of the guys on there are local to me! but here's my 2cents! don't take this wrong because me and my son both have rs10's and love them, but, if you add the cost of a new rs10 + zno big block kit + your time moddin the axles = you could afford a axial XR10! and there axles are made the way yall are tryin to make rs10 axles! just seems like alot of work and money for something that already exist.
Wi_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYrs10 View Post
i haven't posted anything in this thread for awhile, been spendin alot of time on scaletrailrunners.com-most of the guys on there are local to me! but here's my 2cents! don't take this wrong because me and my son both have rs10's and love them, but, if you add the cost of a new rs10 + zno big block kit + your time moddin the axles = you could afford a axial XR10! and there axles are made the way yall are tryin to make rs10 axles! just seems like alot of work and money for something that already exist.
All the places I've spent big money on my RS are the same places I would have spent money on the XR. In fact I think I've still spent less, and had a lot of fun learning to tune, drive, and fabricate my own stuff. I run mostly stock parts still. they've all just been moddified in some wayto work better. I might build an XR one day, but not until I build the best damn RS ever made. I do get what your saying though. Thats not the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
so.....what does that mean???
The Jury is still out on whether a brushless motor is better than a brushed motor in Rockcrawling. They are bred for speed. I would test it out, but it's a bit expensive for trial-and-error in my books. If YOU want to fork out the $$, by all means. and document it well for the rest of us.
here's that build thread; http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...hless-mod.html
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

How about a change in motors?

Take a look at this:

They use these motors:

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : A28L brushless Outrunner 920kv

Yes, they are brushless and they use some cheap double esc.

It can crawl without any problem:

Nuevo XRS 10 (1).mpg - YouTube

I might try this when I rebuild my rs10...
The main problem with this car, for me, is the lack of cvd's for some good stearing...
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkill View Post

Take a look at this:

They use these motors:

BINGO!!! Now we are getting somewhere! Thanks for the input XKILL. That looks like a great option.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

that looks like a nice clean install. i think i might go that way, when the time comes.
screwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

i had a look through hobby king site and theres no 48pitch 3mm shaft pinions listed. are the 48p pinions hard to find or something?
screwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

so that tiny motor would output the same torque as z decent 540?

edit: 50 bucks shipped and i could do dual esc brushless in a VERY fitable package.

Last edited by JKMotorsports; 02-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I got looking into this myself. What if we took the axle tubes and cut them up to use only the part that mates to the center section and then make a piece of aluminum tube glued and riveted to the plastic. Then you could cut them to a custom offset and then use aftermarket Axial c's and hubs?

I'd trh it if I had a spare set of axles.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #29
RCC Addict

just my other 2cents, yall ever heard the phrase-pissin in the wind? you're wasting your time. no one would buy it even it worked! these are $150 crawlers, i could only imagine what it would cost if it did work? the only mod i feel that needs to have this much thought put in it for the rs10 would be some CVD's! just my opinion, but i've been called an A-hole before.
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
RCC Addict

I admit, I'm curious about what kind of mods you guys ultimately come up with to fix this problem. Realistically, I think it's just going to be DIY mods and never anything mass produced, though. The top half of the gearbox is removable...so in theory it's possible to make an aftermarket offset gearbox top half, which would likely require the gears to be reconfigured or remade for this gearbox, but it's not outlandish. The issue with this is the cost of the parts. On the XR10, the VP aluminum gearboxes are $40 per axle, so right there is over half of what the RS10 cost to begin with. The RS10 has a pretty small following overall, so the likelihood of a part like this coming into existence is very slim.

Hacking up an extra axle housing or adding axle tubes to this isn't a bad idea and would probably work if done well, but for the average RS10 buyer who expects to simply buy things and bolt them on, it's not gonna be possible.

Turning the RS10 into a set of shafty axles isn't the best solution either. For one, there would be little market for such a part, secondly the cost wouldn't be cheap, and thirdly a set of shafty axles are dirt cheap these days so why wouldn't you just buy a set of those instead of the necessary part (if it existed) to turn a RS10 into a shafty? Not to mention turning them into a shafty would require you to buy a transmission, chassis, and driveshafts. If you bought all that, you could just buy a nice, used ax10 to begin with.

Those of you guys who plan on trying to come up with a mod to shift the gearbox over...good luck to you. Hopefully you'll come up with something awesome. For everyone else who wants more power, I suggest finding a motor that works for you (a shorter can 540, 380, brushless, whatever), try 3s lipos or hell, buy an ESC that can handle 4s lipos, and tinker with your shock and link setups so that they clear bigger motors. The big question you need to ask yourself is what do you need more...bent links or bigger motors? I know the bent links tend to not work well with 540's. Another option is to try shocks that have mini-t springs installed on them so that gives you an extra millimeter or 2 of clearance. Cross your fingers that the folks who make aftermarket RS10 parts make things we can use and not piss off our wives, girlfriends, and/or bank accounts by buying them, such as CVD's.

Last edited by jsowens; 02-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

4s lipo. hmmmmm . I do believe my escs are rated at 14+ volts!

BUT I would destroy all other drivetrain parts!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Default Re: how long are your motors?

Holmes Hobbies 540 TorqueMaster Sport is 52mm or 2, 1/16 inches from mounting face to endbell bearing.

I'm thinking about trying these without the "Big Boy plate". I would gain 7mm. Barely over a 1/4 inch from my current setup. But it would sure tuck the wires out of the way!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
so that tiny motor would output the same torque as z decent 540?
more torque than every 540 brushed!

For the right smooth it is important to choose an outrunner with 12 stator arms and 14 poles. The cheap Turnigy or Ezrun ESC's are better than more expensive sensoreless ESC's.

Last edited by Toy Master; 03-01-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Toy Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Holmes Hobbies 540 TorqueMaster Sport is 52mm or 2, 1/16 inches from mounting face to endbell bearing.

I'm thinking about trying these without the "Big Boy plate". I would gain 7mm.
You gonna use the internal washer method, to increase the strength of the shaved housing?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I think I burned up an esc so I'm going to try the brushless route if I did.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
You gonna use the internal washer method, to increase the strength of the shaved housing?
I'm still thinking of butchering my stock housings, trying to move the entire mounting plate over a bit farther. I don't want to cut until I have a good plan. It would be a shame to take the ZNO plate off my big-boys, when I could sell em cheap to you guys.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

for realz!!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkill View Post

Take a look at this:

They use these motors:

I might try this when I rebuild my rs10...
The main problem with this car, for me, is the lack of cvd's for some good stearing...
This seems like the best most practical solution. 30mm can instead of 50+ is a huge difference. Bingo! Is right.
shaggy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Talking Re: BRAINSTORM; Moving Those Motors

I got the FIRST experimental 540 gearcase cut and done!! I moved the mounting plate over 5mm.

My HH torque masters will sit 3mm tighter than the stock 390's did!!!!!!!!
Thats 12mm, or 1/2inch saved from my current setup. And I think they will be plenty strong. I'll get pictures up tomorrow, probably after I get a motor mounted on them.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

That's what I thought. I went with motors 36mm long. I also for fun bought some 3850kv's. I know the torque will be crap but for the few seconds to swap them in I thought it would be fun to have motors that are 4x faster then the ones I selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2112 View Post
This seems like the best most practical solution. 30mm can instead of 50+ is a huge difference. Bingo! Is right.

BRAINSTORM; Moving Those Motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More power and faster moving forward than moving backwards? StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-07-2012 09:11 PM
1.9 tow rig brainstorm session. JohnRobHolmes 1.9 Scale Rigs 26 11-26-2008 09:31 AM
brainstorm for simple 2 channel radio dig setup TJeeperMan Electronics 10 10-20-2005 08:59 PM