Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: father's day gift for my dad.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default father's day gift for my dad.

While i was looking for replacement axle for my rig, i found a deal i could not pass up. 100 bucks, modded qt3, needs servos.

Thought i would try my hand at some lexan modding, i think it looks decent. More to do, thinking of ditching the doors completely

Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: father's day gift for my dad.

you can make some sweet panels from aluminum flashing or cans.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I kinda like where this body is going, we will see, and really in the end it will be his to do with as he pleases. though i bet i end up doing the maintenance and repairs just like with his computers LOL.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Talking Re: father's day gift for my dad.

man that looks great. cutting the doors to fit the lines on chassis would look nice.
donny8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I need to grab some pics tonight, but I have all the chassis mods done. I got it put together Saturday morning and took it for a test run and WOW. I kinda want to keep this for myself, this thing crawls like crazy. need to tear it back down and find some place to get it bead blasted, I think I will hit up the auto body shop in town. I need to figure out a good way to mount the battery and electronics too, you will see the issue when I post pics tonight. the Losi rock claws it came with are impressive, I didn't figure those would work well at all, but they surprised me. I am running them with no foam and sealed the rims, one tire is still losing air though, I think I will mod the foams I have to put them back in rather than try and chase a air leak. I was going to run my spare MG946 on the front the old parallax that just took off my rig on the back, however when i opened the MG946 back, the tabs where broke off the housing. rather then trying to screw around with a warranty form some obscure company in china, I found a state side supplier and order three more. I was able to use the top off the parallax sever, with modification, to get me up and running, but it is twitchy and doesn't like to respond half the time. I was only running front steer and this thing was doing great, should be a hell of a starter rig for the old man.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I forgot to get pics and now it is sent off to my dad, I will be sure to get some at out next get together. but seriously.............OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I has to build me a tuber now. I took this out to the local crawl spot last night to do a shake down and ended abusing this thing as much as i could....WHAT A BLAST!!!!!! 7.2 volt packs are plenty of power for this, the Rock claws did good. The area is all stand stone and we have gotten some good rains the last few days so the rocks where really soft. Even so, there where only a few places it struggled. looks pretty much the same, I shorted the front links, did a few minor mods on the frame and shock mounts and threw in a set of MG495's, could not be happier, but I know how to make mine better LOL. for those who hate on the RS10, i would put this against a XR any day in a gated crawl, and this has stock motors and ESC, even put my old stock FM Lansu in it, the QT3 it came with will not respond on the modded 3 channel, need to check that out.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
RCC Addict

well I didn't get any pics of it, was too busy sweating lol. I am going up to my parents place next weekend to scout a place to host another crawl. Dad had been so busy the last few weeks that Friday night was the first time he had even had a chance to charge the batteries. I walked him through the controls Saturday on site and away he went. ting seems to crawl better in reverse, i think it needs a after market ESC. other then that it did great, no break downs in 3 hours of solid crawling. the dual 3800 7.2 Nihm packs I gave him ran solid and only started to weaken as we where finishing up. I think we are going to look at some smaller 2s lipos though, the nihm are too damn heavy for this rig. and I think we will under drive the rear end, I have a extra 10t I am going to give him.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
RCC Addict

well dad got a wraith, so I thought i would take advantage of the down time and do some work on his RS10. first i threw my drive train from the 55 under, very impressive and that was just the 18T H&H pullers on 3s. Dad's will get the 13T and will only be running 2s so i am thinking the performance will be about the same. Also will be working on a CVD upgrade option, i think i have all the parts picked out, just need to order, details on that will follow in the proper thread.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Still working on upgrade options, probably be after Christmas before i get parts ordered. I did go ahead and throw this rig back together with the original axles, longer rear links and reworked the shock mounts. had to use a set of my g-made piggy backs on the front tot eh clear the chassis. This thing only gets better and better, 2s, stock motors, stock ESC and a digital airtronics radio set. she crawled over damn near anything i put in front of it. I didn't get any pics of it running but i will post of crawl pics of it here for you all. when i shut her down i killed the power switch, something i never do and then i heard the dreaded pop and fizz, wheels started moving and then smoke poured out of the stock ESC. so now this will be getting some kind of 4s upgrade, probably he same cheapo china made controller I am putting in the 55'.

You can see in this pic (kinda) how I had the shocks mounted with rod ends attached to the chassis, it worked, but allowed too much slop.

After the little bit we played in the yard on Thursday, I think dad has decided that this will be his comp rig and the wraith will be set up for hill climbs. So far this is my favorite build, sadly i did not build the chassis, so i can't take credit for that. Funny to this think builder gave up on this rig lol, I will be replicating this setup with some nice upgrades later down the road ;0
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I will get some pics tonight. i threw my knock off 4s ready ESC in last night with my 3s and took her for a quick spin in the dark....wow! stock motors mind you. dads rig started with good brand new plates and pins, i super glued the spools together so it is taking the abuse for now. love those venom wheels and tires too. suspension works nice, might try and get up on the hill this weekend with it all see what it does on the trails.

father's day gift for my dad. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Father's Day Escape Sprint 80 Hawaii 7 06-23-2009 03:40 AM
Happy Father's Day skid plate Chit Chat 5 06-21-2009 09:31 AM
Escape on Father's Day Sprint 80 Hawaii 13 06-14-2008 05:38 PM
happy father's day RydeFab Chit Chat 13 06-18-2007 08:32 AM