Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat RS10XT 1:10th Scale Crawler Review at the Beach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Redcat RS10XT 1:10th Scale Crawler Review at the Beach

HD beach rock crawling video here with the following review in its description.

After researching the various crawlers on the market and trolling through the forums, I ordered the budget-minded $155 RS10-XT ($219 MSRP) from RedcatRacing.com because of its price, parts availability and user ratings.

The kit comes Ready-To-Run (RTR) including a low Center-Of-Gravity (COG) mounted 1800mah 6-cell NIMH stick-type battery pack and 3.5hr wall charger. Other amenities include:
  • 4WS -- Four-mode Four-wheel Steering:
  • . Front-only
  • . Crab-walk
  • . Tight-circle
  • . Rear-only
  • 2.4GHz 3-channel Radio System with LED display
  • Auto-brake Dual-motor ESC with Heat-sink & Fan
  • Dual Brushed Motor-On-Axle (MOA)
  • True Bead-lock Wheels with Foams
  • Aluminum Oil-Filled Shocks
  • Full Ball Bearings
  • Aluminum Links
I also ordered $12 TGY-1501MG upgraded 15kg metal-geared servos to replace the stock under-rated plastic-geared ones; now we're up to $180.

Upon un-boxing, and as with a number of RC's I've seen, there were a few bolts that needed thread-lock/loc-tite; I had some in my toolbox but if you don't it's about $3 shipped to your door from eBay... $183 total. Basically one should always check any/all metal-to-metal connections to make sure they're using thread-lock or a locknut with nylon-on-metal insert. The shock caps were tight and NOT leaking, but this should also be checked on new models.

Having read up extensively on the RS10, I went ahead and made a few easy modifications such as bending the motor tabs and zip-typing the wires to the motor can to keep them from getting ripped off by the tires, although I wouldn't have had to do this if I hadn't upgraded the servos since the stock servos have less throw; or I could've just turned down the dual-rate steering on the controller.

Just for looks (and because it was free), I ran the steering linkage BTA (Behind-The-Axle) both front and rear. This was quick and easy, but if you have a dremel then it'll be lightning-fast. I also removed the electronics tray and velcro'd the now-waterproofed (plasti-dipped) ESC and receiver to the top of my battery to lower COG even further. For better crawling, the front wheels each have 3oz of weights taped to the inside of the wheel (free from my local tire store's recycling bucket); the servos have also been plasti-dipped, and the bearings & servo-horn sealed with marine grease.

The RS10XT performs admirably on the rocks, even if they're slippery from loose sand and the like, as shown in my HD YouTube video footage, which is gorgeous if I do say so myself. Plenty of power gets transferred to the locked-differential wheels, and the 4-mode 4WS really helps get it out of binds. 1800mah of battery gets you almost 45 minutes of crawling, and for me the motor/ESC/servos never got more than slightly warm despite all the ascension angle. The aluminum links/chassis/shocks articulate really well... almost too well at times. Later I went with a full droop setup which I may at some point modify with reverse internal shock springs. From two hours of crawling footage the 7 minute YouTube has been extracted so perhaps you could imagine how many times this thing rolled down the hill... never even cracked the body, much less broke something important.

While I'm not a big fan of the gold bead-locks or Hummer body, these can be easily modified and swapped using paint thinner (remove them first or else the plastic wheels will melt) and eBay or yard sales (respectively). In addition to taking the paint off the bead-locks and lightly coating them with silicone oil to prevent rust, I also ordered a 1/8 scale painted crawler truck body ($20 from Redcat) and ended up finding a New Bright Jeep body for $2 at a yard sale; sub-$200 total now with 3 interchangeable bodies!

If you're wondering about parts availability and upgrades, check out Rockslide RS10 XT 1/10 Scale Crawler 2.4GHz and click on "Schematics" about 1/3 of the way down on the right-hand side. From there you can click on any part number in the parts explosion to DIRECTLY visit the webpage from which to order. Parts are very reasonably priced, and upgrades include all-metal transmission gears, unlocked differentials for bashing, larger 1/8th scale pre-painted multi-scheme truck bodies, optional body mounts, 15kg metal-geared servos, fast chargers, light kits and more!

Conclusion:
The good -- price, crawling capabilities, parts availability, documentation
The bad -- resale value; but then, it didn't cost $400 up front either =P
The ugly -- NOTHING!
Bottom Line:
If you're looking to get into crawling or trail-stomping for the sheer enjoyment of it and don't have much cash, the RS10-XT is for you.
Subscribe to this thread for updates including more info, pics & maybe even some video!

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 06-26-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: adding links
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

Default Re: Redcat RS10XT 1:10th Scale Crawler Review at the Beach

What beach is that?
Sepedajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepedajh View Post
What beach is that?
Corona Del Mar in SoCal; here's a map. Rules (that I remember) are:
  1. Respect the rangers
  2. Stay off the walking paths
  3. Better to go at off-season/less-busy days/times
  4. Motor at least 10' away from cliff edges that could drop your beast onto people or into the ocean
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #4

Thank you
Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #5

That's a couple hours north of me. I'll have to keep it in mind my next trip up that way.

Tags
2.4ghz, aluminum, cheap, review, rtr

Redcat RS10XT 1:10th Scale Crawler Review at the Beach - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
redcat rs10xt mods rccrawler39 Newbie General 3 02-23-2013 10:11 AM
Redcat RS10XT Crawling Test icius Videos! 0 06-24-2012 08:49 PM
My redcat rs10xt redcat1 Redcat Crawlers 2 02-25-2012 02:02 PM
motors for redcat rs10xt muddin cr3wlerz Redcat Crawlers 8 11-25-2010 11:18 PM