LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: OZ RS10 beater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungas View Post
Shortened my wheelbase back to standard
... going comp legal for a while...
The stock wheelbase on my RS10 is >13" (with the lower links horizontal), so it has to be shortened to be comp legal.
You better check the wheelbase on your rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungas View Post
... the (not so) local hobby store (which is a 45 mins by boat and a further hour and a bit by road) has a course and runs comps.
Lucky you!

The few "local" comps/meetings held around here are typically more remote than that, and that's with me living very close to the geographical centre of Sweden.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

So my trusty ebay b6 clone shat itself today. Burned out a strip of copper on the cereal box they used for a pcb. Soldered in a bit of wire to bridge it and all is well for now. Might post a couple of photos so long as you all promise not to mock my horribe soldering skills. For anyone running one of these chargers i suggest you check the pcb for signs of the copper lifting. The error given was 'reverse polaritym despite everything being hooked up correctly. Has happened to a few folk according to google
Dungas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

More chassis chopping (there isn't much left to chop)
More suspension tweeking.
More steering lock.
More Rovers ordered
More ground clearance
More photos when i can be bothered posting them.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Been a while since high school math, >13= less than 13
redcatkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcatkrawler View Post
Been a while since high school math, >13= less than 13
No. The pointy end is towards the smaller number, so...
>13 means more than 13. (Not including 13 in the interval.)
<13 means less than 13. (Not including 13 in the interval.)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

So my wheelbase is sitting at 11 and 3/4 inches.
Belly height is around 3 and 3/4.
I believe the chassis mods have been a step in the right direction, but the shocks are letting me down. Anyone know what the stock Venom Creeper shocks are like? they look ok for the price.
I have a bit of an idea on how I will do some homebrew knuckle weights. just gotta wait for the father in-law to bring me some more aluminium strips.
I am also tossing up the idea of running small 3s packs on the axle as the stick style 2s is no longer a nice fit in the chassis and there is virtually no room left for the electronics.
The banebots will handle 3s (for how long i don't know) but I'd better order an esc if i go down that route.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

First up is the dodgy ebay b6 clone. I will replace it with something decent when funds permit.

Next up is whats left of my chassis and battery plate, the inboard mounted lower links have been a great imrovement.

Improved steering angle, shocks mounted where the links should be, links mounted inboard of shocks

Homebrew Hi-steer mod.

Obligatory flex shot, black tape for prototyping purposes and to hide the spaghetti wiring.

spent some time checking out compact lipos, looks like i can just squeeze a 1300mah 3s on the side of the front gearbox so i might go ahead and order 2 or 3 sometime soon.
I will then donate the big 2s packs to my drift project
Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Got my 2nd pair of Rovers in the mail today.
More suspension/chassis tweeks.
Ignore the battery placement, there is literally nowhere else to put it.
Its a completely different beast compared to stock.

Thoughts?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I think it looks good. I like the second picture there, looks like the battery tray or part of the chassis was modified for some rollover protection or to help on flipovers. Nice job. By the way do you like the longer or shorter wheelbase.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

The 'cab' was made from a spare electronics tray and some scrap aluminium.
Its mainly to afford some protection for the electronics now that I run it bodiless... and it looks cool

As for the wheelbase length, Its less prone to getting stuck on its belly but more prone to flipping backwards on steep crawls, I guess driving style comes into it a bit too, overall I think I prefer the shorter wheelbase as I get used to it.
That being said I think I will slightly lengthen the rear links.

Still on the Wishlist
Knuckle Weights (D.I.Y)
Outcry dual motor ESC
Zippy compact 3S (possibly axle mounted)
Venom Creeper shocks
Lights
2.4 Radio (just need a 2nd Rx, already bought a set for another car)
Mini HD Cam
Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Managed to squeeze the battery back in the chassis.
Painted the chassis black (poorly I might add)
Everything is rather snug but it all fits.... just.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Its sunday late morning, mrs Dungas is hibernating, the little man has 6 seasons of thomas the tank engine to shut him up.

I think i will do some landscaping

Rock gardens are landscaping.... right???
Old 03-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Only in oz
Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

really digging this build. thinking about picking one up in the next few months. which will make my 3rd crawler.... i might have a small addiction. also thinking about building a micro scaler just for the hell of it. cant wait to see what this thing will do!!
Nickpequignot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Righto so now that I have broken my drifter (again) its back to the rs10.

First things first, Since the drifter is de-commissioned at the moment, I pillaged its 2.4 Receiver and fitted it in the rs10. WOW, apparantly I was getting nowhere near full throttle range with the stock controller (no idea why)
The difference is huuuge, and the battery life, somewhat less....

Purchased a couple of Tower Pro mg996R to replace the current ebay special that is dieing a slow death. Whilst ebaying i also picked up a new aluminium servo horn.

A quick browse of HobbyKing this morning in search of drifter parts led me to purchasing a 2nd 2.4 Rx unit so I don't need to swap it back over again.

8t pinion on the rear finally failed (courtesy of my new found throttle limit) when I find the appropriate allen key I will swap it for a new one and maybe fit a 10t on the front as I read somewhere that having the front overdriven helps with tight turns??

Also tweeked the suspension a little more, and added weight to the axles (more fishing sinkers, yes, I know, I'm a cheapskate) 6oz at each corner plus whatever i had in the front wheels, I forget now.

If I screw it back together today I will get some decent photos and maybe a video. remember, thats IF....

Might even start a thread somewhere for the distraction/moneypit/drifter if I get real enthusiastic at some point.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #36
RCC Addict

rs10s are a lot of fun to play with. yours is looking good.

overdriving the front axle is to help with clod-stall.

for tighter turns a dig switch is used. by locking up the rear motor when you turn the steering
and give it throttle the crawler pivots around the rear inside wheel. mostly used in competitions
were there is no 4ws
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

I have considered a dig on a few occasions but since I was keeping the stock radio and 4ws until now i had decided against it, However I might have a look on HK for a cheap 3 or 4 ch radio and go from there.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Default 4 years later...

I forgot i was even on this forum till i was searching for info on a toy scaler I just purchased impulsively (the cheap and cheerful wpl c14).

The RS10 has sat redundant for about 3 years since i wore out a rear pinion and put it on the shelf.
I can find a replacement pinion from the u.s. for $10..... with $30 postage. **** that noise, i'll just keep sniffing round for other options.
Keen as to get back into crawling as my little fella is almost 5 now and absolutely loves rc stuff.

Never did make it as far as entering comps, life kind of got in the way of that and most of my hobbies got shelved in favor of full time single parenting but now the lad is old enough to really enjoy rc stuff with me its high time we got back into it.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Default New stuff!

So i found a pinion set and also a spare gear set just in case, then whilst browsing ebay for a cheap body of some sorts i came across this

s_l1600

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-St....c100005.m1851

cheaper than any decent lexan body i could find and way cooler too. looks like were going full rock bouncer style. gonna add a few scale accessories for the sake of it and find a nice compact 2S to fit a bit better than the stick style i use presently

IMG_20180115_151724
IMG_20180115_151750
IMG_20180115_151837

I backspaced the motor about 1mm to make use of the very edge of the pinion that still remained and got a solid 15 minutes of beating on it before it let go.
Thats all I needed, I'm hooked again.
Can't believe its sat on the shelf all this time, itching for my parts to get here so i can go for a proper bash again.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Default today was a good day

Pinions and spare gear set turned up today

Cant wait for my lads HSP RGT to get here now, in the meantime I started to wonder about powering it up with a 3s, how many folk still running the stock ESC? will it handle a 3s? not too fussed if i cook it i'd just like a little more grunt on tap now and then.

Also taking suggestions for a cheap ESC for when curiosity inevitably gets the better of me and i stick a 3S in it and let all the smoke out

OZ RS10 beater. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the scene and have a question about rs10 vs rs10 XT sky56 Redcat Crawlers 18 03-02-2013 07:24 PM
My Beater!!! John Deere Chit Chat 8 10-17-2007 12:11 AM
Beater Help RockRevolver Kyosho Crawlers 2 02-05-2007 07:04 AM