Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New body style RS10XT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New body style RS10XT

So the new servo's work great and can really move those wheels so I wanted to get more steering so I cut and shut the wheels, from the last set of pics I cut only from the back side so I would get more steering clearance, man what a difference, no more tire rub and a lot of steering. I cut about a 1/4 inch out of the wheel so there only 1 inch wide beadlock to beadlock. I used E6000 glue and some larger longer screws just to help reinforce the cut wheel, I also included some pics about on the jig I used to cut the wheels with a typical chop saw just had to rotate the wheel so I didn't cut the hub off. also here are some servo pics and some pics of the aluminum plates I made to help out cause of the torque of the new servo. I only have the front complete so more pics to come.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 02-21-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: misspelling
bbolden516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I took it apart today to get some close up pics of the shock mount to axle, I used a tape in the pics hope this helps if your trying to build your own.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I finished up the last two wheels so all 4 of my cut and shut wheel and tires are complete, I also took pics of the aluminum servo plate I build the new servos have a ton of torque and flexed the plastic to much. also the servos like a lot of juice so I made a T adapter and run my bec and my servos strait off my 2s lipo. this made them quicker but not a fast servo these solar D772's, you can also see my 23t servo horns.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I found out that with this much steering the dog bones are not liking it at all, I want to do a cvd mod on this and I am looking into it. For now though I found if you take the rubber servo mount bushing that come with every after market servo and put them in the drive cup off the diff it pushes the dog bone down and into the drive axle better. also to a pic of the screws used for the cut and shut wheels got them at lowes.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I know not everyone likes the super cobalt 400 motors and there hard to find but I found a set NIB for $40 for the pair on ebay so I pulled the trigger if I don't like them ill just sell them on here probably, also got some aluminum steering knuckles why I was at it still looking into the cvd mod.
As always all comments welcome.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

It looks like the steering mods are paying off. I plan to fab some shock mounts similar to what you have when I can finally spend some time on it. I dig the narrowed wheels also.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Yup by clocking the axles to get better motor to link clearance I was able to put the lower links back to the original spot, and by cutting down the wheels I got more clearance side to side so no im not sure of the angle but I have a lot of steering, so much that I really need cvds the stock dog bones are holding me back from any more steering plus cvds would just be better over all so im looking into options cause I don't want to do the bully cvd combo I wanta do my own thing im leaning hard toward traxxas slash 4x4 front only cvds so will see if it works there on order along with aluminum knuckles. Also have the original wheels with there rovers to remount after cutting and shutting im going to make this next set of wheels even skinner about 3/4 of an inch compared to the last ones were 1 inch so the build continues I will post more pics to come as the wheels and tires get cut and shut and my parts on order come in, as always all comments welcome.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Lot of good mods. Your rig looks bad ass. I see you still have 4 wheel steer. Liking the wheel mods.
redcatkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

The wheel mod is the best way to gain steering thus far, by cutting 1/4 inch out of the 1st set and 1/2 inch out of the second set I have way more room for steering plus I think the tires look and grab better as well with the skinnier set of wheels I have the cobalts in and wow they are powerful, can you say wheelie or wheel speed ive got it, start up not so great but a quick blast of throttle and they crawl down pretty slow and if you need power or torque more throttle gets it. Any ways ill have new pics to post here soon, really need to do a video of the motors cause wow is the word and not too big of a mod the pinion size is a 3.17mm or 1/8 inch, the pitch on these is .06 mod or 48 pitch metric not 48 pitch standard, and like always the build continues and all comments welcome.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

OK so too much of a good thing is bad, meaning to much steering. the dog bones can only take so much and snap they shot out, oh well I got plans for that.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I knew from reading on here that the stock dog bones would only take me so far and I found there breaking point. Any ways I got 2 different types of cvd's both front only traxxas slash 4x4 cvds by integy, the T8559 will not work too big in dia. so don't buy them. The T8560 by integy will work but you have to cut some of the diff cup about 1/16+ inch or just up to the grub screw hole. you also have to cut some of the shaft off, little more than 1/4+ inch then the shaft will go past the hex on the inside of the slipper shaft and just turn free no good, so you have to crimp it slightly at the end about the last 1/2 inch or so, that way the shaft dosent turn inside the slipper shaft. The axle end and the diff cup are all the right dia. I have completed one only and will continue the build and pics, also snapped a couple shots of the new cobalt 27t motors.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I got one axle all finished up with the cvds, I have pretty good steering thanks to a new steering mod I made a new bracket for the steering linkage way less stress on the servo so it don't get near as hot and its not going to shoot out dog bones no more its really pretty easy to make these cvds work minor cutting and crimping if any one is interested I can walk them threw it or do a diy thread. all so got aluminum knuckles and new axle housing to put on just wanted to make sure it all went together before I put the new parts on a mod cvd set up.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 03-03-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: spelling and add text
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Nice job. Everything, CVD has been on my mind forever
iDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I can do a how too tread on this I wish ebay had more of these they were only like 19-20 bucks there. the hex wheel adapt has to be drilled out slightly larger too but really it was not a hard mod to do. The cvd is nice, cause its cvd on both ends not dog boned on one end like I have seen on other mods, no more slack in the drive train this way im really happy with it so far.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Nice work ! A how to would be awesome ! I'm gonna have to pick up a set of these in a week or so when funds allow and try to mod my front axle. I just finished installing integy 55 turn 540's so cvd's would probably be a good idea.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

OK so the T8560 cvds I used aren't on ebay any more I found a few web sites that sell them for around $17-18 but there on back order pretty much every where right now, I mite have to wait but integy has them but they want the listed price on the package of $28.99, so for $10 dollars plus ill wait a bit so once these are back in stock ill do the how too on the other axle, I can say by running the stock dog bones in one axle and my cvd set up in the other axle the cvds are smooth and no binding even at max steer so I cant wait to do the other axle I mite have to order like 3 more pairs cause im thinking of building a spare set of axles fully prepped and ready with metal gears hardened pins and the cvd mod. Im thinking a spare set of fully modded axles would be nice but im leaning toward another build from the ground up with the cat axles a viper 2 chassis derin links and possibly brushless out runners so as always the mods continue. BTW the steering mod I posted up above works great, ive run it quite a bite and the servos are running way cooler temps. If you look at the aluminum bracket I made it connects the steering knuckle from the steering arm all the way across the knuckle and goes out further on the opposite end, this gives the servo more leverage.

Last edited by bbolden516; 03-08-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

That's what I call the Spirit of Moddimg. Nice work.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I finished my new steering mods up and started messing around with the links. The cobalt motors I got are just slightly longer and I need to revise the bents in my links to fit those motors and alittle extra clearance never herts.
I also lowered the suspension a bit for better COG, because of the cut and shut wheels I run hardly any wheel weight like 1 to 1.5 oz in front only. Also to get better 60/40 spilt in weight I added the old steering links from the volcano to add roughly a 1/2 inch to the rear lower links, this basically shifts the chassis forward. I didn't add to the front and with the new bent links they are shorter putting more weight on the front wheels but not adding weight to the rig. Because the front is now closer to the chassis I made new shock mounts to the axle super simple bolts to the lower link mount
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 03-09-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: add text
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

I am flat out amazed how much bend you put in those steel hex links. I avoided bending mine because I was sure they would snap and then I'd be sad. Did you heat them to bend them or just pound away? How did you get the nice curves?
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Break tubing .bender and pliers. And I just eye balled it.

Tags
new body style rs10xt

New body style RS10XT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any pics of the SCX with an older Chevy body on it? Like the 67-72 C-10 style body? riz Axial SCX-10 16 01-03-2010 07:13 PM
New body style? Lt. Dan General Crawlers 6 10-10-2005 09:46 PM