Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New RS10 XT...issues out of the box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

Default New RS10 XT...issues out of the box

I just got a RS10 XT for my daughter yesterday, and immediately had issues with binding the tx/rx...got on the phone with Redcat and eventually (by dumb luck) got it bound.
The next issue I noticed last night was the wheels (primarily the rear) are, for lack of a better term, "wonky". Thought it might just be the tires out of round from sitting in the packaging, but just noticed today that the wheels themselves have a lot of play. I tightened up the wheel nuts, and still same play. Any ideas?
My 4yo daughter loves this thing, but being a true female, has an eye for that sort of detail. (Looks I mean) So, I told her I would put aside all the work needed on my T to fix it for her. I am browsing around the forum here to find some other tips and tricks to make it a little better for her and keep her from turtling so much. (Lower the CG right?) I want her to keep the interest in it, but also don't want her to have a lot of downtime with it for me to do any mods or upgrades. This Indiana winter has been brutal for a 4yo cooped up inside. After reading a lot of reviews, I thought this would be the perfect balance for cost, ease of use, ability, and low speed for her not to re-kit it against a wall. Seems to be meeting most of my expectations so far. Her smiling has been worth every penny.
JayGreig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New RS10 XT...issues out of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGreig View Post
I just got a RS10 XT for my daughter yesterday, and immediately had issues with binding the tx/rx...got on the phone with Redcat and eventually (by dumb luck) got it bound.
The next issue I noticed last night was the wheels (primarily the rear) are, for lack of a better term, "wonky". Thought it might just be the tires out of round from sitting in the packaging, but just noticed today that the wheels themselves have a lot of play. I tightened up the wheel nuts, and still same play. Any ideas?
My 4yo daughter loves this thing, but being a true female, has an eye for that sort of detail. (Looks I mean) So, I told her I would put aside all the work needed on my T to fix it for her. I am browsing around the forum here to find some other tips and tricks to make it a little better for her and keep her from turtling so much. (Lower the CG right?) I want her to keep the interest in it, but also don't want her to have a lot of downtime with it for me to do any mods or upgrades. This Indiana winter has been brutal for a 4yo cooped up inside. After reading a lot of reviews, I thought this would be the perfect balance for cost, ease of use, ability, and low speed for her not to re-kit it against a wall. Seems to be meeting most of my expectations so far. Her smiling has been worth every penny.
I had the same issue with the tires. Take them off. Remove the bead locks. Inspect the part of the tire that slips into the bead. I found there were thick and thin areas. The thick areas will not go all the way into the groove. Trim off the excess with a razor knife. This will make them seat. Even after that I still found way more woggle than I liked but it's as good as it gets. It does improved the side to side wagging.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #3

Okay, just ordered x2 hitech 645mgs, hardened steel pins, two more 4600 speedpacks, steel gear set x2, and some lead tubing. I will snip the tires and foams tonight, hopefully get the parts and get them installed before next weekend. I will probably look into the bent link mod also, leaving (hopefully) only a paint job to "finish" it off. (This one she wants purple) anyone tried stripping the body with brake fluid yet?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #4

MountainStorm,
Thanks for the tip, I will tear into them probably tonight, though, I am planning on adding some lead wrap, so I might wait. Did it seem to you that the wheel was actually loose on the hex?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGreig View Post
MountainStorm,
Thanks for the tip, I will tear into them probably tonight, though, I am planning on adding some lead wrap, so I might wait. Did it seem to you that the wheel was actually loose on the hex?
Mine have a slight wag even when totally tightened.

The body is painted on the inside (you probably know that). If you want to repaint the inside try stripping their print using lacquer thinner and a rag but see how the plastic reacts first. You could always just paint the outside and skip the strip.

Where's the lead tubing going to mount? I want to add weight but I do not want to weight the wheels...I want to weight the axle.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

I plan on just weighting the wheels. Unless I hear differently anyway.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

there is a lot of slop in the knuckles. the bushings dont fit too well. on the one i have now the knuckles
were a lot thicker than the length of the bushings so if i tightened them down it would dampen the steering.
i used some berg knuckles i had lying around and im sure others will also fit well. axial, vanquish.
the bearings used and the length of the stub axles seem to be universal.

i have also noted slop in the rod ends and the lansu servo as well. damn that steering goes everywhere haha
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I think I know what u mean, and I remember reading someone using a small washer between wheel and hex. Also the stock Knuckles do flex a lot. After alto of play indoor and out in cold/snow I can hold my wheel and the knuckle will still flex to full servo throw.

Last edited by iDC5; 03-07-2014 at 11:03 AM.
iDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I had a look at all 4 hexes on mine today and the grub screw was loose on two of them. One of them the screw had backed out so far the wheel was hard to put on (which is why I looked at the other 3).

So I would strongly suggest taking off the wheel and snugging all those grub screws.

Wheels run a bit more true now.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I will warn you about tightening those grub screws too much.
the metal of the stub axle is pretty soft and you will put a divot on the
shaft. this will make it very difficult to take off the stub axle from the knuckles.

and while we are there, look at the hexes, see the raised lips on the outer face?
the wheels have the corresponding cuts in them but not all wheels have this so if you use
other wheels they might not seat all the way onto the hex.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hmmm. I assume other hexes and stubs will fit? Any suggestions on good replacement parts?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I bought several low profile hexes without grub screws but I am taking the risk of loosing pins
check tis in ebay, it is what I bought 291006052666

pretty much any of them will work I just liked this color and for the price we also get extra pins
of course you can just leave the screws off and you can grind off the lips and keep track of the pins hahahaha

when you get ready for new wheels there are some other ways of attaching the wheels that are interesting
Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I found this thread yesterday.

Drill press rim mod's with VP hubs

they bring up a few different topics in there but the ones that got my attention were
modding wheels for the swappable hubs. so we can use the same wheels and be able to change the offsets
but farther in he starts making his own beadlocks.
the newer wheels are modular, you have outer ring inner ring and a mounting face and are connected by standoffs.
the inner and outer rings can be either beadlocks or glueons. he started cutting off the beadlock rings from wheels
and making a mounting ring for the hubs, but then he makes the wheels from scratch. very interesting and informative
check it out and let me know if you liked it

Last edited by cabron; 03-08-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I will have to revisit that thread. I saw where he drilled for scale realism lug nut mounting to a VP hub backer. Did not see where he made his own bead locks. That sound sright up my alley. Been thinking about making these meats 1" wide.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
RCC Addict

he gets quite involved, look through the whole thing, he shows the hub mod,
then he shows using the beadlock rings from old wheels, then he makes his own beadlocks

if i can get you intrested then i will let you make me a set or two. i have been shopping for some wheels

i dont really read minds, i am just ahead of everyone
Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
he gets quite involved, look through the whole thing, he shows the hub mod,
then he shows using the beadlock rings from old wheels, then he makes his own beadlocks

if i can get you intrested then i will let you make me a set or two. i have been shopping for some wheels

i dont really read minds, i am just ahead of everyone
I watched some tutorials on cut n shut and it's a lot easier than I thought.

I tend to make tools and jigs and fixtures for any task I will repeat. My mind is already chewing on how to make a tire cutting tool. I can see a pair of super tall skinnies on my RS10...then when I turtle at least I have a chance of getting it right side up without bending over.

So much to learn...this will be fun.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #17

pretty amazing some of the things I am seeing done even with the stock wheels...I have to confess, I am just on here keeping up with some the rather interesting threads, with two other windows open. One shopping/ reading reviews on some other crawlers...and the other still up is the order confirmation page from buying another RS10 for myself. My daughter is chomping at the bit, waiting for her replacement ESC to get here from Redcat. No magic smoke escaped or anything...just not sending power to the motors. I am thinking about the Losi Nightcrawler...any input or familiarity on these?
Can't wait to get the other RS10...should be fun for the two of us to take them out together.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
RCC Addict

again look through the losi nc buillds and see what all they end up doing
they have their own issues, but the idea of worm drive is intriguing ( however that is spelled)

there is nothing wrong with trying all of them, buy used - try it out - sell if you are
not quite satisfied

finally realized that the exceed mad torque by nitrorcx is a copy of the bergs interchangeable gears and all
if i did not already have two sets of berg axles i would certainly jump on one of those.

jaygreig i apologize for jumping into your thread. i got a bit turned around in my posts and started
conversing with mountain in here
Old 03-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Hey Jay I am on the same path. I think I want to get three different rigs so me, my daughter (7) and my son (10) can all play. I am looking at the Maxstone 1/10 shaft drive because it's about the same price point. The Losi Nightcrawler is pretty interesting but too high dollar for me. If I am going to throw that kind of money at a rig I think a kit build would be more satisfying. Something like the Gmade R1 or the Sawback.

New RS10 XT...issues out of the box - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking at a rs10 jboehler04 Redcat Crawlers 11 07-29-2013 09:54 AM
New to the scene and have a question about rs10 vs rs10 XT sky56 Redcat Crawlers 18 03-02-2013 07:24 PM
Tool box/ field box? Cole82 Tools, and Procedures 39 12-28-2010 09:56 PM