Default Re: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

There the rc4wd super swamper boggers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kenny1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Been spying on this thread for a while, and now I have a Everest setting on the table in front of me. Thanks for all the great info! I think for the money and with a little modifying, it'll be a pretty good crawler.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyt11010 View Post
what wheels and tires ares are those? looking to run "swampers" myself on mine
... and the rims are Redcat Rockslide RS10. THE most unmistakable beadlock rings in the industry.

Now that my back is finally doing better and things are getting done I have ability and time to dig DEEP into the axles.

Preliminaries indicate ... some surprises, some not.

More coming this weekend here on RCCRAWLER.COM!

(sorry, have a commercial moment )
TakeOffYouHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

don't see hardly any vids of it on youtube. ive only found one. not even a unboxing .
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

well found 1 more, on youtube, a running video of it running thru deep water.,
Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

the only thing i dont like the looks of is those upper links, the ax10,s werent like that.and the plastic lockers mentioned.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

So, as promised, deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep within the E10 axles ...

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 1 photo 004_gimp_zps4c90a731.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 2 photo 006_gimp_zps825bb1f3.jpg

The above pics show the E10 axle at top and an SCX10 axle at bottom (for reference it's from a "Builder's Kit", waiting to be built, so that's why it's on a "tree"). Internal and external dimensions are all pretty close, meaning you could swap a complete axle housing over if you wanted to and it would work fine. But that's a gross generalization and swapping individual parts becomes a little tricky. Read on ...

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 14 photo 035_gimp_zps8b04d965.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 15 photo 036_gimp_zpsa1da7d62.jpg

Closer inspection above shows where you start to run in to considerable differences. For those that read the links I posted earlier in the thread many Exceed MaxStone 10 owners have found that the axle ends, where they insert into the differential, are significantly different, as well as the lengths of the axles.

The top pic shows, from left to right, a long E10 axle dogbone, a short E10 axle dogbone and an SCX10 axle dogbone. Each E10 axle assembly takes one short and one long dogbone. If you remove them don't worry about putting them back in the wrong place - you can only put them in one way and have it all go together properly (if you reverse them then the long axle dogbone will stick waaaaay out too far).

Below, some relief can be had in that the axle ends are interchangeable without issue. E10 axle stub on left, SCX10 on right.

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 3 photo 008_gimp_zps1fea6234.jpg

To be more specific still, for the SuperNerds lke me, the dimensions of the axle ends (where they insert into the diff locker);
- E10 = 0.1335" across the flats and 0.195" diameter
- SCX10 = 0.124" across the flats and 0.176" diameter

This is where you can see what people are talking about when they say they shave/file/trim the ends to fit. You need to remove a little bit of material to get the original Redcat axle dogbones to fit into the Axial diff lockers. (sorry, but I was unable to capture this difference on camera well enough to post)

Last edited by TakeOffYouHoser; 01-11-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

As we continue through the assembly we run into the Achille's Heel of the Redcat Everest 10 - the plastic differential. The gear itself seems of good quality, at least to me, but the differential case serves double duty. Pics below show Everest-10 on left, SCX10 on right.

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 11 photo 027_gimp_zpsebb191dd.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 12 photo 028_gimp_zpsab3e1405.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 13 photo 031_gimp_zpsb8a1743b.jpg

The two units themselves as an assembly are completely interchangeable in all aspects - the bearings, the gears, housings and bearing dimensions swap back and forth 100%. If you want to swap in SCX10 axles this helps to make it easy.

Below you can see your options, at least as I know them ...

Option 1 - remove the upstand within the diff case the the axle dogbone ends slide into. Use whatever method you find best suits your needs (drill, Dremel, chisel, lightning bolt ... ). Then use Axial Heavy Duty Locker part number AX30500. There are TWO to a single package, so you only need to order one of this part number to do both ends of your E10.

Option 2 - use Redcat differential case part number 2039. This is the same unit that comes in MANY of their 1/10 cars, buggies and trucks. It convenienttly does not have the protrusion as you can see in the pics, so no need to get dirty. Also use Axial Heavy Duty Locker part number AX30500. Both part numbers are TWO to a single package, so you only need to order one of this part number to do both ends of your E10.

Option 3 - use Axial Diff Case Small part number AX80002 and Heavy Duty Locker part number AX30500. As with the Redcat version of the swap you only need to get ONE of each package as there are two parts, so enough to do both ends of your truck.

As of writing this, January 11 2015, Redcat Racing Everest 10 pdf manual shows part number 180009 "connect box" to be an aluminum differential assembly. Their webiste verifies this, but currently shows no stock. Hopefully this tells use about an alternative in the future.

Also, with this regard. those paying close attention will note that I mentioned swapping the differential as an assembly, but am also showing individual part swap options. The compatibility of these individual parts that make the assembly is such that you can also swap gearsets. Want to run overdrive in one axle or underdrive in the other? Sure, go ahead and get to proper Axial part numbers and have at it!

(singing) The diff locks connected to the dogbone ...

... but none of it will go together properly without SOME material removal. It's a necessity. To run Axial axle dogbones you MUST remove material somewhere. Below you can see a stock Axial front axle dogbone in the Everest 10 axle housing. At the left side you can see flange that the bearing would ride against is protruding from the housing end. This is undesireable. In order to fix this you need to remove material from the end that slides into the diff locker. This is only necessary on the one side. The opposite side, shown second pic below, shows the oppisite effect, so no material removal required.

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 16 photo 040_gimp_zpsb0e4b9cf.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 17 photo 041_gimp_zpscf150448.jpg

Last edited by TakeOffYouHoser; 01-11-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Let's have a look at the C hubs and knuckles now, shall we?

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 4 photo 013_gimp_zps824027a8.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 5 photo 014_gimp_zps89570916.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 6 photo 015_gimp_zpse86f30df.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 7 photo 017_gimp_zps4371dfbe.jpg

To the naked eye it all seems good to go, right? NOPE! It's not the easy 'plug and play' completely. The knuckle only poses one issue, albeit a VERY important one. The smaller outer bearing on the Redcat measures 5x10x4 (for those learning that means 5mm Inner Diameter x 10mm Outer Diameter x 4mm thick). The Axial uses a 5x11x4 (so 5mm ID x 11mm OD x 4mm thick). If you want to run an Axial knuckle make sure you get that outer beaking as well. The larger inner bearing is the same 10x15x4 on both.

Now the C hub carrier is where things get a little more interesting. It wasn't easy for me to capture it in pics, but I tried my best. Hopefully I make it clear enough. The pic below shows the E10 axle housing with the stock plastic Axial SCX10 C hub carrier. Fitment is NOT possible.

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 8 photo 019_gimp_zps31b56b1e.jpg

The two bosses that protrude from the housing, where the housing end screws screw into, measures 18mm across. The C hub carrier has slots that slide over this and they only measure 17mm for the plastic Axial equivalent. That means it's smaller and will NOT fit. It's even smaller at 15.5mm for the aluminum part shown (lower pic - Axial part number 30495 was what I had there)). These both fit the Axial housings well as the boss on those are much shorter.

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 9 photo 020_gimp_zps27c89ec8.jpg

Redcat Everest 10 axle versus Axial SCX10 10 photo 024_gimp_zps34109814.jpg

A possible fix is to remove some material from those bosses perhaps with a file would be ebst. Your truck, your rules, so do as you wish.

That's all i've got for you for now. I need to show what happens when you use a REAR Axial-type SCX10 axle dogbone. My camera batteries died before I could finish today and then there was dog training, so ... more to come.

Last edited by TakeOffYouHoser; 01-11-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Was just going to ask if the lockers were a success with little work and now you answered the question looks like ill be ordering lockers, now how about drive shafts? i am told traxxas may fit??
aftershock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeOffYouHoser View Post
As we continue through the assembly we run into the Achille's Heel of the Redcat Everest 10 - the plastic differential. The gear itself seems of good quality, at least to me, but the differential case serves double duty. Pics below show Everest-10 on left, SCX10 on right.

The two units themselves as an assembly are completely interchangeable in all aspects - the bearings, the gears, housings and bearing dimensions swap back and forth 100%. If you want to swap in SCX10 axles this helps to make it easy.

Below you can see your options, at least as I know them ...

Option 1 - remove the upstand within the diff case the the axle dogbone ends slide into. Use whatever method you find best suits your needs (drill, Dremel, chisel, lightning bolt ... ). Then use Axial Heavy Duty Locker part number AX30500. There are TWO to a single package, so you only need to order one of this part number to do both ends of your E10.

Option 2 - use Redcat differential case part number 2039. This is the same unit that comes in MANY of their 1/10 cars, buggies and trucks. It convenienttly does not have the protrusion as you can see in the pics, so no need to get dirty. Also use Axial Heavy Duty Locker part number AX30500. Both part numbers are TWO to a single package, so you only need to order one of this part number to do both ends of your E10.

Option 3 - use Axial Diff Case Small part number AX80002 and Heavy Duty Locker part number AX30500. As with the Redcat version of the swap you only need to get ONE of each package as there are two parts, so enough to do both ends of your truck.

As of writing this, January 11 2015, Redcat Racing Everest 10 pdf manual shows part number 180009 "connect box" to be an aluminum differential assembly. Their webiste verifies this, but currently shows no stock. Hopefully this tells use about an alternative in the future.

Also, with this regard. those paying close attention will note that I mentioned swapping the differential as an assembly, but am also showing individual part swap options. The compatibility of these individual parts that make the assembly is such that you can also swap gearsets. Want to run overdrive in one axle or underdrive in the other? Sure, go ahead and get to proper Axial part numbers and have at it!

(singing) The diff locks connected to the dogbone ...

... but none of it will go together properly without SOME material removal. It's a necessity. To run Axial axle dogbones you MUST remove material somewhere. Below you can see a stock Axial front axle dogbone in the Everest 10 axle housing. At the left side you can see flange that the bearing would ride against is protruding from the housing end. This is undesireable. In order to fix this you need to remove material from the end that slides into the diff locker. This is only necessary on the one side. The opposite side, shown second pic below, shows the oppisite effect, so no material removal required.

Very nice thread. Thanks for your info and pics! Very informative.

Jim
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Ran across this video and wanted to add it to the mix. Not a lot of videos out there yet for the Everest 10th scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWQCadxnK20

The video pretty much says it all. Simple, low cost, ect... Smiles per dollar ratio is looking good. Now I want one!

Jim
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

I've had one of these budget buggies for a week now, and I'm loving it! I've installed the locker's a Novak 37T motor and pulled the foam out of the tires. Motor is a big improvement over the stock one that was way faster in rewind than it was going forward. The kid and I have taken turns thrashing it and so far everything is holding together very well. Torque twist is pretty bad and way worse with the new motor and the steering leaves a little to be desired in my opinion, but it's a fun little rig for 130 bucks and it's looking to be fairly durable. (upside down and tumbling off the wood pile most of the time) I've started piecing together a simple chassis in a feeble attempt to reduce the torque twist, and 4 wheel steering is going to be added.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #75

Cool! Keep us in the loop as you progress. Pics & vids are always appreciated
NorCal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #76

nice ordering a new redcat case and axial locker right now lol gives me an excuse to open the axles and get some marine grease in there anyway.
rickyt11010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #77
RCC Addict

After being out of the hobby for about two years after I traded off my losi mrc. I've been wanting to get back in the hobby. My sons birthday is coming up I've been looking at the everest and the maxstone cause they are both in the same price range from my research. Still have decided which one but I'm liking the everest more myself which I'm wanting to get myself one too so we can go crawling together and he can play with it outside and not on his tablet lol.

Anyways I noticed in my research that the everest box shows the electronics are waterproof is that true?
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

check back a couple posts by jim w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWQCadxnK20 dunno if all stock or not
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Well that made up my mind lol. I think my boy and I are going to have some fun whr I get ours.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post

Anyways I noticed in my research that the everest box shows the electronics are waterproof is that true?
I can vouch and say so far yes they are water proof
aftershock1 is offline   Reply With Quote

A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new redcat everest-10 crawler? terrywolfpack Redcat Crawlers 83 06-29-2016 01:41 PM
New redcat racing Everest-10 terrywolfpack General Crawlers 7 11-15-2015 08:40 AM
deeper offset rims!!!! minicrawlerguy530 Tires and Wheels 22 10-15-2014 06:55 PM