RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/)
-   -   Top Everest 10 mods and upgrades (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/560092-top-everest-10-mods-upgrades.html)

StomperCrawler 03-21-2016 08:39 PM

Top Everest 10 mods and upgrades

So am I correct in understanding that the top mods and upgrades for the Everest 10 are as follows:

1. Axial iron cross lockers ax30500 to prevent breakage - $13
2. Plastic-safe lube
3. Check for binding & the resolve
4. Set gear mesh using paper trick
5. Remove steering-limiting bumps
6. Move battery forward and low to lower cog
7. Brace the top of the rear axle using a piece of a cutting board or other method to prevent axle roll-$1
8. Move the shock limiters to inside the shocks to lower cog
9. Mod (trim off every other row of tread) or change the hard tires to gain traction
10. Mirror tranny to limit torque twist
11. Remove the stickers to increase looks if desired
12. Traxxas driveshafts (part # 1953) to prevent breakage, or at least carry them as spares - $9 (Axial wild boars are better but pricier)
13. Dean's or xt60 connectors (does this void the esc and motor warranty?) to prevent shorting, fire, and increase amp flow and efficiency - $5
14. RC4WD 35t motor to increase wheel speed if desired (stock is about 80t) - $10
15. 2s lipo 2,200mah - $10
16. Weight in/on the axle like burly tubes - 1/8 x 4" brass nipples - $2
17. Chop off lower screw towers from axles to prevent getting stuck
18. Inboard lower links via wraith type plate mod to limit torque twist (thanks @cabron)
19. Tighten (not over-tighten/strip) loose screws & lok-tite metal-to-metal bolts and screws
20. Remove anodizing using oven cleaner if desired
21. Add led lights and 165 ohm resistor to run off the esc's 5.1v bec. Anyone tried 6v to the servo via $4 bec? This would require 200 ohm resistor to the run leds if it doesn't fry the servo.
22. Make your own ladder chassis out of cutting board and screw it to the existing tvp chassis?
23. Outboard the shocks to help with tt - thanks @hillbillyrc
24. Tons of these tips should work too: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/259328-tips-tricks-thread.html
25. Prevent tipping by lowering the center-of-gravity (cog) more by removing the pre-load clips from the shocks and then either change to softer springs (outside or internal), insert opposing springs (2x pen Springs each) inside the shock bodies to counter the existing springs, tie on limiting straps, or else remove the springs altogether and run a droop setup. ;)
26. Lipo charger if you don't have one - $15

Total damage: $65

What am I missing?

cabron 03-21-2016 09:26 PM

Re: Top Everest 10 mods and upgrades

isn't it inboard the lower links to decrease torque twist?
using a wraith type skid plate

StomperCrawler 03-22-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabron (Post 5470984)
isn't it inboard the lower links to decrease torque twist?
using a wraith type skid plate

Yes you're right; I'll do an edit and give ya credit. :)

BTW I think remember seeing someone hack the stock plate to do this.

cabron 03-22-2016 12:00 PM

yes that is cheaper and more fun

KPconcepts 03-27-2016 10:08 AM

I've seen quite a few people break/replace the stock plastic servo horn with a metal one. Still waiting for mine to break before I upgrade.

hillbillyrc 03-27-2016 10:41 AM

Out boarding shocks help with torque twist also.

StomperCrawler 03-27-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPconcepts (Post 5474740)
I've seen quite a few people break/replace the stock plastic servo horn with a metal one. Still waiting for mine to break before I upgrade.

How many teeth is the servo and is it worth buying a $4 alloy horn to fit or will the servo just break next?

KPconcepts 03-27-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StomperCrawler (Post 5474761)
How many teeth is the servo and is it worth buying a $4 alloy horn to fit or will the servo just break next?

Here's a link to the one my buddy is using (25t) - RC Car Steering Servo Half Arm Horn 25T M3 Torque Aluminum Futaba Blue US | eBay

I can find $4 in my couch but I haven't quite seen anyone having to replace the entire servo yet

TIME MACHINE 08-26-2016 01:00 PM

Bump for a great thread for us new Redcat owners.

What is the story on #25 in regards to pen springs?

hillbillyrc 08-26-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE (Post 5555151)
Bump for a great thread for us new Redcat owners.

What is the story on #25 in regards to pen springs?

Helps lower it for better center of gravity, and run shocks in droop or semi- droop. Rc fuel line can be used to help limit the shocks also And has some give unlike hard things like plastic or metal.

I used them in my old losi mrc and ran the front in a semi-droop with pen springs inside the shocks and fuel tube on the shaft and the rear limited with fuel tube in side and out with springs. I liked it and it worked. But like anything there were pros and cons with terrain and driving style.

Disco Stu III 11-05-2016 03:51 AM

I just purchased boom racing high mass wheels. They look almost sexual, however, they are thicker through the centre than the stock items. The spindle or threaded shaft protruding from the diff housing is not quite long enough now for the wheelnut to get full purchase on forementioned shaft. Not sure whether to lathe the wheels out a millimetre or two (a1/16" or 1/32"), or get axial axle shafts/cvd's. Will they slot straight into the factory diff? Could I perhaps fit 20mm extensions to current standard axle, which may have longer output shaft to suit thicker wheels? Help.

Mikeyznsacto 01-14-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StomperCrawler (Post 5474761)

25T I just replaced it

hillbillyrc 01-15-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco Stu III (Post 5585323)
I just purchased boom racing high mass wheels. They look almost sexual, however, they are thicker through the centre than the stock items. The spindle or threaded shaft protruding from the diff housing is not quite long enough now for the wheelnut to get full purchase on forementioned shaft. Not sure whether to lathe the wheels out a millimetre or two (a1/16" or 1/32"), or get axial axle shafts/cvd's. Will they slot straight into the factory diff? Could I perhaps fit 20mm extensions to current standard axle, which may have longer output shaft to suit thicker wheels? Help.

Axial shafts will fit stock locker but will be sloppy are most likely wear the out pretty quickly

Disco Stu III 01-19-2017 05:21 AM

I left out the extensions, goes well enough. Thanks for the reply though. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TacticalSanta 01-16-2022 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPconcepts (Post 5474804)
Here's a link to the one my buddy is using (25t) - RC Car Steering Servo Half Arm Horn 25T M3 Torque Aluminum Futaba Blue US | eBay

I can find $4 in my couch but I haven't quite seen anyone having to replace the entire servo yet

I have seen someone need to replace the servo, my best friend ended up getting a little splash of water on his during a winter crawling sesh last year, and ended up frying the servo, but after upgrading to a 30kg servo, I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want the upgrade. The servo speed and power really do help out quite a bit

bmxbryant09 01-06-2023 06:30 PM

I've finally stripped out the factory locker and now need the axial upgraded cross.

ferp420 01-06-2023 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxbryant09 (Post 6129750)
I've finally stripped out the factory locker and now need the axial upgraded cross.

you might as well upgrade the axles while your at it

scx10.2 axles are so cheap these days

its kinda a waist of money to upgrade or repair those e10 axles

Screwfly 01-07-2023 09:25 PM

Quote:

I stripped out the plastic lockers on mine blasting around on 3s.
I just got the all metal ones and called it good. I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of swapping in Axial parts that may or may not be discontinued.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

hnoroian 01-08-2023 09:11 PM

Quote:

Went all metal also. All parts are still easily available and cheap. Keep the plastic drive shafts and adjust the slipper as extra insurance.

bmxbryant09 01-14-2023 06:11 AM

I ended up just buying an new metal drop in locker. I plan on letting my kid drive this one more. I'm working on building up a capra kit