Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Xtra speed "steel" SCX10 axle housing for everest 10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Xtra speed "steel" SCX10 axle housing for everest 10

I bought one of these to use for my everest 10 to increase the front axle weight and durability. It was about $25 on amazon shipped from hong kong (took about 10 days). Here is my experience with this product thus far for those who are interested.

First of all it is not steel as advertised. That being said I didn't expect it to be at this price. It is not ferromagnetic, and I suspect it is a zinc based alloy.

It is heavy at 183 grams per my scale, though not the 200 grams that was advertised.

The biggest issue with it was fitment. My understanding was that an scx10 axle housing was fairly plug and play for the E10 apart from having to change out 4 bearings for 5 X 11 X 4 mm bearings. It was not a direct plug and play for me. I had to grind down the ends to get the c hubs to fit and also one of my 3 mm screws had to be ground down slightly to fit through the shock/link mount area. I had to grind/shape the piece that the upper links attach to as well. I also had to modify my stock hardware to fit through the housing (I could have just bought new screws, but didn't feel like making a trip to the hardware store). I also had to lengthen my tie rod slightly to remove toe in as the whole setup was a slightly wider than with the stock setup.

Even after doing those modifications I found the ring gear would not turn smoothly with everything screwed together. I eventually opted to enlarge the housing slightly and only tighten screws to just barely tight and this solved the problem. I suspect an alternative approach would have been to slightly grind down the area where the ring gear bearings sit, but I was afraid they might not turn very smoothly with this approach.

I haven't yet driven the truck (just got it working and it's raining), but it seems like the mod should achieve my goal of being much heavier and hopefully more durable than stock. Will update this post if I run into any other problems or issues with this product.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Xtra speed "steel" SCX10 axle housing for everest 10

Another update. I ended up adding splined beef tubes to do the XR mod. These axle housing required a fair amount to be ground down in order for the beef tubes to fit inside them.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have the same housings and i havent had any issues with the scx10 parts i havent run them yet though but its common knowladge that the scx10 parts and the e10 parts are just a hair off i would use all scx10 parts if switching to a scx10 housing
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I have the same housings and i havent had any issues with the scx10 parts i havent run them yet though but its common knowladge that the scx10 parts and the e10 parts are just a hair off i would use all scx10 parts if switching to a scx10 housing
I am using all scx10 parts now, but my initial review is with trying to adapt the xtra speed scx10 axle housing to use with mostly everest 10 parts. The beef tubes I added later were designed for the scx10 and would not fit in the xtra speed housing without grinding out quite a bit of material to allow them to fit.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

thought about doing this on my gen7... got any pics?
Jacobdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobdw View Post
thought about doing this on my gen7... got any pics?
Not ATM. My truck is currently in pieces (upgrading/modifying things). The housing I got just looks like a black metal SCX10 housing. It is silvery where it is scratched.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I bought one of these to use for my everest 10 to increase the front axle weight and durability. It was about $25 on amazon shipped from hong kong (took about 10 days). Here is my experience with this product thus far for those who are interested.

First of all it is not steel as advertised. That being said I didn't expect it to be at this price. It is not ferromagnetic, and I suspect it is a zinc based alloy.

It is heavy at 183 grams per my scale, though not the 200 grams that was advertised.

The biggest issue with it was fitment. My understanding was that an scx10 axle housing was fairly plug and play for the E10 apart from having to change out 4 bearings for 5 X 11 X 4 mm bearings. It was not a direct plug and play for me. I had to grind down the ends to get the c hubs to fit and also one of my 3 mm screws had to be ground down slightly to fit through the shock/link mount area. I had to grind/shape the piece that the upper links attach to as well. I also had to modify my stock hardware to fit through the housing (I could have just bought new screws, but didn't feel like making a trip to the hardware store). I also had to lengthen my tie rod slightly to remove toe in as the whole setup was a slightly wider than with the stock setup.

Even after doing those modifications I found the ring gear would not turn smoothly with everything screwed together. I eventually opted to enlarge the housing slightly and only tighten screws to just barely tight and this solved the problem. I suspect an alternative approach would have been to slightly grind down the area where the ring gear bearings sit, but I was afraid they might not turn very smoothly with this approach.

I haven't yet driven the truck (just got it working and it's raining), but it seems like the mod should achieve my goal of being much heavier and hopefully more durable than stock. Will update this post if I run into any other problems or issues with this product.
I recently installed E10 gearset in a plastic Axial SCX10 housing and found the same issue with fitment. What I ended up finding, was that (I believe) it is a pinion depth issue. The E10 pinion has a step on the bottom of it, which causes the pinion to set up off the bearing a bit. Installing the E10 pinion in both the E10 housing and the SCX10 housing and measuring from the top of the pinion to the diff bearing seat, showed a difference of roughly 1mm - the E10 housing letting the pinion set deeper in the housing. I ground the step off the bottom of the E10 pinion and it fit and works much better in the SCX10 housing. It's not perfect, as there is still some notch feel due to the gear mesh being a little tight still, but I think it's going to work good enough.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here's the pic of the housing after some use.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Just reading from the other thread ,then clicked, how you like them , would you recommend them ?
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
Just reading from the other thread ,then clicked, how you like them , would you recommend them ?
Once I got the fitment right they have performed as I hoped (giving increased durability and more weight over the front axle. As to whether I recommend them, I would only if you don't mind possibly needing to adjust things to get good fitment. You could also try the Boom racing version. I have no experience with it, but it is possible the fitment is better.

Xtra speed "steel" SCX10 axle housing for everest 10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boom racing scx10 Steel Axle housing slimfire 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 05-13-2016 08:15 AM
Has anyone tried any "Xtra Speed" beadlocks out? zanoob13 Axial SCX-10 20 06-12-2015 11:19 PM
Blakeski's xtra cab 2nd gen "Ginger" blakeski 1.9 Scale Rigs 58 04-10-2013 01:18 AM
Looking for stock "steel" wheels for the SCX10? SwampDawg 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 09-29-2010 09:48 PM