Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Everest Gen7 Pro Issues and Comments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Everest Gen7 Pro Issues and Comments

Just purchased and unboxed a new Everest Gen7 Pro. Noticed some issues right away.
1) There was a screw (85846) missing from the roof rack.
2) There was a "nick" in the antenna insulation on the receiver wire exposing the antenna wire. Not a big deal as I was switching to a Spektrum receiver to be able to use my DX4C transmitter anyway.
3) The screws (85837) holding the servo mounting plate (13814) to the chassis plate (13806) were loose.
4) The screws (85845) holding the steering servo (HX-15CS) to the servo mount (13814) were loose.
5) Two (2) of the wheel mounting nuts (70129) were loose.
6) One (1) of the bearings (02139) was missing from one (1) of the steering knuckles (18004).

Not major issues for me and everything is fixed and ready to run now. Be interested to hear if anyone else has seen any quality control issues such as these. Have to say though, I'm wondering whether I should do a complete teardown just in case there are hidden issues to resolve.

As others have mentioned, I am not impressed with the front wheel turning angle. Takes 25 feet to make a turn with this thing. It seems a waste to have CVA front axles and not make use of the wide steering angle available with this type of axle. My quick fix was to grind off the stops on the steering knuckles til I decide what might be a better permanent fix (that's how I found the missing knuckle bearing). Had to install wider hexes in the front so the tires don't rub the shocks at full lock. Went with 10mm I had on hand but probably 8mm wide would work. Stock hexes are 5mm wide and the extra 10mm of front track width is hardly noticeable. Probably have a steering angle equivalent to a stock SCX10 now.

I like most everything else except the cheap "scale" accessories for the roof rack. But, not a big deal considering the price point of this RC.

Will be a few days before I have a chance to trail this thing so I guess I'll find out then how it performs.

EDIT - have 2 runs in now. First run went pretty well but quickly identified an issue with front tire rub on body and bumper during full turn and suspension collapsed. Shortened links about 1/8" to see if this would help. Also slightly trimmed the body and bumper. Second run was today and still front tire rub at full turn, although not as bad. Thinking of taking another 1/16" off the links and maybe relocating the shocks to create more space between the tire and body. This would change the COG and maybe not look too good. See how it goes.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 10-26-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Update after 2 runs
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #2

Default Re: New Everest Gen7 Pro Issues and Comments

I haven't come across any assembly issues with my Sport yet, but I have identified some design related issues. The steering is the most obvious, but I also find the articulation in the rear to be poor. This is because of a few things. Most notably, the shock springs are way too stiff. I'm sure this helps with torque twist and with steep climbs, but I'm going to try softening the rear a bit. Second, the driveshaft bottoms out before the suspension, and it makes the motor plate bend. Other issues are minor: the bumper sticks out too far, but even that far out the tires rub it.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
RCC Addict

no real issues on my sport, replaced the shocks with Big Bores, installed MIP drive shafts and threw in a 35t motor. ditched the crappy banana connectors with deans. and running the rig on 3s. once the plastic pieces start breaking I.E. tranny gears, c hubs and knuckles they will be upgraded to stronger parts
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Did any of you have your front upper links mounted in the wrong spot? Mine were mounted in line with the lowers, and were too long to mount up high where the uppers are supposed to be. After I replaced them it handled much better
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I’ve been thinking about buying one but wonder if there will be upgrades available. Or if you would have to mod it with axial parts again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I’ve been thinking about buying one but wonder if there will be upgrades available. Or if you would have to mod it with axial parts again.
It's a little too early to tell, but right now there seems to be enough buzz around this vehicle that I suspect that some parts will start to show up. Fortunately, there's already a lot of compatibility with SCX10 parts, so even if the aftermarket doesn't show up, there aren't many things that you can't upgrade.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

On redcats site it shows quite a few upgrades, such as metal gears , steering components among other things. Ive got a bunch of Axial parts Im going to start putting in. the first will be a built up trans.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

This is what I found wrong with mine a lot of loose screws only mentioned the real bad ones.

shenlonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I don't understand buying this truck at all. I touched one today at the hobby shop and it gave me the shivers. I also felt like I had just stepped out of a time machine and was suddenly holding the first scaler I muddled together out of AX10 parts 8 years ago. There's nothing, and I mean nothing, worth owning on this truck. If you just cough up a few more bucks you can at least buy a used SCX10 if not an SCX10ii. This truck looked awful.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=ElChupacabra;5761271]I don't understand buying this truck at all. I touched one today at the hobby shop and it gave me the shivers. I also felt like I had just stepped out of a time machine and was suddenly holding the first scaler I muddled together out of AX10 parts 8 years ago.

I didn't buy mine because its groundbreaking but because its 200 bucks. Now I have something to build up over the winter. I have enough spare parts to turn it into whatever I want. I have plenty of bullet proof Axials if I want to beat on something, so to each their own.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys.
Here's what i did to my Pro to make it better either for free or cheap:

Bent the tie-rod to clear the pumpkin and added a couple washers at one end to fix the toe-in i now had:

Used counter-sunk screws here for more steering:

Cut the plastic bump in the knuckle for more steering again:

Counter-sunk screws under the skid plate:

Custom made battery plate, 3D printed:

CUstom made ESC plate, 3D printed:

32 pitch gears for peace of mind:

Results:

daver18qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

nice mods, the only thing I would change is that big ass tire on the hood
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
nice mods, the only thing I would change is that big ass tire on the hood
Haha yeah but it's my front weight bias
Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Nice work NightCrawler and Dave!

I started stalking... I mean "following" you Hog because I want to know what Axial parts fit; I started a thread on it here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...ade-parts.html

... so please feel free to contribute. Oh wait, you already found it. LOLZ
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver18qc View Post
Hey guys.
Here's what i did to my Pro to make it better either for free or cheap:
Great post, thanks!

I'm gonna try the bent link mod
Jacobdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

After 6 or 7 runs of ~3 hours my rear driveshaft is slowly disintegrating at the tranny side. The pins are starting to have alot of slop and will probably break soon. Oh well, the plastic WB8-HDs i have in spare will probably outlast the rest of the truck after that so not bad after all.

Oh and for the guys who bought a SPORT and don't know, you can get nearly all the PRO plastic parts 3D Printed, RedCat themselves posted the parts and some upgrades too !
Check it out !:
https://www.thingiverse.com/RedcatRacing/designs/page:1

I printed about 85% of this for my Pro, including the door handles, front grill, top grilles, spur cover (unfortunatly doesn't fit my bigger pinion, i have a 35t motor so needed bigger pinion), light buckets, chassis mounted servo plate, axial-width bumper mounts front and rear and underbody side-skirts !

Last edited by daver18qc; 12-10-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2guy View Post
So you don't own one and know it's not worth owning just by touching it?
I bought the Pro, a Sport, and have the SCX10 II. The SCX10 II is definitely the better truck and worth the extra expense. However, if price is the main consideration, the Gen7 is very good for its price.

I've done the bent link mod and ground off the knubs which improved the steering significantly. However, it is still not very good. I'm switching out the body to a more scale one and am planning to change out the whole axle setup to get more steering. It does mean that the cost is now close to that of a stock SCX10 II just to achieve a more scale body and better steering which the SCX10 II already has stock.

I would say it is worth owning, especially if it was bought for $160 from Tower during the sale.
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2guy View Post
So you don't own one and know it's not worth owning just by touching it?
I touched the TRX-4 and pre-ordered it. Didn't touch the Gen7, still bought it (last week), I love it. The Misses and I went for a run in the snow over the weekend, I have my stock red TRX-4 body velcro'd down to my Gen7 (Fits well!) and it did a damn good job in the snow.

My TRX-4 is running the same body painted black, without a roof rack, and got stuck when all diffs were unlocked. My Gen7, controlled by the Misses rocked through the snow. My only concern is some major body lean, lol.

BigSquidRC did a 1.9 scale trail shootout w/ 6 RTRs and the TRX-4 + Gen7 came out on top of the rest. Thought that was cool.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this rig is WELL WORTH IT and I paid $200, lol.

Last edited by ksonghasun; 12-11-2017 at 06:29 AM.
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #19

Unlike El poochacabra, I have not touched a Gen 7 but from what has been posted and shown on the internet, it has way more positives than negatives; plus only $279, it's a no toucher, er, I mean no-brainer. Mine arrives Wednesday and I will touch it......a lot.
ZR2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I don't understand buying this truck at all. I touched one today at the hobby shop and it gave me the shivers. I also felt like I had just stepped out of a time machine and was suddenly holding the first scaler I muddled together out of AX10 parts 8 years ago. There's nothing, and I mean nothing, worth owning on this truck. If you just cough up a few more bucks you can at least buy a used SCX10 if not an SCX10ii. This truck looked awful.
The shivers? Ooook. My wife had a similar experience trying to kill a spider, she is better now. Hope you be will too.
Rocking is offline   Reply With Quote

New Everest Gen7 Pro Issues and Comments - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Gen7 Sport project Jim85IROC General Scale Talk 31 01-16-2018 02:13 PM
Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 1/10th scale 1.9 603Hobby Redcat Crawlers 34 12-10-2017 08:17 AM
Anybody taken delivery on a Redcat Gen7 yet? attaboy General Crawlers 8 10-20-2017 09:49 AM
Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat jeepgeek2002 General Scale Talk 19 10-10-2017 06:02 AM
Review of tower pro mg958 servo for everest 10 Smokin' Joe Redcat Crawlers 10 10-20-2016 08:28 AM