Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Max Flex and climbing degree on Gen7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Max Flex and climbing degree on Gen7

What's the max flex and steepest degree climb have you had on Gen7. I'm not done modding and adjusting but I have flex at 4.5in and pretty sure I can take a 45 degree or better climb no problem just slow roll. Any suggestions on mods for Max results are welcome. I know the body is probably the biggest issue. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
gen7crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Max Flex and climbing degree on Gen7

That would be an interesting experiment. Get yourself a 1/4 sheet of plywood and prop it up against something so it is at 45deg and see if your gen 7 can climb it. Remember, be sure to take pictures or it never happened.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Why are people so obsessed with flex?

The incline a truck can climb depends mostly on tires. Well, unless it does a backflip in which case you add weight up front. Then it's back to being about the tires.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Maximum flex is not that critical to performance. The typical advice is to shoot for 1 tire height of flex. On my Everest 10 I limit my suspension travel to have about this much flex (stock is much more).

Climbing is an important limiting ability in crawling and is influenced by many factors. It will be improved by getting weight more forward--the typical advice is to shoot for 60% of weight on the front. It will be improved by lowering your CoG. Putting an overdrive gear in the front and/or an underdrive gear in the rear will also assist climbing. Good tires for the terrain is important. A longer wheel base helps climbing. Proper suspension setup helps. Minimizing torque twist helps. There may be other factors, but this is what I could think of off hand.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Tire test
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
That would be an interesting experiment. Get yourself a 1/4 sheet of plywood and prop it up against something so it is at 45deg and see if your gen 7 can climb it. Remember, be sure to take pictures or it never happened.
Will do

Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Why are people so obsessed with flex?

The incline a truck can climb depends mostly on tires. Well, unless it does a backflip in which case you add weight up front. Then it's back to being about the tires.
Really not obsessed but I am new to this crawler thing. I have a 80mph rustler, 100mph Sprint 2, nitro AE sc10, 50mph slash 2wd and hpi Savage. So speed and bashing are my nich in rc. Love this crawling thing tho. Advice is what I'm seeking. Thanks

Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Maximum flex is not that critical to performance. The typical advice is to shoot for 1 tire height of flex. On my Everest 10 I limit my suspension travel to have about this much flex (stock is much more).

Climbing is an important limiting ability in crawling and is influenced by many factors. It will be improved by getting weight more forward--the typical advice is to shoot for 60% of weight on the front. It will be improved by lowering your CoG. Putting an overdrive gear in the front and/or an underdrive gear in the rear will also assist climbing. Good tires for the terrain is important. A longer wheel base helps climbing. Proper suspension setup helps. Minimizing torque twist helps. There may be other factors, but this is what I could think of off hand.
Thank you for your detailed knowledge and advice. I will look into everything you said. Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I do have one question now. The overdrive and underdrive gears are specific made for brands and models. The Gen7 has limited upgrades but I'm learning what other models I can use to work with. Again thanks really appreciated.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Oh by they way I never measured degree of climbing I have just took a couple steep rock and Hill climbs. I could be off probably shouldn't have sounded so confident without actually measuring but the climbs I talked couldn't be done when I got this rig out the box. So I guess a little excitement was going on when I took down those climbs.lol

Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen7crawler View Post
Thank you for your detailed knowledge and advice. I will look into everything you said. Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I do have one question now. The overdrive and underdrive gears are specific made for brands and models. The Gen7 has limited upgrades but I'm learning what other models I can use to work with. Again thanks really appreciated.

Here is a thread about my fitment experience using axial brand gears for the Everest 10: Axial overdrive gear fitment for E10

The fitment should be pretty much the same for the Gen 7 as the axles and drive shafts are pretty much the same. I imagine any gear designed to fit the scx10 (not the SCX 10 II) should work, but I don't have personal experience with other brands (boom racing or the like).
Old 02-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Another factor that can help traction is proper foams, forgot to mention that.

You can make a climbing board to assess how your mods are affecting climbing ability. People typically put grip tape or the like on the wood to assist traction. This will tell you what angle you can expect to climb under ideal traction conditions, but it does take tires out of the picture as a factor in your rig's climbing (but who crawls on raw wood anyhow?).

I made a climbing board last winter and tested a couple of my vehicles. My recollection is a fairly stock Everest 10 was able to go up at 54 degrees max. My Everest 10 was able to go up 64 degrees. I'm sure if it was my only focus I could get it to go up a steeper angle, but my focus wasn't on just climbing (my local terrain makes things like ground clearance and breakover angle a big consideration). It also allows you to see how much torque twist you have as the really steep angles will induce quite a bit of it (my rig wouldn't go steeper once it started lifting its right front tire).
Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

smokinjoe is spot on. I might add that testing your truck is critical. So YOU know what works for you. Make certain that under full flex, full lock turn, your wheels are free and clear from rubbing anything. Also that your axles do not bind. These simple things are more important than you would think. And keeps everything smooth running without breaking your truck or tearing it up. Not to mention the ability to crawl better.

Small fuel line works great for limiting your shock travel. Stick to the one tire flex rule and you will find you have a pretty stable rig. Also keep things low. And do not pile the weight up front. You will find a a more centered weight distribution or slightly front bias(my preference) is ideal.

Hope this helps.

OH.......THEN after these things. Test your hill climbing ability. Actually before and after
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Good thread, this!
I found that 60:40 weight distribution is fine for my wraith, and gathered that most folks on here run about 60:40 too. Only thing that bugs me is I have a huge battery (3s 5Ah) relatively high under the hood. The heaviest single component, so it would be beneficial to get a lighter pack I can move lower.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Another factor that can help traction is proper foams, forgot to mention that.

You can make a climbing board to assess how your mods are affecting climbing ability. People typically put grip tape or the like on the wood to assist traction. This will tell you what angle you can expect to climb under ideal traction conditions, but it does take tires out of the picture as a factor in your rig's climbing (but who crawls on raw wood anyhow?).

I made a climbing board last winter and tested a couple of my vehicles. My recollection is a fairly stock Everest 10 was able to go up at 54 degrees max. My Everest 10 was able to go up 64 degrees. I'm sure if it was my only focus I could get it to go up a steeper angle, but my focus wasn't on just climbing (my local terrain makes things like ground clearance and breakover angle a big consideration). It also allows you to see how much torque twist you have as the really steep angles will induce quite a bit of it (my rig wouldn't go steeper once it started lifting its right front tire).
Thanks truly appreciate all the advance

Old 02-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
smokinjoe is spot on. I might add that testing your truck is critical. So YOU know what works for you. Make certain that under full flex, full lock turn, your wheels are free and clear from rubbing anything. Also that your axles do not bind. These simple things are more important than you would think. And keeps everything smooth running without breaking your truck or tearing it up. Not to mention the ability to crawl better.

Small fuel line works great for limiting your shock travel. Stick to the one tire flex rule and you will find you have a pretty stable rig. Also keep things low. And do not pile the weight up front. You will find a a more centered weight distribution or slightly front bias(my preference) is ideal.

Hope this helps.

OH.......THEN after these things. Test your hill climbing ability. Actually before and after
Thanks...

Max Flex and climbing degree on Gen7 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP 8 Degree Knuckles/VP 8 degree Chubs carp40 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 08-02-2011 09:37 AM
What is your max climbing angle? MonsterDDT Tamiya CR-01 11 08-01-2008 05:48 PM
Max Degree of slope? jaxcoffee General Scale Talk 9 05-25-2008 09:41 AM
MAX flex of "the stick" STANG KILLA SS Tamiya Clod Buster 6 11-25-2006 11:59 AM