Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Exclamation Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Just got an email from Redcat that the Aluminum 'near-zero ackermann' aluminum steering knuckles for the Gen7 Sport and Pro are available!!!

Part #180090S @ Redcat Racing - Best Nitro / Electric RC Cars, Trucks, Buggy, Crawler

Already ordered mine. Can't wait. Such a dork.

The aluminum 15deg chubs aren't available yet sadly. 180003S
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Just got an email from Redcat that the Aluminum 'near-zero ackermann' aluminum steering knuckles for the Gen7 Sport and Pro are available!!!

Part #180090S @ Redcat Racing - Best Nitro / Electric RC Cars, Trucks, Buggy, Crawler

I just ordered mine, can't wait to put them on and see how much more angle I can get. I really like the gen7, almost bought an scx10 II but got the gen7 instead and I'm glad I did!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
dodrillkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #3

I ordered mine last night too. Don't buy these expecting to get more overall angle though. The steering mods that are already being done to the factory steering can take you as far as the CV axles are capable of going. This mod won't let you go further. What it will hopefully do is provide better steering through improved ackerman angles. Additionally, for those who don't feel comfortable doing the free mods, this should be a simple bolt-on solution to get better steering.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I ordered mine last night too. Don't buy these expecting to get more overall angle though. The steering mods that are already being done to the factory steering can take you as far as the CV axles are capable of going. This mod won't let you go further. What it will hopefully do is provide better steering through improved ackerman angles. Additionally, for those who don't feel comfortable doing the free mods, this should be a simple bolt-on solution to get better steering.

^^^^^ This.

I run Axial cvds on mine, which get a couple of extra degrees of steering.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Other pluses would be strength and some more weight down low and in front right where everyone likes it.
hillbillyrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
^^^^^ This.

I run Axial cvds on mine, which get a couple of extra degrees of steering.
Are the axial CVA shafts considered stronger and/or better than the CVAs that come with the Gen7 Pro? Capable of tighter turns?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The Everest is a SCX10 copy, so if you want to upgrade it get some already upgraded scx10 axles. Plenty of scx10 owners that sells them so they can upgrade to a scx10 2 axle. Or better yet just get a scx10 2 axle. And while you are at it, get a SCX10 skid and transmission so you can get the links towards the center and a transmission that has proper gears and bearings
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:

Yeah.. And I just registered this very minute to warn anyone interested.. The knuckles (180090S) WILL NOT WORK with the stock chubs. Too much splay thru-holes are the wrong i/d. Unless, of course, they put the wrong parts in my bag.
Anyone else have the same problem?!?!?!
NineOuncePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Are the axial CVA shafts considered stronger and/or better than the CVAs that come with the Gen7 Pro? Capable of tighter turns?
They are stronger. they also don't get "notchy" as soon as the stock Redcat axles do, which is why they are capable of a few degrees of extra steering. I blew out the stock CVA on my first 3s pack I ran through it. It also took out the inner C-hub with it. I went to axial inners, high steer knuckles and CVA's without having a problem since then, including two comp's.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOuncePrime View Post
Yeah.. And I just registered this very minute to warn anyone interested.. The knuckles (180090S) WILL NOT WORK with the stock chubs. Too much splay thru-holes are the wrong i/d. Unless, of course, they put the wrong parts in my bag.
Anyone else have the same problem?!?!?!
They aren't ment to work with the stock c-hubs only the aluminum ones. Cause of the caster engineered in The the combo if c-hub/knuckles.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
They aren't ment to work with the stock c-hubs only the aluminum ones. Cause of the caster engineered in The the combo if c-hub/knuckles.
Wow. Boy do I feel stupid. I never put two and two together and realized that they needed the aluminum chubs. Duh. Makes perfect sense. Sure wish they had made that clear on their website. I was gonna order them immediately when they came available anyway but it didn't register to me that I couldn't use the knuckles until then. Damnit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 04:44 AM   #12

Well that's a huge disappointment for them to leave out that kind of information. Guess I will start looking into a 4 wheel steering setup now, hopefully something simple like just swapping the rear axle with a front one. I did grind the "knub" off the stock knuckle but I don't like the idea of grinding on the gear housing of the axle.

dodrillkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrillkyle View Post
Well that's a huge disappointment for them to leave out that kind of information. Guess I will start looking into a 4 wheel steering setup now, hopefully something simple like just swapping the rear axle with a front one. I did grind the "knub" off the stock knuckle but I don't like the idea of grinding on the gear housing of the axle.

Don't give up just yet. Check this out by Jim85IROC. Really worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOMPsHpXpbg

Disappointing; yes. I'll still be waiting for the chubs just the same.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemudder View Post
I think I'll just wait until they are both available. Why would they release one but not the other?
Agreed. Makes no sense. Are you listening Redcat?! Already sent an email.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #15

I to already ordered the high steering knuckles. Can someone please give me the redcat part number of the c hubs that are going to be required to get these to work? Thanks.
TunedUpDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post
I to already ordered the high steering knuckles. Can someone please give me the redcat part number of the c hubs that are going to be required to get these to work? Thanks.
bottom of first post but not available yet.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post

180003S

180003S | Redcat Racing
Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Wow. Boy do I feel stupid. I never put two and two together and realized that they needed the aluminum chubs. Duh. Makes perfect sense. Sure wish they had made that clear on their website. I was gonna order them immediately when they came available anyway but it didn't register to me that I couldn't use the knuckles until then. Damnit.

I didn't think that they needed the aluminum chubs because I wasn't aware that the aluminum chubs had a different caster angle. I thought they were an aluminum copy of the stock parts.

I guess I'm going to be ordering the chubs if they don't fit the stockers.

After looking at the aluminum chubs, I still don't see anything that indicates that they're different than the plastic ones, nor is there any mention of them being different. I've seen guys run the aluminum knuckles with the stock chubs and with the aluminum chubs, so I'm still skeptical that they're actually different.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I didn't think that they needed the aluminum chubs because I wasn't aware that the aluminum chubs had a different caster angle. I thought they were an aluminum copy of the stock parts.

I guess I'm going to be ordering the chubs if they don't fit the stockers.

After looking at the aluminum chubs, I still don't see anything that indicates that they're different than the plastic ones, nor is there any mention of them being different. I've seen guys run the aluminum knuckles with the stock chubs and with the aluminum chubs, so I'm still skeptical that they're actually different.
Very different.. believe me. I'm still VERY happy with my Gen7 overall. But; I think it's a kick in the arse to think you've ordered the OEM fix for $20 only to find out that you will need to spend another $25 to make 'em work correctly. Not to mention that if you are obsessive/compulsive (as hobbyists are) you're gonna want the rear lockouts to match.. Now we're in it $70 to get to a turning radius that the truck should have had straight out of the box. And if you bought the pro for $275 have spent as much as an RTR SCX10ii. Kinda seems calculated. On well.. Such a small problem to have.

Last edited by NineOuncePrime; 01-15-2018 at 05:18 AM. Reason: replaced rear "chubs" with "lockouts" thanks, hillbilly!
NineOuncePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:42 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOuncePrime View Post
Very different.. believe me. I'm still VERY happy with my Gen7 overall. But; I think it's a kick in the arse to think you've ordered the OEM fix for $20 only to find out that you will need to spend another $25 to make 'em work correctly. Not to mention that if you are obsessive/compulsive (as hobbyists are) you're gonna want the rear chubs to match.. Now we're in it $70 to get to a turning radius that the truck should have had straight out of the box. And if you bought the pro for $275 have spent as much as an RTR SCX10ii. Kinda seems calculated. On well.. Such a small problem to have.
Gen 7 doesn't have chubs in the rear.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum C's n Knuckles ?? DORK VADER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-06-2009 01:21 PM