Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Trumansburg, NY
Posts: 95
Exclamation Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Just got an email from Redcat that the Aluminum 'near-zero ackermann' aluminum steering knuckles for the Gen7 Sport and Pro are available!!!

Part #180090S @ Redcat Racing - Best Nitro / Electric RC Cars, Trucks, Buggy, Crawler

Already ordered mine. Can't wait. Such a dork.

The aluminum 15deg chubs aren't available yet sadly. 180003S
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: US
Posts: 28
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Just got an email from Redcat that the Aluminum 'near-zero ackermann' aluminum steering knuckles for the Gen7 Sport and Pro are available!!!

Part #180090S @ Redcat Racing - Best Nitro / Electric RC Cars, Trucks, Buggy, Crawler

Already ordered mine. Can't wait. Such a dork.

The aluminum 15deg chubs aren't available yet sadly. 180003S
I just ordered mine, can't wait to put them on and see how much more angle I can get. I really like the gen7, almost bought an scx10 II but got the gen7 instead and I'm glad I did!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Everest10Dad likes this.
dodrillkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Readsboro, VT
Posts: 967
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

I ordered mine last night too. Don't buy these expecting to get more overall angle though. The steering mods that are already being done to the factory steering can take you as far as the CV axles are capable of going. This mod won't let you go further. What it will hopefully do is provide better steering through improved ackerman angles. Additionally, for those who don't feel comfortable doing the free mods, this should be a simple bolt-on solution to get better steering.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pioneer, 95666
Posts: 372
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I ordered mine last night too. Don't buy these expecting to get more overall angle though. The steering mods that are already being done to the factory steering can take you as far as the CV axles are capable of going. This mod won't let you go further. What it will hopefully do is provide better steering through improved ackerman angles. Additionally, for those who don't feel comfortable doing the free mods, this should be a simple bolt-on solution to get better steering.

^^^^^ This.

I run Axial cvds on mine, which get a couple of extra degrees of steering.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clackamas
Posts: 1,665
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Other pluses would be strength and some more weight down low and in front right where everyone likes it.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Trumansburg, NY
Posts: 95
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
^^^^^ This.

I run Axial cvds on mine, which get a couple of extra degrees of steering.
Are the axial CVA shafts considered stronger and/or better than the CVAs that come with the Gen7 Pro? Capable of tighter turns?
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 683
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

The Everest is a SCX10 copy, so if you want to upgrade it get some already upgraded scx10 axles. Plenty of scx10 owners that sells them so they can upgrade to a scx10 2 axle. Or better yet just get a scx10 2 axle. And while you are at it, get a SCX10 skid and transmission so you can get the links towards the center and a transmission that has proper gears and bearings
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 5
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Just got an email from Redcat that the Aluminum 'near-zero ackermann' aluminum steering knuckles for the Gen7 Sport and Pro are available!!!

Part #180090S @ Redcat Racing - Best Nitro / Electric RC Cars, Trucks, Buggy, Crawler

Already ordered mine. Can't wait. Such a dork.

The aluminum 15deg chubs aren't available yet sadly. 180003S
Yeah.. And I just registered this very minute to warn anyone interested.. The knuckles (180090S) WILL NOT WORK with the stock chubs. Too much splay thru-holes are the wrong i/d. Unless, of course, they put the wrong parts in my bag.
Anyone else have the same problem?!?!?!
NineOuncePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pioneer, 95666
Posts: 372
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Are the axial CVA shafts considered stronger and/or better than the CVAs that come with the Gen7 Pro? Capable of tighter turns?
They are stronger. they also don't get "notchy" as soon as the stock Redcat axles do, which is why they are capable of a few degrees of extra steering. I blew out the stock CVA on my first 3s pack I ran through it. It also took out the inner C-hub with it. I went to axial inners, high steer knuckles and CVA's without having a problem since then, including two comp's.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clackamas
Posts: 1,665
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOuncePrime View Post
Yeah.. And I just registered this very minute to warn anyone interested.. The knuckles (180090S) WILL NOT WORK with the stock chubs. Too much splay thru-holes are the wrong i/d. Unless, of course, they put the wrong parts in my bag.
Anyone else have the same problem?!?!?!
They aren't ment to work with the stock c-hubs only the aluminum ones. Cause of the caster engineered in The the combo if c-hub/knuckles.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Trumansburg, NY
Posts: 95
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
They aren't ment to work with the stock c-hubs only the aluminum ones. Cause of the caster engineered in The the combo if c-hub/knuckles.
Wow. Boy do I feel stupid. I never put two and two together and realized that they needed the aluminum chubs. Duh. Makes perfect sense. Sure wish they had made that clear on their website. I was gonna order them immediately when they came available anyway but it didn't register to me that I couldn't use the knuckles until then. Damnit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:44 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: US
Posts: 28
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Well that's a huge disappointment for them to leave out that kind of information. Guess I will start looking into a 4 wheel steering setup now, hopefully something simple like just swapping the rear axle with a front one. I did grind the "knub" off the stock knuckle but I don't like the idea of grinding on the gear housing of the axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
dodrillkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #13
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Trumansburg, NY
Posts: 95
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrillkyle View Post
Well that's a huge disappointment for them to leave out that kind of information. Guess I will start looking into a 4 wheel steering setup now, hopefully something simple like just swapping the rear axle with a front one. I did grind the "knub" off the stock knuckle but I don't like the idea of grinding on the gear housing of the axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Don't give up just yet. Check this out by Jim85IROC. Really worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOMPsHpXpbg

Disappointing; yes. I'll still be waiting for the chubs just the same.
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Trumansburg, NY
Posts: 95
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemudder View Post
I think I'll just wait until they are both available. Why would they release one but not the other?
Agreed. Makes no sense. Are you listening Redcat?! Already sent an email.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Amarillo
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

I to already ordered the high steering knuckles. Can someone please give me the redcat part number of the c hubs that are going to be required to get these to work? Thanks.
TunedUpDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clackamas
Posts: 1,665
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post
I to already ordered the high steering knuckles. Can someone please give me the redcat part number of the c hubs that are going to be required to get these to work? Thanks.
bottom of first post but not available yet.
TunedUpDiesel likes this.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #17
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Trumansburg, NY
Posts: 95
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post
I to already ordered the high steering knuckles. Can someone please give me the redcat part number of the c hubs that are going to be required to get these to work? Thanks.

180003S

180003S | Redcat Racing
TunedUpDiesel likes this.
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #18
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Readsboro, VT
Posts: 967
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Wow. Boy do I feel stupid. I never put two and two together and realized that they needed the aluminum chubs. Duh. Makes perfect sense. Sure wish they had made that clear on their website. I was gonna order them immediately when they came available anyway but it didn't register to me that I couldn't use the knuckles until then. Damnit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I didn't think that they needed the aluminum chubs because I wasn't aware that the aluminum chubs had a different caster angle. I thought they were an aluminum copy of the stock parts.

I guess I'm going to be ordering the chubs if they don't fit the stockers.

After looking at the aluminum chubs, I still don't see anything that indicates that they're different than the plastic ones, nor is there any mention of them being different. I've seen guys run the aluminum knuckles with the stock chubs and with the aluminum chubs, so I'm still skeptical that they're actually different.
Everest10Dad likes this.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 5
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I didn't think that they needed the aluminum chubs because I wasn't aware that the aluminum chubs had a different caster angle. I thought they were an aluminum copy of the stock parts.

I guess I'm going to be ordering the chubs if they don't fit the stockers.

After looking at the aluminum chubs, I still don't see anything that indicates that they're different than the plastic ones, nor is there any mention of them being different. I've seen guys run the aluminum knuckles with the stock chubs and with the aluminum chubs, so I'm still skeptical that they're actually different.
Very different.. believe me. I'm still VERY happy with my Gen7 overall. But; I think it's a kick in the arse to think you've ordered the OEM fix for $20 only to find out that you will need to spend another $25 to make 'em work correctly. Not to mention that if you are obsessive/compulsive (as hobbyists are) you're gonna want the rear lockouts to match.. Now we're in it $70 to get to a turning radius that the truck should have had straight out of the box. And if you bought the pro for $275 have spent as much as an RTR SCX10ii. Kinda seems calculated. On well.. Such a small problem to have.
Everest10Dad likes this.

Last edited by NineOuncePrime; 01-15-2018 at 05:18 AM. Reason: replaced rear "chubs" with "lockouts" thanks, hillbilly!
NineOuncePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:42 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 295
Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOuncePrime View Post
Very different.. believe me. I'm still VERY happy with my Gen7 overall. But; I think it's a kick in the arse to think you've ordered the OEM fix for $20 only to find out that you will need to spend another $25 to make 'em work correctly. Not to mention that if you are obsessive/compulsive (as hobbyists are) you're gonna want the rear chubs to match.. Now we're in it $70 to get to a turning radius that the truck should have had straight out of the box. And if you bought the pro for $275 have spent as much as an RTR SCX10ii. Kinda seems calculated. On well.. Such a small problem to have.
Gen 7 doesn't have chubs in the rear.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum C's n Knuckles ?? DORK VADER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-06-2009 01:21 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com