Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scx10 axles swap! Is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scx10 axles swap! Is it worth it?

I was online looking to purchase complete front and rear scx10 axles for my Gen 7 Pro. Before I invest the 100+ bucks for no reason just thought I get some knowledge elsewhere.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
gen7crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Scx10 axles swap! Is it worth it?

Not worth it. ( At least for me ) it would be great to consider to Sell your Gen7 Pro and Buy a SCX10 II kit. More worth it than you just buy the Complete axles. If you like to crawl plastic housing case is better than aluminium.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Unless they are substantially upgraded it is not worth it. There is no significant advantage to running the scx10 axle at the rear. At the front there is only an advantage if the axle is significantly modified to gain extra steering...stock is pretty comparable to the redcat axle.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Unless they are substantially upgraded it is not worth it. There is no significant advantage to running the scx10 axle at the rear. At the front there is only an advantage if the axle is significantly modified to gain extra steering...stock is pretty comparable to the redcat axle.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Not worth it. ( At least for me ) it would be great to consider to Sell your Gen7 Pro and Buy a SCX10 II kit. More worth it than you just buy the Complete axles. If you like to crawl plastic housing case is better than aluminium.
Thanks and I'm looking into other kits or rtr but I plan on keeping the Gen7 and pushing it to the limits. There are things I wouldn't change because it would be better to buy a scx10 or 2 like skid plate and transmission. I was under the impression that the scx10 axles and diffs where better. Also a straight swap out no modding. Help here pls

Old 01-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Changing or modifying the skid to triangulate the lower links is a worthwhile change and not all that expensive. It does requiring changing your link length if you want to keep the same wheel base. There is no need to change the transmission for this modification.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Changing or modifying the skid to triangulate the lower links is a worthwhile change and not all that expensive. It does requiring changing your link length if you want to keep the same wheel base. There is no need to change the transmission for this modification.
Thanks didn't know. Changing skid isn't hard but so u know the length of the new links needed?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 AM   #8
RCC Addict

You need to measure your stock wheelbase and make the new link in the same length.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen7crawler View Post
Thanks didn't know. Changing skid isn't hard but so u know the length of the new links needed?

Per the vader products facebook page (if you went that route): "The fronts are 4-3/4" and the rears are 5", this will give you a 12.5" wheelbase."
Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was online looking to purchase complete front and rear scx10 axles for my Gen 7 Pro. Before I invest the 100+ bucks for no reason just thought I get some knowledge elsewhere.

Really if you want axial axles but with out buying them. Modding your stock axle to use axial parts is a good way to go. My experience is with the Everest 10 axles but are the same as the gen7. Haven't got all my parts for the front axle yet. But fully by it the rear with axial parts. And did all the trimming and shaving with a file. It was super easy.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Per the vader products facebook page (if you went that route): "The fronts are 4-3/4" and the rears are 5", this will give you a 12.5" wheelbase."
Thanks

Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
You need to measure your stock wheelbase and make the new link in the same length.
Looking for plug nd play solution at the moment

Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Really if you want axial axles but with out buying them. Modding your stock axle to use axial parts is a good way to go. My experience is with the Everest 10 axles but are the same as the gen7. Haven't got all my parts for the front axle yet. But fully by it the rear with axial parts. And did all the trimming and shaving with a file. It was super easy.
Thanks I think at the moment I'm just plug and play swaps. So I'll save the axles for when I mod the rear drive shaft. Not trying to put it on the shelf. work load is heavy right now

Old 01-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

To be honest you won't be able to do that many mods to this platform if you only want plug and play. There aren't that many aftermarket products specific to the Everest platform (though there seems to be more stuff coming out with the release of the Gen 7). Axial products have a lot more aftermarket support and thus more plug and play upgrades. Many of the products intended to upgrade to SCX10 can be used on the Everest platform, but typically require some tinkering to make things fit and perform the way they should.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I agree with Joe.

Reelly the rear axle is mostly plug and play. The shimming of the pinion (still plug and play just little time consuming if you want underdrive gears). The lockouts were the only real modded item cause I was using a file and didn't want to take to much off just enough.

The pic below shows the spot the lockouts needs trimmed just enough. Besides A sight trim of the nub on the housing where the lockout/ (c-hub if doing the front axle) so everything will slide together. Its pretty simple and if you have done the free mods for steering you can do this.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thanks fellas I guess I'll be modded some things lockers,diffs and such but I'm thinking of getting a second crawler too. It's like my other rc cars nd trucks. I started out with one and ended up with multiple lol. Any opinions on scale trail trucks? Like trail finder 2 or crossrc pg4l.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Both great trucks from what I've seen. The cross is a little harder to find and probably get parts for. The trail finder 2 is a great platform and has lots of tech and upgrades.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Both great trucks from what I've seen. The cross is a little harder to find and probably get parts for. The trail finder 2 is a great platform and has lots of tech and upgrades.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Only thing stock is body and chassis! I haven't changed my servo because it's still in the mail.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Only thing stock is body and chassis! I haven't changed my servo because it's still in the mail.

Steering upgrades

Scx10 axles swap! Is it worth it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 esc swap Ducky Newbie General 5 01-03-2015 12:04 AM
scx10 axles for portals trade? worth it? jebster General Crawlers 8 06-22-2013 11:35 AM
What are new axles worth nightfiref7efi Tamiya Clod Buster 2 04-12-2013 12:54 AM