Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat is making an upgraded axle design for the Gen7 and everest10 (Pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #81

Default Re: Redcat is making an upgraded axle design for the Gen7 and everest10 (Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post
I'm not sure why Redcat chose to use social media to market these things. Very odd.

The $1000 price tag on the website is clearly a place holder until these things are approved? They list as "in stock"?
They did it this way so that they could sell the pre-orders. Those of us that did the pre-buy got a coupon code for $930 off the $1000 price. It's those pre-orders that are showing as "in stock". I believe those who were on the pre-buy list have until August 1st to get them at the $70 price.

After that I think you'll either see them become available at the regular $100, or they'll show as out of stock until the next batch arrives.

I believe that Redcat used social media because they reach more people that way. The Gen7 Facebook page has hundreds of members, and the regular Redcat page has thousands. Contrast that with the Redcat forum here on RCC, which has roughly 6 active people.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #82
RCC Addict

Default Re: Redcat is making an upgraded axle design for the Gen7 and everest10 (Pics)

There is definitely a stigmata to redcat on the forum here. The gen7 and Everest 10 have opened a few eyes here tho at least imho more than the rs10 did.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

You get what you pay for but I have been very happy with my Gen 7 Pro. I had a servo go out shortly after I purchased it but I bought it used so it wasn't that big of a deal. I like the Gen 7 and I have wanted a BIG crawler for a while so I bought the Rockslide Super Crawler which is the RS10's big brother. That got me hooked on 4 wheels steering so I now also just recently bought the 1/24 Sumo Crawler which is the little brother to the RS10. Redcat's CS is top notch. The hub caps fell off my Rockslide and they sent me a set of wheels. Then the servo went out and they sent me a new servo. I think many of the issues people have is that they are using them for things they weren't designed for, like I jumped it off the 3 foot curb at WTF and it broke, duh!

I to am waiting for the portal axles. I signed up when the preorder was announced figuring I probably would buy them when the time came but when it did I changed my mind. I have the front of mine moded with more weight and now I want to see it the portals are better, if not I'll put the stock axles back in. I'm wondering what they are going to do to the COG
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
You get what you pay for but I have been very happy with my Gen 7 Pro. I had a servo go out shortly after I purchased it but I bought it used so it wasn't that big of a deal. I like the Gen 7 and I have wanted a BIG crawler for a while so I bought the Rockslide Super Crawler which is the RS10's big brother. That got me hooked on 4 wheels steering so I now also just recently bought the 1/24 Sumo Crawler which is the little brother to the RS10. Redcat's CS is top notch. The hub caps fell off my Rockslide and they sent me a set of wheels. Then the servo went out and they sent me a new servo. I think many of the issues people have is that they are using them for things they weren't designed for, like I jumped it off the 3 foot curb at WTF and it broke, duh!

I to am waiting for the portal axles. I signed up when the preorder was announced figuring I probably would buy them when the time came but when it did I changed my mind. I have the front of mine moded with more weight and now I want to see it the portals are better, if not I'll put the stock axles back in. I'm wondering what they are going to do to the COG
The ride height isn't supposed to change, but so far it seems like the portals are heavier than the stock axles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #85

Mine just arrived! I haven't had my wife's axles out but these are definitely beefy feeling. My scales had the contents bag at 19.4 oz. Everything looks to be well sorted & labeled. It has a QR code, on the bag, linking an assembly guide. Looks like it'll be a fun little project!
Inurhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

My portals showed up today too. Took the bags out of the bag all numbered. The only down side I've seen so far and it isn't a big deal is that all the screws are in one bag so it will probably be easier if they are sorted before assembly starts. First impression is nice......

The included paper is only the parts list. There's a QR code on the bag for the instructions, they were also on the Redcatracing website too.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

The directions for the portals says to use black grease in the diff and on the CVD's. Black grease in the diff and portals would be okay as they are in a sealed environment. However the CVD's are in an open environment when dirt can get in, don't think it's a good idea to use the black grease there. For areas like that I use Purple Extreme. It's a synthetic lube used on bicycle chains. I like it as it goes and wet then you just let it dry. Not cheap but I have been using the same bottle for several years. I put it on my tie rod ends and other suspension parts too.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I saw the part about using "black grease" I intend on using the same marine grease as I normally use for axles.
We'll see what happens, I am waiting to assemble until I get my upgraded bearings from Jim's Bearings.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #89

I use axle bearing grease for everything. I got both axles put together today and I'm quite happy with them. I started installing them into the truck, and so far I'm less than thrilled with that process. The instructions seem to be a bit vague, and I've had to more or less figure it out on my own. I had to turn the upper links 90 degrees to keep them out of the driveshaft, and it seems like the shocks are nowhere near vertical anymore. Those are minor nits overall though.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I use axle bearing grease for everything. I got both axles put together today and I'm quite happy with them. I started installing them into the truck, and so far I'm less than thrilled with that process. The instructions seem to be a bit vague, and I've had to more or less figure it out on my own. I had to turn the upper links 90 degrees to keep them out of the driveshaft, and it seems like the shocks are nowhere near vertical anymore. Those are minor nits overall though.
It did look like the shocks don't end up vertical anymore from the diagram I saw, and yeah the install instructions do look pretty loose for sure.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #91

Anybody else have trouble with pinion & ring gears meshing?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Yeah I saw the part about using "black grease" I intend on using the same marine grease as I normally use for axles.
We'll see what happens, I am waiting to assemble until I get my upgraded bearings from Jim's Bearings.

Haven't had time to really look at it yet. In the manual what they call bearings look like bushings to me. Does it come with ball bearings or bushings?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inurhead View Post
Anybody else have trouble with pinion & ring gears meshing?
I found that if you don't get the locker assembly fully seated in the housing that the mesh isn't real good once you tighten the cover down. I pulled it back apart, made sure the pinion was pressed in all the way, then made sure the ring/locker was fully seated, and didn't experience any more binding when I reinstalled the cover. I do still find the mesh to be a bit notchy, but at least it's not binding.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Haven't had time to really look at it yet. In the manual what they call bearings look like bushings to me. Does it come with ball bearings or bushings?
It is all ball bearings, the only bushings may be the kingpins on the front axle.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #95

I took the shoulder off of the pinion gear, that stops the bearing, & things smoothed up a lot. I think the pinion is rubbing against the locker itself!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inurhead View Post
I took the shoulder off of the pinion gear, that stops the bearing, & things smoothed up a lot. I think the pinion is rubbing against the locker itself!
Good to know. Maybe I'll take mine back apart and give that a try!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #97

So far, I'm not impressed at all with how these axles actually fit into the chassis. The lower link mounts on the new axles are too far inboard and this causes the links to hit the chassis, which severely limits suspension travel. I had to move the lower links to the outside of the link mounts on the front axle to stop this. The panhard rod is also making the front suspension bind on one side. Lastly, I can't use a standard servo arm because the servo sits to high in the mount, causing the arm to interfere with the servo chassis plate and the frame rails. I had to order an offset arm, which won't be here for a few days.

I'm real impressed with the axles themselves, and completely unimpressed with how they integrate into the truck.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:39 AM   #98
Rock Stacker

Jim, can you post some pictures? Or someone?
cjhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhike View Post
Jim, can you post some pictures? Or someone?
I'll have a video up in a day or two. I finished shooting the videos last night, now I need to edit them.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #100
Rock Stacker

Where do you post videos? Here or do you have a YouTube channel?
cjhike is offline   Reply With Quote

Redcat is making an upgraded axle design for the Gen7 and everest10 (Pics) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Gen7 Sport project Jim85IROC General Scale Talk 31 01-16-2018 02:13 PM
Redcat gen7 with 2.2’s? rj_dio Redcat Crawlers 9 01-14-2018 08:51 PM
Redcat gen7 cut it off? shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 0 11-03-2017 07:13 AM
Anybody taken delivery on a Redcat Gen7 yet? attaboy General Crawlers 8 10-20-2017 09:49 AM
Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat jeepgeek2002 General Scale Talk 19 10-10-2017 06:02 AM