Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 7 drive shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Gen 7 drive shafts

First off what the hell does Redact use to keep the grub screws from coming loose on their drive shaft? liquid weld or something. So, Went to take the shaft loose on the rear to trim the shaft down so it wouldn't bind, Bam striped the grub screw out.. I got a tiny bit bigger allen driver and tapped it in and heated up the screw Bam striped out again!!! had to drill it out. Decided I would check the tranny for grease, well this time I prepared I heated up the grub screw to get the shaft off the tranny side Bam tip broke off the Allen driver in the grub screw, tried to drill it out but the the allen tip was so hard that didn't work so I had to cut it off with my dremel and a cutoff wheel. I got it off and the tranny apart and it didn't have a drop of a smear of grease anywhere so I greased it GOOD then sealed the tranny, if you dont check stuff like that you should. I figured since I messed up the back drive shaft I might as well try to get the others off and some heat and they came right off like a charm. I took the rear apart to check for grease and it had some but to me not enough so I greased it up GOOD and sealed it, I just need to do the front and everything will be lubed up and sealed up. So i'm in the need for new drive shafts what should I go with?? doesn't have to be super expensive as long as they are better than stock ones.

[IMG]IMG_20180409_134021 by Blake Love, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Crawl-N-Clod; 04-10-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Crawl-N-Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gen 7 drive shafts

They probably mistakenly used red Loctite instead of blue. LOLZ

I like the Axial wb8 set myself; be sure and get the couplers, not just the plastic replacement parts. Should run ya about $30 for a full set.

If you wanna go cheap then Traxxas makes some expendable driveshafts; tra1953 is the part number and here's more info:
scx10 drive shafts
Doesn't look like they include couplers but maybe the stock Gen7 couplers could be used, unless drilling them out destroyed them.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 04-10-2018 at 10:21 PM.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 7 drive shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM