Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Grrr, Im getting so aggravated with my sons gen7. What to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Grrr, Im getting so aggravated with my sons gen7. What to do?

Since we got my sons gen7 its had issue after issue. My son only drives his gen7 when I run mine. Theybare a month old.. He does the exact same stuff I do and is no harder on it then I am on mine. Which isnt very rough. Since we got it, Redcat had to warranty the esc and rx. Got those fixed. Still runs a battery down atleast 45 minutes before mine. Atleast it runs right now.

Then the steering servo craps out a few days ago. So while its waiting on the new steering servo I decided to clean the axles and grease them. Well that turns into a major headache. I disassembled the rear axle. It looked great. Cleaned it all up, put in new grease and put it back together. I put the tires on the rear axle and the right rear axle shaft has a ton of play in the locker. Its not going to take much for it to strip out.

Then I take apart the front axle, it gets even better. The bearings for the locker and ring gear are seized. They are discolored black and blue from heat. I couldnt get it to spin at all.. Then notice the 4 screws that hold the locker are backed out far enough that they ate into the axle housing.

Idk what Im gonna do. It needs a new rear locker, new front housing, new front ring gear, new screws for locker and new bearings. Will redcat warranty these parts?
Nobody79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Grrr, Im getting so aggravated with my sons gen7. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody79 View Post
Since we got my sons gen7 its had issue after issue. My son only drives his gen7 when I run mine. Theybare a month old.. He does the exact same stuff I do and is no harder on it then I am on mine. Which isnt very rough. Since we got it, Redcat had to warranty the esc and rx. Got those fixed. Still runs a battery down atleast 45 minutes before mine. Atleast it runs right now.

Then the steering servo craps out a few days ago. So while its waiting on the new steering servo I decided to clean the axles and grease them. Well that turns into a major headache. I disassembled the rear axle. It looked great. Cleaned it all up, put in new grease and put it back together. I put the tires on the rear axle and the right rear axle shaft has a ton of play in the locker. Its not going to take much for it to strip out.

Then I take apart the front axle, it gets even better. The bearings for the locker and ring gear are seized. They are discolored black and blue from heat. I couldnt get it to spin at all.. Then notice the 4 screws that hold the locker are backed out far enough that they ate into the axle housing.

Idk what Im gonna do. It needs a new rear locker, new front housing, new front ring gear, new screws for locker and new bearings. Will redcat warranty these parts?
Obviously I don't speak for Redcat, but it sure sounds like those bearings were defective and there was an assembly issue from the factory.

Have you ran it in water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Deepest water was maybe 1". Not enough to touch the housing.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Im thinking the worn lockers and running down batteries quickly is the front diff bearings being seized and the locker screws digging into the housing. So the truck fought that for the last few weeks and wore out the lockers.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Deepest water was maybe 1". Not enough to touch the housing.
That shouldn't have seized the bearings.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Im thinking the worn lockers and running down batteries quickly is the front diff bearings being seized and the locker screws digging into the housing. So the truck fought that for the last few weeks and wore out the lockers.
Very much agreed.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Ive had mine in about 6" of water. After I went through the creek he picked his truck up and jumped across. We had just replaced his esc and he didnt wanna chance messing up his truck. I went through my axles last week they had very lil surface rust on the bearings and alot of grease in them. When I opened His front axle, I was expecting it to be like my axles or cleaner but had no grease in front and barely any in the rear axle.

I filled out a warranty claim for the second time this week. Redcat probably dont like me much. Lol
Old 04-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #8

Man u got the luck.the e10s we have have been pretty good beside a hexfly steering servo dieing on then one.only turned right.replaced it with a traxxas servo.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
93muskrat351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm not saying it's your fault or blaming anything on you. But things like this are exaclty why I always go through and check everthing on any rtr's that I buy. I don't care if disassembling it voids any warranty becasue if it sh*ts the bed, either way I have to fight to get something warrantied. And what better way to learn your rigs than to tear into them.
EZCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #10

The bearings in the G7's are metal shielded and not the best quality for a crawler, imo.

I'd buy a full set of bearings from Avid or Fast Eddy' s and replace all of them. Will probably save you further headaches in the future.

I've not been easy on my G7 Sport and it has held up great. Used hard but not abused. Best $200 I've spent in a long time. Sorry to hear of your problems.

Hope you get this ironed out and back on the trail!
Snake -Belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ive had mine in about 6" of water. After I went through the creek he picked his truck up and jumped across. We had just replaced his esc and he didnt wanna chance messing up his truck. I went through my axles last week they had very lil surface rust on the bearings and alot of grease in them. When I opened His front axle, I was expecting it to be like my axles or cleaner but had no grease in front and barely any in the rear axle.

I filled out a warranty claim for the second time this week. Redcat probably dont like me much. Lol

My e10 axles were both dry (no grease) as well. Seems to be hit or miss in that dept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
E10rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

This is the exact reason I tear into my trucks before i run them, before my gen7 ever touched the ground i tore down both axles repacked them with grease as they didn't have enough for my taste. I tore down the tranny and it didn't have trace of grease at all in it, packed it full and now all is good....
Crawl-N-Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

My kids have been beating theirs and have only broke a rear bumper.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

DSM Off-Road has a good bearing kit for the Gen 7. They are on ebay, amazon or you can buy from their website. Put a set in my cousins a while back for him and they are holding up great.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #15

It definitely sounds like you got a lemon, my kids and I have beaten the everloving crap out of my E10 with zero breakage.
Neal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Absolutely no issues with my gen7. I took the trans apart to clean it and it was bone dry. But no damage.

I feel bad my sons has had problems and mine hasnt. Redcat customer service is top notch. Sent them pics of every damaged part. They sent replacements today. Except for the new lockers, cause they r on backorder. After checking my lockers today, i found mine have alot of slop where the axles slide in. I beleive They are aluminum. Im going to put hardened steel scx10 lockers in both our rigs. Already ordered sealed bearings too.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:03 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Absolutely no issues with my gen7. I took the trans apart to clean it and it was bone dry. But no damage.

I feel bad my sons has had problems and mine hasnt. Redcat customer service is top notch. Sent them pics of every damaged part. They sent replacements today. Except for the new lockers, cause they r on backorder. After checking my lockers today, i found mine have alot of slop where the axles slide in. I beleive They are aluminum. Im going to put hardened steel scx10 lockers in both our rigs. Already ordered sealed bearings too.
The metal lockers for the Redcat crawlers are aluminum and have a fair bit of slop even new. That being said, they've seemed to hold up ok. If you change to SCX10 lockers you will need to file the shafts get them to fit, but you should be able to get a tighter fit.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #18

Sorry to hear about your luck, but this is why myself and others urge people to spend more money up front to avoid these low-quality nightmares.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sorry to hear about your luck, but this is why myself and others urge people to spend more money up front to avoid these low-quality nightmares.

That is a nice way to say that.

Regardless, if he has a seized bearing, I would think that it would be covered by the manufacture. I would take some pictures and send them the issue to resolve it.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
That is a nice way to say that.

Regardless, if he has a seized bearing, I would think that it would be covered by the manufacture. I would take some pictures and send them the issue to resolve it.
I agree. I'd contact Redcat with the issues and voice my displeasure as well and see if they take care of you.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Grrr, Im getting so aggravated with my sons gen7. What to do? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Already having trouble out of my sons Gen7. What could ut be? Nobody79 Redcat Crawlers 5 04-17-2018 06:39 AM
GRRR, broken knuckles! 04zrx Traxxas Crawlers 9 03-30-2013 07:20 AM
iTunes Artwork Grrr Tupers Chit Chat 25 09-14-2009 05:13 PM
dumb electronics....grrr... spookyseven Electronics 7 10-14-2005 10:45 PM