Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New to crawlers - Gen 7 Pro noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Default New to crawlers - Gen 7 Pro noise?

I have recently dipped into the crawler world, more specifically this is actually my first venture into the hobby grade R/C world. I have watched lots of scale crawling videos and it has been a strong interest for quite some time. I purchased myself a Redcat Gen 7 Pro and my son a Gen 7 Sport. We both love the crawlers and have been driving them locally in parks, campsites, etc.

I have noticed since that I have been using my Gen 7 Pro that it has developed a clicking noise from the passenger side back wheel/tire. I have a recorded a video of this and I will put the link below. I have had the truck maybe 4-5 months and it has not been abused. Its hard to tell where the issue exists from the audio in the video alone but in person my son and myself both concluded that the sound was very prominent from that side. I am not sure if its coming from the axle or the differential. Anyway, I want to fix the problem and I am not afraid to take the truck apart. I am looking for some advice and guidance in which direction to go first. Thank you for your time!

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13vZ...ew?usp=sharing
Roty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New to crawlers - Gen 7 Pro noise?

Welcome to the hobby! It definitely sounds like there is something binding/rubbing. I've had plenty of weird noises that went away after a nice cleaning and lubrication of all moving parts. I would start off by pulling of the rear axle, check for no cracks or obvious issues, and then cleaning out the old grease, blast the bearings with cleaner and regrease everything. That's definitely a good place to start, at least in my experience. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriftmasterj View Post
Welcome to the hobby! It definitely sounds like there is something binding/rubbing. I've had plenty of weird noises that went away after a nice cleaning and lubrication of all moving parts. I would start off by pulling of the rear axle, check for no cracks or obvious issues, and then cleaning out the old grease, blast the bearings with cleaner and regrease everything. That's definitely a good place to start, at least in my experience. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice! I will do that and see what I find.
Roty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #4

The other thing to check while you have axle off is that the plastic locker didn't strip out or crack. Both of my boys had that happen. If it did, replace it with the solid aluminum hsp 180009. It is a direct fit replacement that even uses your same bearings. Cheap at around 10. Best upgrade.

If you start doing more crawling instead of trails a cheap 27t to 35t motor will make it more controllable for the slow crawling stuff.

Welcome to the redcat addiction and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote

New to crawlers - Gen 7 Pro noise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen 7 pro fenders on sport Nycrawler85 Redcat Crawlers 4 07-18-2018 02:38 AM
Wraith vs sx10 2 or Gen 7 pro Fasteddy107 Chit Chat 16 04-12-2018 08:08 PM
My custom Gen 7 Pro AngryViper Redcat Crawlers 4 03-28-2018 10:56 PM